Overhaul... seven bolt rudder blade removed

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Overhaul... seven bolt rudder blade removed

Post by hp18carr »

Thanks for all the input, and it was as simple as it looks. The blade itself has seen better days, but I hope with some rework it will last for a good while longer.

the rudder has a number of dings down its side.

This side does not look that bad.

In this pic you see the cut out and center disk, witch all but fall out on pulling rudder.

The center disk itself.

The center disk with blots.

I hope in the end I can save this rudder blade. the way I see it the seven bolt system looks to be stroung. The bolts hold the center disk in place while the rudder moves around the disk not just a single bolt.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

I have the same design for my rudder. It must have been a design change in the 1980 model. When I disassembled mine, though, all that is left of the "disk" is a "ring", no side plates with bolt holes. Is your disk solid? or are the flat sides just plates?
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

seven bolt rudder

Post by hp18carr »

Darin

The disk seems to be solid, but it does not have the whight of ss. The outter serface ring that the rudder turns on is ss. The outter ring must have been fussed some how to the center disk, thats just my 2cents observation. I have heard a few others with 1970 models that have this set up, but I feel no one truly knows the story behind them.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Thanks for the pics of that setup. My 79 C-26 has the single center bolt. The seven bolt system looks like a more elegant solution and probably eliminates any play in the rudder.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

So it was a disk after all. I like it.
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

It does look like a much better pivot. Do you know the diameter of the disk?
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

c26 rudder disk

Post by hp18carr »

Sorry I should have put this up yesterday. Diameter 5" by 1 3/4 thick. I would have posted more pics, but my cam, is no good for really close up pics. Perhaps the man in red will bring me a new one this year.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Hmmm, solid disk with holes for each bolt. Maybe I'll fill in my "ring" with fiberglass.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
sailbob2

Post by sailbob2 »

Don't see why we can't back engineer our older rudder blades (single center bolt hole) to this later design seems much sturdier than older design. A large hole saw some fiberglass resin and alum or SS plates or even wood plug with a SS strip for bearing surface a few SS nuts and bolts and voila. Whatcha think?
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

rudder c26

Post by hp18carr »

Sounds like a doable project, I'm curious as to why this rudder set up has not been discoursed before... or has it? I'm sure everyone is looking for ways to improve their Chrysler?

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

It appears to be very similiar to the C-22 also... center pivot and ropes all seem the same anyway.

I may need to adapt it as my center hole is elongating over the seasons. It would be nice to see more picts of the whole assembly for referance.

The fiberglass is easy to repair, just sand, fair it out, sand some more, and prime/paint. It'll look good as new!

Thanks!
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

rudder blade

Post by hp18carr »

All I have off my c26 at this time is the rudder blade, but if you need to see a whole assembly for reference go to EE's virtual home port. There you will find some nice pics of a pulled c26 rudder assembly. The only thing different between his and mine should only be the seven bolt rudder set up.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980