Overhaul... question on 1980 c26 Rudder blade removal.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Overhaul... question on 1980 c26 Rudder blade removal.

Post by hp18carr »

I believe this only pertains to the 1979-80 Chrysler 26 models. the rudder blade is secured to the cheeks by seven bolts. One large center one surrounded by six smaller ones. The whole rudder assembly will be pulled in due time, but right now I'm focusing on just the blade. Is the removal of the rudder blade as simple as it looks? Remove the seven bolts and oops there it is, or do these bolts holding the blade have through rudder bushings that are required to be tapped out to free the blade?

Note these pics were taken before this Chrysler got to the house.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Not sure on this one - EE's (79) blade only has 1 bolt, the center one. You can see pics of the assembly here
njerrell

Post by njerrell »

Just curious,does the rudder piviot up and down or is it fixed in that position all the time,maybe im missing something here,but i dont see how it could piviot up and down with all those bolts.
Nathan
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I was just wondering if the previous owner added those bolts as a way to hold the rudder up during transport/storage. As opposed to the random scrap piece of dock line I use on EE :wink:

I think the answer to Terrence's question is going to be, yes, take the bolts out and the blade will come out.

There probably isn't a bushing in the center bolt hole, but there may be after you have a look at how oblong the pivot hole likely is !
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

1980 rudder blade removal

Post by hp18carr »

Yes it pivots up and down with the two ropes just as other c26's, but they are in need of replacing, what little is left of them you may not be able to see in the pics.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hmm. Well, if it has those bolts, and they go all the way thru, and it pivots, and the bolts don't move, then you must have a big center disk as big as those bolts and a really big hole in the blade that the disk goes in to??

Aw, take it off and post a pic, the curiosity is killing me !
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

rudder blots.

Post by hp18carr »

This is a pic of Sailbob's c26. I belive his is a 1980. look close at the rudder blade, I feel its the same configuration as mine... Sailbob were are you?

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

rudder bolts

Post by hp18carr »

It just came to me... I hope I did not break any of the Chrysler forum's points of edict, by using a pic of Sailbob's Chrysler with out his knowledge. :oops: I will try and remove the rudder as soon as I can and post pic of the outcome.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I don't think Sailbob would mind at all. Must be a 1980 model feature. I'll be interested to see how it looks ! If it has a center disk/bearing, well that would work better than the small bolt and hole that EE has !!!
monty

Post by monty »

My neighbors' '79 has the same setup. I thought the PO had modified it, I guess not!
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

rudder bolts

Post by hp18carr »

Terrence from Wilmington, If you would be as so kind as to ask you neighbor to place a reply here... I need all the information I can get on this rudder configuration, and has he ever removed his?

Terrence
Wilmingotn N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Terrence, nice Photo of a nice boat.It is a 1979, another photo of the same boat is at your left. It is my boat, sailbob has a 1978, file free to post any photos from my Photo Bucket. As to the Rudder Yes It Is as Simpal As It Looks. Take it apart, you will fined a vary large hole in the center, it has a brass liner. ( When you put it back togather, Use Lock Nuts. You do not tork Bolts. The Rudder Must Move Frely, it will roal on the bolts. The center bolt is not needed, I think the Rudder has a lot more suport, with this set up. When you have it apart, replace the rope. I have the rail on my stern. I tye the Rudder line to it, the up line has a loop tyed in it, I put a spring in the loop an atach the uther end to the safty rail, or stern rail. The spring holds the rudder down, but lets it come up, when I run agrond. A Bungy Cord Would Work, But thay do not last long, Spring is better. OK Back To Rudder Line. One Long Line With Boulth Ends To The Ruder.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

rudder bolts

Post by hp18carr »

20%26

Sorry about the mix-up on who's Chrysler I was looking at, but thanks a lot for the information? I will try to put it to good use this weekend; the seven bolt rudder configuration must have been an optional rudder type offered by Chrysler back in the day. The idea of one long rope to the rudder, not two separate ones sounds interesting, you are the first one I have heard doing it.

Thanks again
Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ah. Kinda like I thought but no disc. Basically like an open cage roller bearing with the bolts being the rollers? Neat.

I feel a mod coming on for EE.
sailbob2

Post by sailbob2 »

Even if it were my boat I'd have no problem having you post any pictures I have posted, I've been having so many problems with my computer lately (virus attacks) that Chrysler 20%26 has been kind enough to help me by making posts in my name (thanks Bob) So the mistake is honest. Bob and I share the same first name and passion for our Chrysler sailboats and we live a short distance apart here in Michigan.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Terrance: All i can tell you its that if you are going to repair the rudder, do everything you want to do in one shot. I did the same, I'm gonna change the lines today, fix the leaks tomorrow... BIG MISTAKE
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

prep work

Post by hp18carr »

Gus

It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, I spent my time in the air force working the phase hanger on T-38 training jets. We first started by going over the whole aircraft pin-pointing what needed to be worked on, only then did we start back at step one working the problems. It may sound unproductive, but there is a method to my madness. What I'm doing now to me is just prep work for when the real work actually begins back at step one, most likely the summer of 2010.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I had mine off last year you need to secure your rudder lines above and not let them go down the tube that is where I made my mistake. Then take all bolts out don't worry there is a nylon bushing that goes around the circle of bolts use stainless bolts and lock nuts but don't tighten too mch or you won't move the rudder blade without swimming and the blade will not clear your outboard. Also I noticed on your pic there is no bolt in the hole by the stem
that is supposed to have a nylon roller on it for the line that comes from the top of the blade or you will not be able to pull your rudder up but if it is like mine glass covered wood if it is loose enough it will float up.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

rudder

Post by hp18carr »

I noted the bolt by the stem was missing when I got her home, also the part that the four little bolts behind the cheeks held is missing as well. The diameter of the bolt by the stem is small getting a nylon roller on it may be a pain.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Not really get a delran (NYLON) block any type and put the bolt through the center that is what I am going to do before I put her back in. I wanted to
make a screw type linkage to crank it up and down but I can't find stainless
threaded rod around here.

If I get to go south I would like to buy you a coffee or something I see you
are in NC
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

rudder

Post by hp18carr »

If you get down this way feel free to stop by, this goes for all on this forum that finds themselves in this neck of the woods.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Terrence I can take mine off Sat AM and post a Pic of the blade if you want.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

rudder

Post by hp18carr »

Lyle

If you could do that for me, I feel it would put my mind more at ease. I'm sure there are others who would like to see how a seven bolt rudder blade functions as well. Thanks again, we may have rain down here this weekend, so pulling mine off may not happen just yet.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

No problem Terrence I will pull it apart Fri night and get pic sat Am as soon as I have light.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

rudder

Post by hp18carr »

Thanks Lyle

Do not feel you need to take it off unless it was coming off any way, I was able to get to mine before it rained. Thanks again for the offer.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Terrence
Did you see what I was talking about? and try to cet a block for the rudder line all it was on mine was a round nylon tube with a bolt through it.
I was thinking a block would be easier to pull rudder up. If you decide to pull the lines out pull new lines through with them.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rudder

Post by hp18carr »

Lyle

Sorry for my late reply, and yes I do see what you were talking about. I'm sure a nylon block will be part of my reinstallation plans for the rudder. Thanks again for the insight of you and others on this form.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980