EARL

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Mario G

EARL

Post by Mario G »

I'm still not sure what to think and I know I'm not in this alone but theres a threat of another hurricane. I'm hopeing to get good advise on dock lines and how to leave them adjusted for possible changes in water levels? what about bumpers on non-floating docks? I might try to tarp it but after seeing what 65mph gust do to a sail is there any point?
I'm lucky there is docking cleats along the deck and I have 6 lines tied now.

I hope for everyone things go well.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

The only line left holding EE after Katrina was one I tied from a stern eye to a loop around a piling below the dock.

Cleats pulled up and out on the boat as they aren't backed at all beyond a washer or two, the small tree I wrapped an anchor around was in the water with the anchor, and a couple lines broke.

But that line around the piling and thru the stern eye was still there.

I think you are right on the tarp, it might be so much wind resistance that it does more harm than good !
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I have no practical experience with hurricanes. What I have read though is to remove as much windage as possible. Adding a tarp I believe would be counter productive. If you have rollor furling, drop the sail and take it off. IF you have the main flaked on the boom, remove it. IF you have a sail cover or boom cover, remove it. If you have a dodger or bimini, remove it. etc.

Makes perfect sense to me.
Just a thought.

Scott
kokezaru

Post by kokezaru »

I have yet to be anywhere near a hurricane, and the earthquakes in California just don't have a significant effect on boats (at least so far, no significant tsunomis yet).
But I have friends that have gone through them, on thier boats, and oh the stories they tell!

Listen to Scott, get everything off the top side of the boat, you might even consider removing the mast and taking it to a safe place (If there is such a thing). One of my friends had decided to leave thier mainsail attached to thier boom, and thought they could lash it in place. So they lashed it with a rope every four inches to keep it from flapping around. After the hurricane, they found the sail was torn, you guessed it, ever four inches!

Listen to EE too. Use lots of ropes, tied to everthing that is solid. In the BVI, they said when a hurricaine is comming, the docks look like a spider web, with lines criss-crossing everywhere. I thought it was interesting that they even sink some small dinghys to the bottom of the harbor so they don't get blown away.
--Richard

'77 Chrysler C26 "Imori"
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

kokezaru, that happened to my bimini, I wrapped it tight and after the storm all I had was the strap I wrapped it with, still in place.

I told everyone EE survived when nothing else near her did because she was too heavy to blow away and too ugly to sink.
Windward

Post by Windward »

Never had to grapple with prepping my boat for one, although did secure a charter boat against the tail end of Alberto there a number of years back.

Be sure you make use of the towing/lifting eyes to secure lines... they're strong.

As was said: strip all canvas. Take anything you can off of the boat.

Double all of your lines.

Be sure you have chafe protection on all lines.

Be sure the outboard can't get smashed into the dock.

Raise the rudder, if it raises. Consider diving and lashing the blade to the stern eyes so that it cannot get twisted.

You should have her tied so that she cannot touch anything, so fenders may not be an issue. If you do attach some, use the toe rail and not the stanchions.

Secure the hatches, and consider sealing all the hatches with duct tape.

Laminate your name / contact info, tape one copy on the outside of the washboards, one copy inside the boat.

Not sure how much storm surge you might see where you are, but cross the stern lines and be sure you have enough slack in them. You might consider setting a couple of anchors in the lagoon to keep you off of the dock.

Check with Paul to see if he has any suggestions. If you're well-tackled, he might suggest you take her out into Broad Creek and set a bunch of anchors with lots of rode. You are less likely to get dock slammed there.

If $ is at a premium (isn't it always?) remember that the marine consignment store in Oriental may have some decent anchors and line available at a reasonable price.

Let us know what you do, and how it goes.
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

Mario,

The only thing close that I have been in was Hugo in 1989. It came through our place, roughly 240 miles inland, still gusting over 80 MHP. Down on Lake Norman it may have been a little higher. Hugo removed 100% of the boats in the water and docks from our club and deposited them in a pile on the lee shore. Long and short of it is don't underestimate the wind. Take anything of value off the boat. Stripping all sails and canvas off would be a minimum.

Holiday
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

Mario
Do everything mentioned above. clear the decks. Remove the boom and if not a big procedure, remove the motor. I know when I took the Honda off that boat it took close to 2 hrs. But that was in the dark @ 20 degrees.

Tie all your lines high on the pilings, short lines will pull your boat under. How far are you from your boat? I'm sure others in the marina have been through this before and should be able to give you sound advice.

When Isabel came through my dock wasn't built yet and the boat was at Point Marina up the side ditch. It was well protected with no problems. Our shed was built and we had 12" of water in it 42" off the ground.

I just have to hope for the best. Being 500 miles away my 26 is always tied for hurricanes. My Venture 22 is tied to the trailer in the yard and the trailer is chained to a deep concrete tie down. It will float around but shouldn't go anywhere. We should be well protected from big wave acton.

Here's hoping
Clair
Windward

Post by Windward »

Other thing I was thinking is that in Paul's marina, you could readily spiderweb lines to all four shores. That will give you room to rise and fall with the surge, but still keep you from getting bashed to bits on the seawall. Big concern there might be the other boats, because if they come loose you know who they'll come visit.
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Well I'm headed out in the morning to batten down the hatches and have talked to Paul the marinia owner. I might get to do the long weekend if the storm passes with no problem.
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

As you can see I stripped Shaken Not Stirred for the HINO (hurricane in name only) The storm we got caught in was far worse.

hope everyone fairs as well
Windward

Post by Windward »

Buddy, ya gotta swear that the bungie cord was not a major structural component of that storm strategy :shock:

You guys were very fortunate that Earl was in a good mood. Even though it didn't hit hard there, I'd still not have wanted to be around Diamond Shoals
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41025 or points further east http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41001 while Earl was in the hood. I'm pretty sure that 39 foot significant wave heights with a 10 second period is well on the other side of terrifying, and those ain't even the big ones that would have been out.
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

LOL the bongies were just to see how far it would move in a cove that you could use thread to hold in place but I'm sure you know this Jeff :D

It was set up to deal with a 6' raise in water level.

I felt good when I got the thumbs up from the old salts there.

I know theres otheres on the way so I figure it was a good test