Keel Pin brackets *** Link to photos added!!!! ***

Post All Keel Topics Here
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Keel Pin brackets *** Link to photos added!!!! ***

Post by CaptainScott »

EDIT:
OK, Since I have a large number of photos for this project and I see no reason to burdon this sight with them, I have created multiple pages on my site. The format is simple. Many photos with a brief description of each. If you click the photo you will get a larger photo and a more in depth description where necessary. I have edited this post on top so you do not need to scroll down looking for the link. This is an in process project so the photos are up to date and I will be adding more as I progress further. Please let me know if there is more info needed on any of the photos. I can easily update the text.

Let me know what you think!!
Scott
Click here for keel pin repair photos
and to be whisked away to my site . . .

I'm off tomorrow to get a quote on keel brackets for a Chrysler 22.
I found a shop here in Everett willing to take a look.

They generally do not do such small projects so I'll be interested in what they say.

Is anyone here willing to commit to a set if the price is reasonable?

I understand there is a push from a member here to make some himself however I believe he is not available to even start until end of February.

I'd like to have Lady Jo all buttoned up by then if possible!

Fran??

:-)

Yeah, I know, just kidding! After the work on Lady Jo's keel I wish you were closer Fran. We could use my stands to block her up and with a couple of guys around here we could knock it out for ya!!

Scott
Last edited by CaptainScott on Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
FranS

Post by FranS »

:D
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

OK,
the shop I dropped the parts off at the machine shop.

WOW! I think they must be giggling at my tiny little project. I knew they worked on maritime stuff but had no idea how freekin BIG they are! LOL!
I actually started to feel a bit silly with all the equiptment they had! LOL!

However, I must add, Dan, the owner/manager came right out and treated me like my job was very important. Very nice fellow. I look forward to getting my quote and parts.

Here is the place I found . . .
http://www.everettengineering.com/

Scott
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Wow Scott that place is big I'm wondering what my guy down the street would charge for something like that. I don't have anything to go by to show him. Mine is in really good shape and so I'm not going to mess with it. (not yet) Waiting to see if someone comes up with a fail safe (LOL) improvement ...for the 1st mates sake . all stainless sounds good.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I'll have many photos of the parts before and the replacements when done. I'll get them posted on my site and provide links here.

That should give folks what to look for and what to expect in this process.

Scott
rickyd462000

hot and cold

Post by rickyd462000 »

i run hot and cold on doing this project as i have no trailer (the list of excuses goes on,)will be watching board for price quote and look forward to pics. rick
haud sollicitus
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Here is a link to my photos! Enjoy!

Click here!!

Please note this is a project in progress so will be added as I procede. Currently the old keel brackets are at the shop awaiting replacement. When I get them back, I'll add photos oth their condition!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Nice Scott ! Thanks for sharing the progress !

I'm getting ready to paint EE's little sis above the water line, which only weighs about 1100 pounds, so I may follow your lead and float on stands her as well.
John K

Post by John K »

Question: will the bracket mounting bolt holes have to be counter-sunk on the brackets, or is there enough clearance between the keel and trunk to just drill the holes?
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I am assuming the new brackets will be thicker stainless and need to be counter sunk. When I get the old ones back along with the new ones I'll have photos for you so you can see. The original brackets were not counter sunk however the plate itself was not a flat surface.

Again, photos worth a thousand words and I will get those for you as soon as I get the parts back.

Scott
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Mine did not, I used SS washers to shim it to the center where it easily clears the heads of the bolts. Trey (who provided mine) counter sunk his though so I guess it just depends on you. Now if the plates are considerably thicker you may not have a choice. The originals were flush with the trunk. I did wonder if keeping it in the middle might introduce a load issue but I have not noticed any problems and I have hd it out in some rough pounding weather.........knock on wood :)
John K

Post by John K »

The brackets that I bought from idasailor do not appear to be any thicker than the original, so will probably take the shimming option as well. If they were countersunk, they would be pretty thin.
FranS

Post by FranS »

Yikes, your keel brackets look practically new compared to ours! I noticed that the forward end of the keel trunk looks different from our. Ours is just squared off. Looks like yours might have been subject to a modification/repair, probabaly a busted cable episode. I wonder if that's the source of your leak as well?
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I know my front corner of the pocket looked real similar so first I repaired it then I added a heavy duty piece of rubber used in setting precast concrete to give some protection to it.
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

ok, i'll say it... the way i usually make repairs is to pick up the phone and call someone... Hello?... still checking on the condition of mine, but if i get into her and find trouble, how much would a job like this cost a poor police officer, willing to do a free polygraph or two in exchange??!! :oops:
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
www.ndipolygraphservices.com
Paul the Denverite

Post by Paul the Denverite »

All this talk of swing keels nearly falling out had me panicked. Especially since the C22 I picked up had most of the nuts from the brackets laying on the deck on either side of the pin point. Saturday I took my camera and had every intention of taking photos of the corroded mess. Amazingly, the brackets and fiberglass surround are in very good shape. There is some paint peeling from the top of the keel itself, but all appears to be intact. I hope to install new nuts and back the trailer into the local pond to see if it holds water - after I get the rudder rebuild to the point I can reinstall the lower through fitting! Thanks a lot for scaring me guys!

Paul
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Well, I'm not sure what it would cost to have this work done but I bet it would be expensive beyond my budget. Just the parts will be between 3-4 hundred bucks. I presume the labor would get you in the long run.

As far as my keel falling off? Nah, the keel pin was actually in great shape. Maybe it was replaced at some point! Who knows. What started me down this path was a water leak. I got "that call" from the marina one day. You know where they say " You boat is sinking . . . .".

After some serious searching the leak is clearly from the keel. So . . . . the project began. After removal of the plates it is clear to see the badly coroded areas. I will post pictures of the plates when I get them back from the shop and update here.

Quite frankly the idea of the project so far has been more scarey than the work itself.

I offer an open invitation to any of you considering this project to come on by and see it first hand while I'm working on it. Lady Jo is in my driveway! For those to far away to come by let me know if there are any photos I have not posted that you would like to see!!

Scott
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

Hi, Thought I would chime in about the price.
I am in central ohio and 2 years ago I had some work done and we replaced the keel pin and brackets.
They did all the work. Estimate was around 1500. Had done this type of job before and familiar with C-22. The brackets were so badly rusted etc. It took 11 hours alone to get them out and the keel down
Price complete was $2800. Almost double what we were thinking. He is very well known for boat repairs in ohio, I have no reason to think he ripped us off. He said my boat could easily have been on the bottom of the lake with the shape the brackets were in.

Were glad he fixed it.
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

ouch on the boat repair estimates!! Guess I'm going to have to become more mechanically inclined!! LOL
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
www.ndipolygraphservices.com
kdk3187

Post by kdk3187 »

Glad to see someone is getting work done on his boat.

Yes, I had previously mentioned making the brakets, and that still holds true. Starting the teardown process is still slated for March, based on the pending sale of my house in 2 weeks.

I'll keep folks posted on here. But please don't wait on me if a good deal comes up. I will be keeping my costs as low as possible to help keeps folks afloat. Heck, if the price is right, I might even buy a set thru Everett to get me up and going sooner and focus on the railing/mast roller and electrical re-do.
Sean

'78 C-22 - "Favorite Distractions"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Alan came over Sunday for a couple of hours and all we did was drive around looking for parts.

We did manage a trial fit of the brackets and all is well with one minor exception. When the machine shop welded the center piece to the plates they welded on the side that is against the hull so the welds now need to be ground down for a flat fit. All in all a very nice job except this one issue. I know better now though! LOL!

Alan and I ran around an picked up stainless bolts, locking nuts, and washers. We also picked up some poly bushings for the keel and some 3M 5200. Alan was kind enough to give me an education on bolt strengths and identifying them. Very nice! Thanks Alan!

I will get some photos of the keel brackets in the next day or two and get them posted on my site.

The weather has been so spectacular here in the Seattle area my "CaptainScottsSailing" site has seen a dramatic increase in traffic!
Lady Jo is not sea worthy yet so I will be taking some folks on Destiny this weekend!

Scott
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Keel bracket and pin photos added.

Shots of the originals and the new ones. Also shots of the new ones in place without the keel in place so you can see how they look under the boat!

Scott
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Great piece of machining.

Great pics, thanks!

What was the final price?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

j42goose wrote:Great piece of machining.

Great pics, thanks!

What was the final price?
Just shy of 400 bucks after tax.
Something like $392 and change.

I love everything about them except the welds needed a bit of grinding. I used a dremmel tool to take of the extra material. It was slow but worked fine.

Scott
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Why the bronze pin instead of SS ?
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

LOL! Less than an hour however I went through several dremmel tips!

As far as Bronze for the pin . . . .

That was a recommendation by the machine ship. The bronze is softer than stainless but only just barely. The wear point is indeed the bronze VS the SS plates. His suggestion was to check the pin and should it ever show wear simply replace it and know the plates are good. Now mind you wear is different from corrosion. HE also indicated that once stainless VS stainless in a friction environment begins to wear BOTH sides can wear rapidly. That I do not want. I can replace the pin reasonably easy relative to replacing the plates again!!!!!

Call me lazy . . . . . ;)

Scott
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

True but you have also added a third type of metal to the mix, I added grease fittings to mine to both keep the water out and the friction down. I'll be interested to see how it works out, I think the amount of time it spends in the water will also have a lot to say about how long the stainless lasts, you might end up with just a pin :)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Banshi wrote: you might end up with just a pin :)

LOL! Yeah, that would indeed suck!! She spends about 3-4 months a year in the water so I'll have pleanty of oppurtunity to watch the brackets and pin! Also given the number of boats with dissimilar metals underwater, ( probably all of them that have props ) I presume my chances are very good. I do keep fresh zincs on her so she should be just fine!

If she show signs of trouble I could always resign myself to keeping her at Dagmars a dry stoorage marina a few miles up the river! I might even be able to store her next to Honu Alans boat!! LOL!

Scott
FranS

Post by FranS »

Scott,

Ive been getting some questions from my Craigslist posting regarding the cost and time committiment to replace the keel brackets. What would you estimate those to be so far.

Thanks. Im will be referring the buyer to your site for step by step instructions, no warranties or representations made of course :-)