Tall Rig

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tall Rig

Post by J. Austin »

It has come to my attention that I am the owner of a Tall Rig.
Rather than the normal 26.6approx. mast height, mine sports something like 29'. (this is not a brag or a "size matters" debate, I leave that to the ladies.) My question is for anyone who has this also, any knowledge or concerns, or differences in having this extra heigt, that I may be concered with, anything is helpful.

Also, does everyone use the double-purchase outhaul?
The one that is secured to the end of the mast, passes through the clew-eye, then through a small block, then down to the jam-cleat.

If so, how long is your outhaul line and what size?

thanks as always!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
John K

Post by John K »

The tall rig: longer mast, longer boom, more sail area. Should be better in light winds, but you must reef earlier in a higher breeze. That's my understanding.
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

I was thinking more technical rather than sailing wise. Having said that, you "woke' me up to thinking that this boat will sail different than others. This is why I ask so many questions. Great point! Thanks for the input John.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Disregarding the sailing aspects, yes, you must look up a little further.

When stepping the mast be aware of the extra height. When sailing, especially on lakes look for over hanging power lines, trees, and bridges!!!

Everyone should know the max height of there vessel. Don't want to scrape the mast off your boat!!!!

Scott
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

The taller rig will gives a higher aspect ratio for the sail. =less drag for the amout of sail area. Should sail better in all winds and point higher. You may be able to use a J22 main sail if you are looking for used sails. Check out some of the used sail web sites for measurements.
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

I'm very lucky, in that, I have an original main(with two reef points).

I'm wondering if Alans point could be correct, maybe this is not an original spar for this boat. I also wonder, and will try to see, if there is anything in the id # that suggests that it is a tall rig. I'm slightly doubting that this could not be an original rig knowing the 2po's. But it is certainly a possibility that I havwe a backyard hybrid.
jerecaustin.com
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

If I remember correctly the tall rig was offered as an option. When I was shopping for my C22 I looked at one that had the tall rig with a swing keel and the seller was the original owner. The boat had several soft spots on the deck and the trailer had been damaged in the boat yard so I passed on it.
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Great info, Thanks Mike.

Stevensville, huh?. gonna drive by there on the way to the boat show in a couple of weeks. Can't wait!
jerecaustin.com