Every boat needs a good winch... or two!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Paul the Denverite

Every boat needs a good winch... or two!

Post by Paul the Denverite »

My C-22 came with 2 Barlow 16 winches... off the hull, wrapped in brown paper in the cabin. Don't know if these are original or not. Good news is that the mounting holes appear to match with the bolt holes!

Now for the question: What type head should be on the bolt to mount these, and should I use a backing plate inside the hull?

Thanks for your continued education!!!
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

I'm not sure of the exact answer, but I can tell you that I don't have backing plates behind the 6 bolts on mine.
My winches are also not original.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hey Paul,

Here is a link I found to the Barlow 16. Of coures it doesn't show any mounting bolts, but if I remember and by the look of these picts, they should fit flush with the top, so a beveled SS is what I would use, and a backing plate is never a bad idea, but I dont have any either,,, and don't forget to bed it so it doesn't leak in a good silicone or 4200

Billy

http://home.earthlink.net/~ultratom/Win ... ures_i.htm
Paul the Denverite

Thanks for the link Billy! The grease in mine smells pretty foul and the pawls are greased as well. They should clean up real well!

Paul
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I don't have backing plates on mine either, But then there is not a lot of pressure on them either.
On a 22 foot you can usally adjust the sheets by hand and seldom need to use the winches.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Gus

Post by Gus »

Capt. Bondo wrote:I don't have backing plates on mine either, But then there is not a lot of pressure on them either.
On a 22 foot you can usally adjust the sheets by hand and seldom need to use the winches.
mmm sorry, but yes, I needed the winches once or twice!

I don't have backing plates on mine, I just used big fender washers, and so far, so good, not a problem!
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
mariner

Post by mariner »

There are no backing plates on mine but the PO did use some over sized washers. I am planning on making some backing plates from stainless, I found a place on line that will sell and cut almost any type of plate for a very reasonable cost (cheap) my reasons for wanting the backing plates are two fold, the obvious for the distribution of the load, but the other is so i can "reverse" (hang brackets)mount brackets from the plates for a vhf radio and a CD player, these two spots look to be perfect locations for these are functional and out of the way. I will post photos (not very soon) when i get around to it. Im also planning on re-beding the life line stanchions and using some backing plates.
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

backing plates.

Post by hp18carr »

What would it take for you to drop a dime on this on-line source for backing plates? I'm sure I'll need a number of them before this overhaul is completed.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

My 77 didn't have backing plates but I installed some I made from aluminum plate to be on the safe side. I don't always need the winches but have had them under quite a strain from time to time also. I always go with better safe than sorry.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
Paul the Denverite

Finished cleaning the winches today. The receipt in the sack they were in said 4/7/1985. The greese stunk from age! As for the bolts - they were in the bottom of the bag as well. Used hex heads. My thought is that with a hex wrench stuck in the top of the bolt, the long end of the wrench contacts the winch and allows you to tighten the nuts on the inside without a helper. At least it sounds good in theory.

Paul
mariner

Post by mariner »

http://www.speedymetals.com/

very good, you can get anything here at a good price
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Mariner

Thanks for the information... I'll put it to good use. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)