Overhaul... the galley free at last.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Overhaul... the galley free at last.

Post by hp18carr »

I took a deep breath and pulled the wiring out of my galley, the galley itself removed to facilitate other work. What was left behind... well words escape me.

The inside of the galley itself was covered with wasp nests, I was glad I had bug bombed the whole c26 before starting the overhaul.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Looks familiar. V-e-r-y familiar.

Those are dirt-dauber nests, they rarely sting, not aggressive at all. They build those mud nests in the summer, the first winter I worked on EE I was knocking those off and lobbing them out the hatch by the dozen !

If you decide to remove the vinyl behind the banquettes you might find this product handy
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

In Michigan, at my brothers we call them ( mud dobers) an hear thy are varry aggressive an a sting from one will give me troble for weeks.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Don't feel bad, my first boat was in way worse state than your 26!
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Looks like a lot of fun!!!
Enjoy the upgrading you will inevitably give her!!!!

Scott
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

overhaul

Post by hp18carr »

Thanks to one and all for the upbeat mood and to tell the truth, I really don't feel that bad. Sure I would have liked a c26 in better shape, but in doing this overhaul I'm really getting a feel for how she was put together.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

You've hit the nail on the head ! I know EE inside more than outside. And I'm comfortable because of it.

Hey, when I was running wire under the port banquette I saw a skillet up under the head area. Couldn't get to it, but I know it's there :wink:
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I'm also redoing a galley for my C-22 and now think the hide away set-up is a nice idea it just needs to be much lighter/look better or at least not so cheaply made. Don't get me wrong I haven't seen in person just pictures and word of mouth.

I'm going to down size the cabin table, I don't think I will need the burth option. I think this is going to be the easy part of my winter plans.

I'm not sure where to start with the questions
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Mario G wrote:
I'm not sure where to start with the questions
How abot this little tidbit . . . .
Campersworld offers up very nice looking table posts that fit our boats nicely if you get the right one and the also offer up a replacement base that bolts to the floor and the base that bolts to the table. If you are going to replace the table, go the extra mile and replace the base and table post!! It makes a very nice fininshing touch!!!

Watch the bases though some are tapered some are not. We have tapered!!

Scott
Sundowner

Post by Sundowner »

Wasp! Been there. First trip on the boat - wasp nest in each end of the boom and one mother load just inside the cabin. I found the one in the boom by hitting the boom accidently and there came a flood of wasp. Not enough room for me and a few dozen wasp in the cockpit. This does not count the dirt dobbers (which are harmless).
Reminded me of being a kid. We would take tennis rackets and stir up a nest just so we could "play" wasp tennis. Needless to say the wasp often won.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Wasps ! Lately we've had a surge of these red wasps, very orange color, that are overly agressive. I got stung a few times this year just being in the general area of them. Man, they come after you with no provocation !
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I need to things Pictures of the stock C-22 galley or more spicific the bottom, I know its on sliders, but does it have wheels or rollers and what keeps it stable on the slightly cerved bench?

I would also like to see how the leaf table set-up on the C-26's work, I was thinking something similiar for the table in my C-22
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I can not help with this one, I have a day sailer. An sail it allmost dayly, but not on ice ( Bummer) Michigan winters
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

The stock C-22 galley I beleave is on sliders or if it has wheels there froze up.
I'll look if I have any pictures, I know I don't any of the bottom.
It would be nice if the stock galley had more storage room, the one drawer is realy just room for the paper plates and sporks.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Here's what mine look like,, I made them from UHMW to replace the worn originals... sorry I couldn't get the picts to show...

First 2 are whats screwed to the sides and fit into the track slide, there's 3 of them mounted...

http://www.kodakgallery.com/imaging-sit ... 06/jpeg/BG

Then there's a couple three of these "blocks" just screwed to the bottom...

Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Hi Bill,

The links you posted above are not working. They are giving an error that access is forbiden. :cry:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I am relocating my water tank just behind companionway stairs. with a light outboard I need to move some weight aft. that will allow a cooler under the
V berth as designed. If I put 40 gallons of water in the bow at 8 lb. per gallon
that would be 320 lb. where I don't need it.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Thanks Bill,

Good photo's and the link works good now. :P

Thank you,
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing