Chrysler 26 has a Patented self locking swing keel

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Chrysler20%26

Chrysler 26 has a Patented self locking swing keel

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

The manual an the brchure say the the 26 has a self locking swing keel. (how does it work)??? It is a Patented self locking swing keel, if we could get the pat. # we could look it up.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

As I understand it, the top of the keel has a tapered section that supposedly fits exactly into a matching tapered section of the keel pocket. So its a friction fit if the keel is all the way down, and if everything is clean on the keel and in the pocket...
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I would think if Chrysler was going with friction it would have been like the pin set-up on the C-22 , I like the idea its adjustable.

Can you patent tight fight ...if so I had ...never mind :twisted:

Not having the swing keel version I'm not sure how it works.

Are the pivot assemblies different from the C-22 and C-26?

I know theres a few C-26's in this area I would like to visit but that one at the coast has keep me running east ( big kid new toy :D )
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Mario

Feel free to stop by anytime, if you want a look at a swing keel c26. At this point however with so much removed during it overhaul, it's a sad representation of the model and its trailer still holds it captive. I'm sure I would learn much more from your observations than you from mine. :wink:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 2980
Pandora (for now)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Windward provides some light on the keel wedging here on this thread

viewtopic.php?t=2090&highlight=keel+wedge
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Thank's EE, an Windward . I have been looking at a lot of trailerable 26's. ( thinking of getting a better boat ) After a long study, I think I have mad up my mind, as to which one is the best for my needs. Chrysler 26 is the best I have found. With just some up grads, I hope to be sailling many more years. In the year 2011 my 26 will be 32 years old, an I will be 64. So @ 1/2 my age, an with the up-grads to help me keep up with hear. The Chrysler 26, an I should be sailling for a long time. I will be saleing my other two boats in the spring.
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

I did a patent search from 1976 to the present and nothing shows up under the "Chrysler" name. I also checked "swing keel" and again nothing. It is possible that the patent predates 1976 but if you broaden the search you will go all the way back to 1790, I don't have that much time. Without cutting into the swing keel case to see how things work, I'll accept Windwards description.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

There's a handy article on replacing the swing keel cable on Windward's site at http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/sail_swingkeel.html

and on it step 5 includes a link to to a photo which shows the tapered area the keel head would wedge into, and if you look closely part of the taper on the keel.
Gus

Post by Gus »

I'm glad my 22 doesn't lock the keel down. I run aground so much that I used it as a deep finder! :)
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

While a taper wouldn't be patentable, the use of a taper on the upper portion of the keel might be.

I haven't come up with anything yet either.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com