Keel Pin brackets *** Link to photos added!!!! ***

Post All Keel Topics Here
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey Fran, the brackets were custom made at a local machine shop. I gave the old brackets plus my descriptions to the shop for a pattern.

Total bill complete with tax, no shipping was $390.00 and change.

$15 bucks for 3M5200

Maybe $30 bucks for new stainless locking nuts, bolts, and some nylon spacers.

It took 4 of us about two hours to take Lady Jo off her trailer. That was not really necessary. I could have simply lifted her and moved the bunkers up however the space is nice and I had a need elsewhere for my trailer.

Took me maybe 30 minutes to cut the origional keel pin. That includes finding my sawsall, getting the extension cords out, etc. It was surprisingly easy. 30 minutes with one one person in the boat and one under the boat removing the keel bracket bolts. 6 on each bracket.

Two floor jacks a bunch of wood and a couple of car jack stands and maybe half an hour we had the keel lowered and pushed back. We did not lower it completely out of the keel trunk so that it can not fall over! Just down and back a bit.

ReInstalling the brackets easy. Half hour to prep the surfaces ( clean ) 3M 5200 sealant adhesive, and bolt them back in. I used an air wratchet under the boat while my neighbor had a wrench inside. I also used a cross pattern and several passes over each bolt to insure a flat bolt up. Also I left the keel pin in place to insure the brackets aligned properly.

3m 5200 requires 7 days for a full cure. I'll let it sit at least two weeks before I mess with it again because it is still pretty cold outside.

My next step . . . . . I could easily, simply hang the keel but I think I'm going to drop it all the way out, pressure wash, sandblast, and resurface it. Might as well. It is already out anyway! LOL!

Your perspective buyers are very welcome to contact me offline, email, phone, here or whatever if they have questions.

Hope this helps!
Scott
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

FINALLY!!!

The Gods looked down on me and smiled!

Yesterday evening the weather was nice, it was blowing 15 -18 steady and I had time!!!!

My neighbor and I took Lady Jo to the boat launch! we stepped the mast and slipped her into the water! We hanked on the sails and headed out into the river channel! A perfect beam reach had us turning of the motor in minutes and dragging the toe rail in the water! We shot out the river into the Sound and had a wonderful two hour sail! My neighbor had the helm the entire time! We had sandwiches during one long tack out towards the Mukilteo ferry!

I'm very happy to say that she did not leak a bit! Not even a little! YEAH! Not only that, the nylon bushings I added must be working! The keel was not sloppy at all! We did get the good ole' cable hum however I let the keel cable slack and that diminished to a low back ground noise!

Unfortuantely the time was short and we needed to get back before dark so we headed back, pulled her up on the trailer, unstepped the mast, rinsed her down and headed home!!

All the work was worth it now that she's sailing again!

Hmm, now to convince my wife I need transient moorage again so I do not have to step the mast every time! LOL!

Scott