previous lurking guest finally registered

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
terra firma sailor

previous lurking guest finally registered

Post by terra firma sailor »

Good evening fellow chrysler enthusiasts.......My first post and short intro, My name is Wayne and I live near San Antonio in south Texas.My day job...well actually work nights is a correctional officer for the state in one of the max security units not far from the Texas coast.
My status is pretty much terra firma as my member name says. I recently aquired 2 chrysler sailboats and have never sailed a day in my life! In partial trade for home improvement labor a friend at the lake gave me a 1977 buccaneer 18, and on july 4th I purchased a 1978 chrysler c22 for an offer accepted I could not pass up. The previous owner posted a $3500 price on craigslist......after following it for about a month he had gone to $1500. Upon looking at it he called me 20 mins later offering it to me for $1000. I offered $800 and he accepted and delivered it to me 50 miles away. The boat is complete except for for the broken mast step and being very dirty and full of oak and pecan tree leaves.
I was all set and scheduled for 2 days sailing lessons last month in august at the Corpus Christi Yacht club on the Texas gulf coast.....however i took a fall from the roof of a 2 story house on aug 16th and broke myself up pretty bad. I am now even more land locked for a few months recovering from my injuries. I can only look out the window at my 2 sailing vessels and dream for now. I have taken many adventures in my mind and searched and found all the sailing vids on u tube lately. Thanks guys for all your great posts, pics and stories and videos.....they entertain and inspire me greatly. Thanks again and will post some pics of the boats when I find the disc.......Wayne
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Welcome Wayne Hope you are well soon

Since you admit lurking, you know we want pictures, :lol:

$800 sounds more then fair foe what you have discribed in the C-22. Working on them helps get to know them before you splash. Its great you have the C-18 to sail also.
FranS

Post by FranS »

Welcome, I hope when youa re feeling up to it you will post some pics!Nice price on the c-22
sailbob2

Post by sailbob2 »

Welcome aboard Mate! lots of fun and interesting things happen around here - like falling off of roofs - LOL - though at the time I don't expect it was a laughing matter. Myself having a very real fear of falling. (#1 reason I sail and not hang glide - LOL)
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Welcome to the forum, as I'm sure you know this is the best place to be when it comes to needing to know something about a Chrysler sailboat. I'm learning this first hand myself as I overhaul my c26. Don't let it feel like a handicap I have to this point never sailed a day in my life. In my younger days I too was laid up for a while... even while standing on the ground. 32% second and third degree burns of my upper body. So much for being young and invincible.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Welcome aboard!

It never ceases to amaze me where I run into fellow correctional officers. I retired after 23 years with the Feds, most of it in max security.

And I'll second Alan's thank you re: getting up on the roof. It's going to cost me $3k to get my roof stripped and re-shingled. I believe it will be $3k that I can live quite happily with.

Don't worry about DNG questions. I've asked plenty, and these guys are always cool with it.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
Lucky Jack

Post by Lucky Jack »

Welcome. I've only been around a couple months but seems like lots of helpful folks on these forums. Several other Texans here too I've noticed, which could be good or bad I guess depending upon your outlook. :D
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Big Welcome from me too!

Hope your recovery goes well & you can move all your fingers and toes!

Billy
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

LeatherneckPA wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me where I run into fellow correctional officers. I retired after 23 years with the Feds, most of it in max security.
Well, then here you are with another - EE's pic used to sit on a desk in my office located 2 gates down a max seg wing. Policy and Procedure/ACA acrred manager, as well as a GED instructor at one point !
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

Welcome aboard Wayne

The hinge plate fix for the mast step is a really good way to go. I am on Lake Whitney, about 25 mi. North of Waco. We have several other C 22 sailors around the state also, and glad to have another on the forum. Anything I can be of help with feel free to get in touch.

Andiron120
77, 22, CATCH 22
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

Welcome
Way to jump in with both feet.(sailing I mean.) Way to work a seller on the price of the 22. I did a similar thing with a Venture 22, only it took me all summer. He started out at 2000 and Labor Day weekend I towed it home for 950. The electric start 9.9 and the full suit of sails were worth 2000 +.

You'll enjoy the Bucc its a fun fast boat and the 22 is a comfortable family boat, fun in another way. You've got it all covered.

Hope you're back in shape to use them soon.
Clair
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Welcome! Hope you are on your back feet soon. Sounds like you did well on the 22. I think you may have set a new standard on boat deals. Jeff
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Welcome and hoping for a speedy recovery!
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Welcome aboard Wayne and praying for a speedy recovery. We need more sailors to combat the Pbots
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

WOW! Go away for a few days and a TON of new members join up!
Maybe I should stay away longer! LOL!

Welcome aboard! Sorry to hear about your accident.

But hey, you have a great boat!

Again, welcome!
Scott
terra firma sailor

new member looking for arm chair adventure

Good evening all. Thank you again for the welcomes from all and wishes for a speedy recovery. I do have a bit of cabin fever but a shattered pelvis and hip and same for my forearm and wrist will take some time to heal the dr's say........it has now been 5 weeks since my tumble. My poor wife bless her heart.
Anyway with all this time I am back and forth between the tv and my laptop for entertainment. I recently discovered and read about an absolutely amazing transatlantic solo voyage beginning from Falmouth Ma. to Falmouth England beginning june !st 1965 and arriving in England aug. 17th 1965.
The man sailing a 13.5 ft. wooden boat. It was written by him and includes many original photos. The unbelievable adventure and danger simply floors me. here is the site if you want check it out. www.clevelandmemory.org/ebooks/tinkerbelle/ . Be warned..I could not stop reading once I started, about 250 pages.
terra firma sailor

Sorry everyone, I just realized this sailing story would have been better as a new post..wayne
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Wayne, I can (somewhat) relate, not that I'm injured, but living in Wisconsin, we have at least 4 months out of the year that sailing is just...not very much fun, if at all.
I have found the best treatment for my sailing withdrawls is to follow sailers blogs on the web.
Two winters ago there was the http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/ , last year I followed http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/ this year I'm thinking that this http://www.whiteoceanracing.com/ will get me through the cold weather, He's planing on sailing backwards around the world (east to west) :shock:

Get well soon, and welcome aboard!
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Wayne,,,

Thanks for that link,, very enjoyable read during slow time at work!

Billy