Winters almost here... What are your winter projects?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Winters almost here... What are your winter projects?

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Looks like I'll be dropping the keel on Lady Di. She seems to be leaking from there. I have strategically placed two water pumps on her to keep specific areas dry. I presume Alan will be at my house a lot this year. Oh well! LOL!
Scott
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Winter what? I was just swimming yesterday so its hard to think about winter. I am paid up till December at the lake (corral storage) and plan on sailing till then. When I bring the boat home, I will paint the bottom and rewire the mast. The 1st mate has interior plans.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Scott let me know when ya plan on the keel drop... (This must be what Alan was referring to on another thread.)

Maybe we could be there if it's around the 14th, Pam has an appt. that day.

I did my keel couple years ago if ya need any info... but lost all my picts in a PC crash.

I'm up early (0200) cuz a car missed the turn in front of the house... was woke up by the crash, car on it's roof with one guy inside an his arm pinned under the car... he's honkin the horn and blastin the radio to attract attention... everyone else took off that was in the car. Cops found a gun on the guy so now there searchin the neighborhood lookin for the others... an I gotta be at work by 0600... :roll:

It was freakin cold an windy out there,, drinkin coffe to warm up... Winter is definately just around the corner. I plan on pullin outta the water in a few weeks and doin a good cleanin and wax job. We have some kind of spotty moss or fungi on the boat that needs to be cleaned up. Happy with all my other systems... but I need to remember to get a windvane on top the mast next year!

Alan, we put 8" zip ties on the wiring every couple feet when I pulled the mast wires out last Spring. Had 2 at each interval an left the "tails" sticking out in opposing directions. It really made the mast quiet as it kept the wires from slappin inside the mast. My halyards are external so when tied up an lines secured away from the mast there is no noise at all from boat motion... just waves lappin on the hull and that we can sleep with.

Billy
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Thanks Billy,
I'll not likely pull Lady Jo until the end of October. We still have some good days ahead for sailing. Then I'll switch over and all my winter sailing will be on Destiny.

Yes it was cold this moring! I had to use my heated gear on my Harley!!
It was 41 degrees when I left my house! Roads were still wet from a recent rain. Looks like for at least another week we'll be getting weather from the Gulf of Alaska! That is not bad though. At least it is not coming from the Frasier River Valley! From there it is usually bitter cold and very dry!

Eeek! Car wreck out front and guns involved?? bummer. Hope all works out for the best there!!

Scott
FranS

Post by FranS »

Billy,

What about that website you had showing the renovations. I found you and it before I ever found this forum.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Bhacurly wrote: car on it's roof with one guy inside an his arm pinned under the car... he's honkin the horn and blastin the radio to attract attention...
Billy
Down here this sort of incident is usually preceded by the driver telling a passenger "Hey, Hold my beer and watch THIS"
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

My main winter boat project will be overhauling our Sailor 280.

Apart from that I might do some wiring work, and will definitely be gathering the supplies for painting topsides and bottom since those are "must do's" before launching.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

My C-15 MOW is all ready to go down to my buddy's shop at the marina in Chicago.

I don't have the time or the expertise to repair what ails her. And he doesn't have time to help me work on it up here in Wisconsin. He's going to work on her during down time at his shop and then store it there over the winter free of charge.
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
mariner

lots to do...

Post by mariner »

i need to replace all of the wiring, new fuse panel, electrical system, vhf radio antenna, radio and was thinking about redoing the table and bulkheads with a different laminate, install backing plates for lifeline rails, replace ports... so there you go! p.s. how do you guys attach your vhf coax cable through the hull/mast, can you post some photos of examples? does anyone make a multi through hull connector where i might run the coax and power in the same plug? thanks :roll:
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

I hope to get to my trailer converson so I can get the 26 home from the Inner Banks of NC. I have the rotor/hub assys, the actuator. a pair of 3500# axles ,spring hangers and equalizer. I even have the 3rd crossmember made. Just need time. Last winter I spent time building the NC house. This winter after cutting and splitting 3 cords of wood I'll get to the trailer. Were down this past weekendand I had the usual 2" of water in the boat. I was mowing and it started raining so I went into the boat and pumped it out. While in there I found several leaks. All the port lights leaked a bit , but the real leak was at the toerail just foward of the fore head bulkhead.. The boat evidently took a hit there. The toe rail is slightly bent and the deck is soft there.I hope it is all rainwater inthe boat and not creek water.I'm not there often enough to monitor it.The boat has not left our dock in 3 years. I'm afraid to sial it without checking the keel pin and beefing up the shroud brackets in the cabin. Hopefully i'll be able to get it home next spring for a much needed refurb. I have the tow vehicle ready, an 89 doge Cummins Ram.
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

I hope to get to my trailer converson so I can get the 26 home from the Inner Banks of NC. I have the rotor/hub assys, the actuator. a pair of 3500# axles ,spring hangers and equalizer. I even have the 3rd crossmember made. Just need time. Last winter I spent time building the NC house. This winter after cutting and splitting 3 cords of wood I'll get to the trailer. Were down this past weekendand I had the usual 2" of water in the boat. I was mowing and it started raining so I went into the boat and pumped it out. While in there I found several leaks. All the port lights leaked a bit , but the real leak was at the toerail just foward of the fore head bulkhead.. The boat evidently took a hit there. The toe rail is slightly bent and the deck is soft there.I hope it is all rainwater inthe boat and not creek water.I'm not there often enough to monitor it.The boat has not left our dock in 3 years. I'm afraid to sial it without checking the keel pin and beefing up the shroud brackets in the cabin. Hopefully i'll be able to get it home next spring for a much needed refurb. I have the tow vehicle ready, an 89 doge Cummins Ram.