New Member, new '78 C22 owner...and metal fabricator

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
kdk3187

New Member, new '78 C22 owner...and metal fabricator

Post by kdk3187 »

Great site, great boat. My first cabin boat. Had a Snark in the 80s and a Hobie Cat in the mid 90s.

Picked my C22 up last month from Panama City, FL. Drug it up here to NC, sailed her (absolute joy) at Jordan Lake 2 weeks ago, and parked her for repairs last week.

Swing keel pivot/plates were rusting bad and too sketchy for my taste.

I'll be making a set of plates for myself in December (after a multi-week trip to Australia starting next week, including a week at the Great Barrier Reef bareboating a Bavaria 39).

Anyway, the plates/pivot will be from 316/316L. I'll keep you posted on the progress. Making multiple sets while I'm tooled up is my plan, if there is interest; as I've seen that the former source (Trey I think) is not responding to contact. I have no intent on taking his established "business" if he is still making them for folks here.
Sean

'78 C-22 - "Favorite Distractions"
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

welcome Sean whoo whoo Great tp hear theres another C-22 in the area. I'm in Burlington and have my 75 C-22 at Belews lake in Greensboro where you can also find Sungun61 with his 80 C-22
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard ! Once you get your plates setup, do post a note in the for sale section if you want to offer them to members. Even if metal work is your business, the site admin doesn't generally consider "one-off" items that help keep our old boats going as "commercial advertisements" but more as a valuable resource to the board members from a board member.

Enjoy your trip !
Gus

Post by Gus »

Welcome!

I hauled my C-22 all the way from Maryland to NC. In here, I mostly sail in the coast, but I have been to Jordan in the past.

Have fun in your trip!

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard! Glad to have ya here!!
I would be interested in the keel brackets you make.

When you get them made, please post pictures of them and price.
I have made several attempts to contact Trey with no success.

I have a C22 that needs some attention in this area.

Thanks!
Scott
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Welcome to the Crew,

I too am interested in the new stainless plates and pin. I'm told I have a stainless pin but I too am getting concerned over the corrosion of the steel inside the boat that the pin is pivoting in. :cry:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
tnc110

Post by tnc110 »

kdk

consider leaving the brackets with no holes drilled in them... not all c22 use the same mounting holes...I know from personal experience, the donor boat and my boat were considerably off and i had to make my own brackets.
kdk3187

Post by kdk3187 »

All,

Thank you for the welcoming. I look forward to learning and being part of what I've seen so far as a great community of sailors...or at least "guys with sailboats" - as I am.

Thank you everyone for the interest and input in the plates. I will absolutely be making a set for myself as I will not be putting in again until that is done. Having said that, I WILL make as many as needed to support those here. (And yes, they will be without holes). I am retiring Army (next July), so I have some time until my second career takes a hold of my time. I had a side business that included metal fabrication, but I've since slowed down with that as other "hobbies" have floated into my life.
Sean

CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Thanks Sean for your willingness to step in and fill a need.

I will be one of the buyers of the plates and pin set up. Lady Jo is on the hard until I get a set. I will not tear her down though until the parts are in hand. I have a thing about infinshed projects! I usually let them stay that way! LOL!

However . . . . . .

As a guinea pig for your product I will happily photo and document the use of your parts for you as a neutral third party. This may help you improve or even sell your parts. Maybe get something back for your efforts! LOL!

I would build a web page on my site similar to the "Stepping the Mast" page. I'll happily provide a review and where I got the parts from!!

Scott
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Maybe consider a set for FranS.... I am not giving up on her yet.... ( maybe we will all chip in..as a holiday present!)
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
FranS

Post by FranS »

NYCSAILOR wrote:Maybe consider a set for FranS.... I am not giving up on her yet.... ( maybe we will all chip in..as a holiday present!)
THanks, but the new boat needs some stuff.... if your looking to get me a gift :-)
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Welcome

Mine had had two sets of holes where they had been replaced so I think fabbing them with no holes is a good idea. I added a grease fitting on each one. I occasionally grease them using waterproof grease to keep water out and help keep the stainless from rusting.
kdk3187

Post by kdk3187 »

As I've been working through the fabrication process and design in my head, I think adding a 45 deg or 90 deg grease fitting to each side will be an easy mod during the build and not add much cost to the final product.

I still have a few material estimates out, so no official quote at this time; but it is looking in the $300 to $350 range (with grease fitting). As I rarely work in stainless, I don't have the stock laying around that would lower costs, but as I'm counting about 6 potential pairs needed, that will help lower the material price per piece when I order the 316/316L.

Other projects I plan on doing:
Rudder mount (shaft and plates w/improved rope roller)
Shroud spreader mounts
Electrical panel face
Stern pulpit w/boom roller support
Last edited by kdk3187 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sean

NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Ok, I am a C26 guy but electrical panels caught my eye as that is on my list...also are in-cabin chainplate reinforcment solutions .. but that is diff. from the 26 to 22.
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
rickyd462000

brackets

Post by rickyd462000 »

i also will be watching for sale ads. rick
haud sollicitus
kdk3187

Post by kdk3187 »

Just keeping everyone posted.

I plan on starting on the keel pivot plates end of Feb. Sorry for the delay, selling my house has kept me busy.

Also, if anyone has a chance to sail the Whitsunday Islands in Australia, I highly recommend it. It was an amazing November!! The Bavaria 39 was a pleasure to sail.
Last edited by kdk3187 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean

lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Sean welcome aboard and we are sailors only different experience levels or we would not put in the time to do the repairs on these wonderful boats.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/