WHO ARE YOU??? Come one . . . Fess up you lurkers! LOL!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

WHO ARE YOU??? Come one . . . Fess up you lurkers! LOL!

Post by CaptainScott »

OK, I know it has already been done but I'm noticing a lot of new names and my curiosity is creeping in again! LOL!

How about a quick bio from each of you? Members and lurkers alike! Share yoyur interests and what you do! You may be amazed at some of the common interests we all have!!!

At the risk of boring you all, I'll start.

I'm Scott otherwise known as Captain Scott.
I do have my ticket so it is official. It includes the OUPV, Masters, towing and sailing certs.
Been sailing as long as I can remember. Started on Sunfish but the first boat I ever owned was od all things a Chrysler Dagger!

I work for AT&T Labs in research. 21 yrs seniority. Eeek.
Very happily married with 3 kids. Almost an empty nester ( crossing my fingers)

Hobbies are very diverse.
Sailing, Corvettes ( thus my signature ), Motorcycles, scuba, kayaking, photography, RC of all types. Playing classical guitar, kites,astronomy, and any type of electronic gadgets! Hmm, there are more but that is the currently active list.

Long list of previously owned sailboats.
Currently own a Chrysler 22' and a 40' Beneteau. All my sailing is primarily focused on cruising safely and comfortably. We day sail and teach on the 22'er and take extended vacations on the 40'er. My teaching is ment to compliment USPS type of classe. No books per say. I provide water time and practical experience. How to start a cold motor. How to dock in river currents and wind, help you on your boat. Dropping and setting anchor properly. etc. your boat or mine.

OK, enough of me. Lets here it!
I know, again for some of us but hey!
Bring it on! There is a lot of good stuff and good people out there!
You never know who is close to you and with similar interests!

Scott
John K

Post by John K »

Ha ha, funny thread title.

I am a Louisiana boy through and through, and I can make a mean pot of gumbo or boiled crawfish. 37, Married, 2 kids (5 & 1, we got a late start). I'm a electronics geek of sorts, my job is as a defense contractor; maintaining, modifying, and testing B-52 flight simulators at Barksdale AFB. Component level circuit board and instrument troubleshooting and repair are my specialties. I have only a few years of sailing under my belt, mostly as crew on my friend's Catalina, so the Chrysler is my first sailboat. I've had a couple of small powerboats, or "stinkpots" in the past. I am somewhat of a firearm enthusiast, but not a "kook", as they say. I've enjoyed a bit of duck hunting and fishing in my life, but it's been a while. I'm an avid New Orleans Saints fan, and have thoroughly enjoyed their recent successes. I'm also a big fan of the Apple Mac, and I was an Apple technician for about 9 years before this gig started in 2000. I have a lot of motorcycle riding time under my belt, starting at about the age of 12, up until very recently when I sold my bike to buy a sailboat! I have a fairly good history of mechanical tinkering, and recently rebuilt a trashed Suzuki atv that someone gave me, it now runs like a top. All of my sailing so far has been on a 9000 acre lake close to where I live. I will be slipped (hopefully this weekend) on a secluded end of the lake where it is not at all uncommon to see a few alligators around. Right next to my friends' assortment of sailboats. As I get more experience, we may make plans to do a little coastal cruising in the gulf. I expect that as I start getting some use out of my boat, it will prompt more participation here. Cheers!
1977 C22: Dog House
Guster

Post by Guster »

70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

I'm Tom, a very happily married 49 year old. I think Cathy lurks now and then, so I won't give her age. We have 3 daughters, with one still at home (HS senior next year), and 2 grandsons.

My education is in photography but somehow I wound up in Information Technology many years ago. I'm currently the IT Manager for a medium size tool, die and stamping shop.

I'm a lifelong bicyclist and sports car enthusiast who learned to sail on a sunfish one weekend and went out and bought a 16' cat the next weekend. Did I mention I like to go fast? The 16' gave way to a Hobie 18, but that fell by the wayside as I got more involved with cars for a several years, working my way up to instructing at High Performance Driving Events. I'm also an active shooter who enjoys punching holes in paper and educating people on the US Constitution's 2nd Amendment.

I always intended to get back to sailing, and when looking for a more family oriented activity it seemed to fill the bill. Wife and daughter took to it like ducks to water, and even seem to enjoy helping with the restoration of our 79 C-26.

PS
I'm also a lifelong Cubs fan, in case anyone hasn't figured that out yet.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

I was born in June 62 years ago ad was out on a boat that summer and haven't missed a summer yet. I'm married 36 year sand we have a son and daughter, both married. We have 3 grandkids 5,3, 20 mos. We live in Bucks county Pa and have a house on the water 2 hours away at the Jersey shore. We are there weekends from May to October. The Hydrasport and a Venture 22 are at the dock, the Prindle 16 is on the lawn at the top of the ramp and the board boats are under the house. we also have a house in North Carolina with a waterfront lot just around the corner where the C26 and the other Venture are. The 26 is at the dock and the venture is rigged on a trailer in the yard. WE have a ramp there also. I was in the Coast Guard whee I started out as a boiler tender on a weather cutter and then spent 3 years as a helicopter mech.
I have a 66 Volvo 1800S and an 84 Chrysler Laser turbo, both living in progect world not getting any attention right now. My tow vehicle is a 89 Dodge Cummins Ram with 600k on it.
I have built industrial machinery most of my working career except for an 8 year break selling NAPA auto parts.
My wife has 1 more year of teaching then the plan is to retire and move to NC.
Boats and my cars keep me busy. Can't be bothered with pro sports , am a FOX news junkie and hope the country gets back on track
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

I was born in Clearwater FL. Grew up in my dad's shop, while he built sailboats. Raced sailboats my entire existance, up until recently. Started on Optis, Sunfish and moved into Lasers (Radials, 1's and 2's) Dabbled in Meleges scows, and crewed on several one designs and even some J-classes. Was a bowman on every boat I've ever crewed on. I was in the Coast Guard for 6 years, as a shipboard rescue swimmer and medic. Worked in machinery design and maintenance for 10 years before taking a career in Aerospace quality engineering. I will be 32 years old this summer and am the proud father of four girls, thats right, girls. I am married to one of the loves of my lives. I love surfing, sailing and motorcycles and long walks on the beach. just kidding on the last one! I live in a small town in southeast MI, I am a FL boy at heart, though I love it here too.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
trev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trev »

77 C25
Myasis Dragon
http://www.svmyasisdragon.com
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

I'm Mike 46 years old married to my high school sweetheart for 24 years this July. We have three boys 17, 12 & 9 and all play baseball. My sailing season starts the end of July when they are done playing ball.

I bought a 1970 Corvette 2 weeks before I graduated from high school in 1982. Owned it 3 years and sold it for a down payment on my first house. Three years later a friend was selling his 1970 Cutlass Supreme convertible I still have it today.

Other then sailing I like to travel. We have a motorhome and spend Christmas vacation in the Keys and try to travel west in the summer.

Started sailing when I was about 13 we were at a beach party on Lake Michigan and someone had a 14' Hobie I was given a 2 minute lesson and went out solo. Have been hooked ever since. My dad bought a C22 in the late 70's and moved on to a 26' S2 then a 32' Bristol. He also had a Buccaneer that he kept at my grandparents place in the Florida Keys.

I owned a small tool & die shop that I had to close about 6 years ago. In 1998 I was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and told that 80% of the people with ALS live 2 to 5 years after diagnoses, 10% live 5 to 10 years. It has been 11 1/2 years and I am still sailing.
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"
skyking

Post by skyking »

OKAY...Ive been lurking over the winter due to my outdoor passion hunting, as well as my honey do list around the house.

I'm 49 and happily married for 20 yrs, with 2 children,and I too am close to being an empty nester..

I'm an operations manager for a wholesale distributor with locations in 4 states, as well as a U.S.Navy veteran of 8 years, where I was an Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, as well as a Diver, with certifications in Scuba & Surface Supplied diving, & mixed gas operations.along with Free Fall skydiving hense the nick name "Skyking"

I got into sailing while stationed in Indian Head maryland where a few buddies and I would rent daysailor's from the Army Base at Fort Belvior Va.to go out on the Potomic river.

We've had power boats,jet skis,four wheelers and all of those gas consuming toys for several years and always had to haul everything somewhere to enjoy them. We have a beautiful statepark near our home that has a 20hp limit, which is what prompted us to gey a sail boat in order to enjoy what is practically in our back yard.

Our boat is a 1976 C22 that we had traded a jet ski for last spring that was close to being totally dismanteled, and now as you can see its looking pretty good, and to compliment the no wind days we have purchased a few kayaks to get the most out of a day on the lake...

We too would like to retire in the carolinas some day....
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

Hi. I am 53 years old, been married to the same wonderful woman for 31 years. Have two boys, one a metal fabricator who welds exotic metals, and the other one just graduated from the University of Tennessee and looking for a technical writing job. I am a construction project manager for a mid size company specializing in restaurants through out the south. I run sound at my church and for a rock cover band, play guitar, harmonica, and sing a little. I am a cavern certified (Not cave, not that crazy) scuba diver. I am working on my house on 76,000 acre Watts Bar Lake, which is where my sailboat will be slipped. You can go around the world from Watts Bar via the Tennessee and Tombigbee rivers. I have a 1966 Chris Craft Lancer runabout that I was restoring until I dragged the Chrysler home...I hope to have my C22 in the water for the first time (with me) next Friday. I crew on a Beneteau 34 that belongs to my best friend whenever I get time.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

I can't believe after all the trouble and expense to get it that I neglected to mention that I am a licensed captain with Inland OUPV and Towing endorsement.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Age... I took my first breath one Feb. morning 1956, life has been an adventure ever since. Ran over by a small pick-up truck at age 14. Married the love of my heart at age 22... 2ed and 3ed degree burns over 32% of my upper body at age 29. Along the way Philip and Megan came into our lives. There is only one word I can think of to describe my feelings in having a part in bringing them into theis world... humbled.

One does tend to ramble on about the past, but the present maybe more prudent here. Sailing and sailboats are a whole new world to me. The c26 I'm overhauling is the first sailboat I have been on... and yes I don't know how to sail at present. My adventurous life continues as this old dog tries to learn a new trick. By reading the above post and others I'm sure I'll be traveling this part of my life among good company. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

This is excellent,
I really enjoy reading about who is on the forum!
It makes me rethink at how diverse a group we are and yet we all are kind of the same!

Keep them coming!
Scott
astrorad

new member here...

Post by astrorad »

Hi Everyone,
I'm Bill From Kenosha, Wisconsin near the shores of Lake Michigan.
I fulfilled a life long ambition last year...I took sailing lessons at the Kenosha Yacht club at age 60...61 now. Recently sold my 1978 Newport 16 and purchased a 1976 Chrysler 22 in February. Had to help shovel her out of the snow to bring her back to town. Price $2000...she needs some tender loving care before we launch on Lake Michigan. Original Chrysler trailer too.

I have found this forum very helpful and I would like to thank Capt. Scott for his great pictures of keel pin overhaul. Gives me confidence in undertaking that task.

Interests here are also wide ranging...Amateur radio Advanced Class FCC liscense since 1974...amateur astronomy, 8 inch Newtonian telescope...musician, trumpet, guitar, very little keyboard, vocal...Membership Chairman of small local gun club...do some reloading...37 years as industrial electrician and still working...can do capentry... avid camper but with 5th wheel trailer nowadays...gettin soft !!!

New boat is solid...hull has been bottom painted gray and topsides green...I'm building a new rudder post assembly from scratch...gonna have a friend machine a new thru hull for rudder from 4 inch round Delrin...will rebed all the deck fittings...mast step looks great...will rewire electrical...companionway top needs new side flanges...rebed portlights...
keel pin brackets most likely...no sailing this season!!!
Emails always welcome here...Thanx for this great forum...Bill
Bill
shunt1

Post by shunt1 »

I am Steve and am 55 years young, since I never grew up. Currently living in Minnesota after moving here from New Mexico and White Sands Missile Range.

As a solftware engineer, I have been working with micro-computers since they were first invented. My first was the original Altair 8800 and I used to argue with a college student named Bill Gates.

My second wife was a "biker babe" and we have been married for 24 years now, but it could have been forever. That woman scared the hell out of me when I first found her, but that is exactly what made me fall in love with her.

I am a pilot and crashed my airplane four years ago. My spine was crushed and an artificial vertabra was inserted. It took me six months before I learned how to walk once again. I still fly and am not afraid, but have lost that "magic" feeling about flying.

Sailing is my replacement for flying, so I purchased my C-22 sailboat last year.

Well, just like my airplane, the "Weather Gods" are still offended with me and my mast went over the side two weeks ago. Damit!

This does not matter, because I am very stubborn and will repair my sailboat to "better than factory" conditon in the next few weeks.
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

I'm starting to see the beginnings of a Lake Michigan Chrysler Sailor Regatta...
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
Mizzousailor

A relatively new lurker....

Post by Mizzousailor »

Wes here....age 53 in Springfield, Missouri. I'm a longtime sailor, thanks to my Navy veteran Dad who taught his boys to sail on a Sunfish and later a Hobie 16 while stationed at Pearl Harbor in the '70s. As teens, my brother Dan and I once got caught in the wind shadow of an aircraft carrier coming in to Pearl...stuck without wind way too close to that behemoth.....caused a bit of a stir aboard the ship from what we could see (dang teenagers!)

Married a wonderful nurse practitioner and we raised 4 kids - two of whom are sailors. I've owned a number of sailboats, ranging from a Hobie 14 to a Clipper 26, though my first ship was a Chrysler Lone Star 16 with those unusual twin lee boards. Also had a Chrysler Buccaneer for a couple years in Kansas, and now am the proud owner of a 1978 Chrysler 20.

Thanks to weeks of tornado/cold/soggy weather here, the C-20 hasn't been splashed yet, but am hoping for a launch next week. My wife rolls her eyes at my current collection of sailboats - aside from the C-20, I have an ancient AMF Sunbird I restored and am in the middle of a rebuild of a SuperCat 19 catamaran - both bought for virtually nothing.

To pay for my follies, I'm a newspaper reporter. I like to meet my deadlines early so I can get home and get out on the water.
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

I'll turn 59 this month.
I've lived in North East Ohio all my life.
Been married twice, currently 18 years.
I have four kids, all working and drug free.
I've been building things since I was four, according to mom, who is 92 and living with my wife and I.
I've worked in research for the last 24 years. I'm a designer, welder, machinist, CNC programer, cabinet maker, model maker, boat builder. I've built four wooden rowing shells, one of my own design.
I built a thing called the Bricycle a couple of years which I plan to produce in some small quantity to augment my retirement income.
I started sculling in 88, it has been the best thing I could have done for myself.

My first sailing experience was aboard an Alberg 30, caught in a tornado, just of Chicago's south end. My dad bought a Sea Snark at Salvation Army when we returned from that experience, later a Comet. I bought a Ensenada 20, new in 74, kept it till 81. I've crewed aboard a few boats, as of late, a Dragon class, but racing sailboats never really interested me.

I bought my C26 to enjoy during my retirement years. Oh, I love model trains.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
Crusier58

Post by Crusier58 »

Fellow Lurker, I have been reading posts almost daily to get answers to questions I have been seeking.

I'm Steve, I'm 58 and have been living in Minnesota most of my Life. I've been sailing on and off now for 20 years. More off. I have a 1977 Pop-top C 22 named after my wife of 20 years, which I just rescued from horrible neglect in early March. I have been spending every spare moment to have it in good repair and launch this coming Memorial Weekend on Lake Vermilion. I also have a 14' Hobbie Wave that I have also played with off and on.

I have been a widower for a year now and needed something to focus on in my spare time.

My other hobbies are Mortorcycling, and Kayaking. I too have the multiple toy syndrome. I have an Electra glide, Nightrod Special and a TW 200.

I currently work as a Construction Project Manager for a large medical system doing clinic construction and hospital renovations.

I want to thank Captain Scott for all his valuable tips and how to's.
1977 C22 "Lori Renee"
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Cool!

Glad to read about all of you! My bio is here somewhere in a similiar prior post so I won't bore all of you again! :wink:

I really enjoy this forum... I read a couple others but this one is my definate favorite... Thanks to "EE" for all his work keeping it going, Capt Scott for making it a real educational tool,, and all of you for making it fun, friendlly, and a resource of info.

Mostly I enjoy your stories and picts!! So quit being a friggin lurker and jump in with questions and give us your weekend updates! Hmmm...OK,,, I gotta admit I don't post as often as I could :lol: and I often type a response only to delete it to see what someone else has to say and then never respond,,, but I'll try to improve that if all you do too.. deal??

Billy
skyking

Post by skyking »

Hey Steve,

It sounds like dajavo ...I Got my C22 last march and planned on launching it by the 4th of July last year...I missed it by one day, but it was all good...Heres a link to my projsect that is posted here on the forum...Good luck with your project :D

http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... php?t=1179
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
bryan

Post by bryan »

Hello all, wow lot's of interesting people here on this great forum. Thanks for sharing the info about yourselves - good reading. Seems to be a lot of technical people...and pilots!

I am 43, married now (the first and only time) for the last 4 years, with a 2.5 year old son that is the center of much joy in our lives right now. I currently work as a CISO for a few State of Minnesota agencies. I basically cover all the bases in IT related duties with a strong emphasis on info security. Cool field - love my job. I have a few hobbies, primarily cycling (use to race a little), music writing and performing (trained in classical singing) but oh to find the time now with our youngster. Of course the boat is the main hobby now...

I'm completely new to sailing but I don't look on my interest as just a fad. When I get interested in something it tends to be a long term thing. My sailboat story began when I visited my sister down in Florida about 10 years ago on the Gulf of Mexico and she had a nice little 26 footer sailboat. That really got my interest and I knew right then and there that some day I'd have to get into sailing - it was kind of a dream, I suppose. Her being a photographer and knowing that I really liked her boat, she even sent me a picture of it framed and I've had it on my wall at work for the last few years now. People would ask if it was mine and I'd say, "no...however!" because I knew I'd want to get one someday. Well in the last two years I started looking patiently for that good deal on Craigslist and last November...lookie what shows up just three miles from my house. A 1980 Chrysler C-22 sailboat! It was sitting out in a field for the last 7 years but in ok shape; needs some TLC but has received a lot of that now, I can tell you that. I'm hoping to have it in the water for the first time next month if all goes smoothly. I don't mind putting all the work into it because I felt it would help me learn about how sailboats work. Thanks to this forum - I've got a lot of great help from members here and hope I can give back something that might be of value.

Best regards, Bryan
sharps4590

Post by sharps4590 »

I'm Vic and a new sail boat owner and even newer to the board. I turned 57 last Feb. and have been married to the same wonderful woman for 32 years. Two sons by a previous marriage that didn't last 32 years, both in their mid 30's and have been gone for years. No grandchildren yet. Lived in Missouri most of my life except for time out for the U. S. Air Force and 3 incredible years in NW Wyoming.

I collect hobbies....it seems! I love to hunt and shoot competetively, the last 20 or so years with muzzleloaders and black powder cartridge rifles. I reenact a time period of 1804 Missouri and give demonstrations of that era in schools, to scout groups, homeschoolers and anyone else who will let me "play dress up" and teach some real history of early America.
Along with the hunting and shooting comes reloading and casting my own projectiles.

Traditional archery, longbows and recurves occupys some of my time along with building my own arrows.

Fly fishing with vintage bamboo rods, tying my own flys is another hobby I thoroughly enjoy. Favorite fishing is our spring fed Ozark creeks and streams and did I love fishing the mountain streams of NW Wyoming and SE Idaho....whew!!

Sports cars have always had a soft spot in my heart and the current stable includes a 1974 MGB, 1981 Alfa Romeo Spider and an '06 Pontiac Solstice.

My sailing career is just getting started as some of you know. In Feb. I bought a 1978 Bucc and spent spring getting it ready. Now I'm just waiting on the weather. My oldest son is visiting this weekend and we may splash Monday if the winds stay below about 15 mph. I spent evenings literally devouring Seidman's book and the Annapolis Book of Seamanship and searching the web. I'm comfortable with how things work, have dinked around with the boat enough to know what goes where and what it does.....now I just need to get on the water.

For a living I've been either an electrician or an electrical contractor. The last 20+ years have been as a contractor. Prior to that I was a sports car mechanic and for 3 fun years a cop in Jeff. City, Mo.

My wife and I live on 36 acres in the Missouri Ozarks where we returned from Wyoming, hacked a building spot out of the woods and built our dream home. We're active in our church and enjoy time together working on this park we call a yard.

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Bhacurly wrote:Thanks to "EE" for all his work keeping it going,
My pleasure. Ya'll can sail on my boat anytime ! Everyone of you.

And thanks to you all for making the board the living breathing thing it is.
Crusier58

Post by Crusier58 »

Hey Tim nice job on the boat bet you are very pleased on how it turned out. I'm Finishing up with the rudder this week and hope to get it launched next weekend. I still have some major cabin work to complete but that can be done in time. I just want to get it out and sail it. I don't have a camera other than my cell phone so the pictures I have don't show the condition. It sat neglected for 11 years so you can imagine what it was like. It took allot of wet sanding to bring the finish back and i had to replace all the rigging and lines. This project will keep me going for some time to come. Steve
1977 C22 "Lori Renee"
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Guess I'm a semi-lurker. 57 years young, Cynthia & I married 38 years with two kids launched and a grandchild turning 1 this weekend. Originally from Kansas, I enlisted in the Coast Guard at age 19 then went back to college & grad school & back into the Navy as a chaplain. Served with the Navy, Marines & Coast Guard in that capacity.

First sailboat was during college. Friend had a 14' sunfishish boat that wouldn't come about. It was in pieces in his mom's basement. Father-in-law & I picked it up for $40 & rebuilt it. The dagger board had not been sealed. After we fixed that it sailed great. Sold that & built a 16' Hobby Kat. Sailed that until I graduated from college & sold it. Had nothing for years then was gifted a 16' Capri for a seminar I did. Only sailed it once and sold it. Saw this C-22 on Craig's list and knew this was the boat I was looking for. Still trying to get to the point that it could be put into water. May or may not make it this summer, but I'm pursuing having a floatable boat and then progressing on to a nice sailboat. This is my first with foresails. Should be interesting!
Tranquil Chaos
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Hey another Coastie!
Semper Peratus, Oooh Rah!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Hi everyone my name is Lyle I am 56 and been boating for all but 16 of those years. Had my first boat for Christmas before my 9th birthday a 9' wood rowboat. My parents always had powerboats and did not see the sense to those boats with sticks but I was crewing with an older man in his Penguin and when he got his Lightning he gave me the Penguin and a few years later when he got a Thistle he gave me the Lightning so I had a friend that hed been sailing with me on weekends and he got the Penguin.
I was a master technicianfor 35 years ASE certified in all 8 auto 4 truck 2 machine shop and 4 body and 2 import categories. I have 9 children and youngest will be 26 in August (empty nesters) married to the right one the second time and my divorce is when I lost my boat and that is why I was without one for 16 yr. Then I got the Newport Holiday that a neighbor was trying to sell and he let me use it to try to sell. she realized why I wanted to get a boat. Yes I did Fly and as soon as I solo his wife left and took the plane I also drove truck with a friend and the same thing happened so I fell back on auto repair and went back full time in my own shop.
I have raced cars Drag, dirt oval stock and midget and powerboats and hydroplanes I still regret selling a matched pair of Dean Swift 8' hydroplanes imagine what they would be worth now. Just the Quickie lower units I had on those 40hp merc's are 800 now.
3 years ago I got the C-26 and I love it finally got the wife on it Monday and taking it slow as I want her to get used to it before I sail with her on board as when we retire I want to be a live aboard and go south in cold weather. I spent 4 years in the Navy on a sub.
Last edited by lecker68 on Tue May 25, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Jay, I date back far enough that I went through boot camp on Alameda Island. Stayed and was a drill instructor with the band & honor guard. Became a storekeeper at Petaluma. Final tour with the Coasties was 13th Dist out of Seattle. I served some time with every branch, except the Army. Coast Guard is my favorite of them all!

Paul
Tranquil Chaos