I thought I was ready to launch

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

I thought I was ready to launch

Post by SN691 »

Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Bummer Bob!

Same thing happened to my Buddy. His may have been due to letting the motor sit all winter without draining the carb. Mine sat all winter too, but was a new motor last year and I think I got lucky, but I did change the fuel filter and oil filter last week and use Sea Foam in my gas...

I plan on being more proactive this year when putting it away in the Fall.

Hope your on the water sailing soon!

Billy
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

I did run all the gas ou of the carb in Nov 0f 08 and drained all the gas of the tank so it was fresh gas
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

I checked the spark plugs, thay were good. The gas was new just bought it three day a go. Fuel filter clean and the fuel line was ok.
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Hmm, sounds like you checked everything I would have checked. I'm thinking too much or too little fuel. Oh, or maybe a head gasket. I had this issue with my last motor. The head gasket between the two cylinders was breached but the outer seal was okay so I would get a good compression on either cylinder but I could not do anything but ideal. As soon as I would rev it up it would die. It also ran hot even though the water pump was fine.

Do you have any grey/brown foamy, greasy, goop coming out the exhaust area of your motor. My exhaust would be out the center of the prop. This would indicate a blown head too.

I ended up buying another used motor as the parts were impossible to find for that old Suzuki. Love the new, used motor I got, it's been a champ, starting on first or second pull every time.

Hope they fix for you soon so you can get back out and sail!

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Bob, the latest pics of the interior are incredible - stern berth looks better than I've ever seen.

How are the lake levels for you now ? Was looking back over the old posts of the problems out there.

Oh, "retired-occupation-wise", you might be interested to note that I'm writing from a former conducter's house, about 100 yards from the switch yard of the old Illinois Central in SW MS....
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I'm going to say Alan is right about the choke sticking , I would say the carberator needs to be cleaned..I'm sure its the same thing with my 9.9.

$170 hr sounds crazy or I'm in the wrong job

sorry it didn't work out we will try to keep you entertained for another week :D

I to would rather be sailing

_C-26 Shaken Knot Stir'd
C-22 Don't Wake Me
al the pal

Post by al the pal »

1979 C-26
My Boat Overhaul Blog: http://alexadrift.wordpress.com/
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Bob
Sometime all you need to do is turn the carb adjustment screws in and then back out to there origional settings. Just some dried gunk from the winter.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

EE . In the stern berth the wood is from an old 13 foot market umbrella that the canvas was all torn. The small wood strips are Brazilian hard wood that I cut to size and then varnished and installed over the carpet.
Al the pal. After we removed all the old foam back liner in both stern and v-berth and in the cabin. Then we painted every thing and added a gray marine carpet. Then we put a burber marine carpet on the floor, All the cushions were put in by the original owner with four inch foam. We started in fall of 2008 but in December of 08 I had prostate cancer so that put a stop on things until late spring of 09. Then hot summer made it to hot to work in side the boat. In the fall of 09 we did a lot of work then winter came along and to cold for the glue to dry. In the first of March it got warm enough to finish.
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

I bought the motor new in Aug. of 08 and I checked and it has a three year warrany on it. So I may come out smelling lake a rose :wink: :wink:
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

that is what is going on, that is why it is starting to pay to purchase new OB's and not bother to fix teh old .. parts are expensive too. in my area the guy is selling brand new 4-stroke suzuki 9.9 for 1,850. we are becoming a more disposable society than ever!
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Bob, how's the water level and the marina issues fairing for you guys out there ?

viewtopic.php?t=913&highlight=

viewtopic.php?t=1184&highlight=
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

EE
We are still in a drought the lake is coming up some, All the ramps are open now. The lake is 156 feet from the top as of today. The experts are guessing it will be about 80 feet down from the top before it starts droping in early summer. Ther farmers in the valley gets most of the water and they are only going to get about 60% of the water they need. so produce from Califorina will be high this summer.

As for the marina Forever Resorts got the contract from the State to run the marina for the next 30 years. They bought all the equment from the old operator. So every thing worked of fine at the marina. Now all we need is for the new operator to do the repairs that the old operator never did.
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Got to tear down the carberator on my Evinrude 9.9 today and clean it.
I think it took about an hour in total. I'll see tomorrow how it all works out.