changing a c22 trailer to fit c26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
tnc110

changing a c22 trailer to fit c26

Post by tnc110 »

I might be getting a c26. It doesnt have a trailer, so for the time being I was going to use my c22 trailer...atleast to get it home. My c22 trailer is the tandem version that I see a lot of guys using for their c26. Has the 4 post roller system with 4 rollers for the keel. I think it is this one...http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/1334893268.html

My question is how much do i have to adjust it to get it to fit the c26?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I've got C26 hull measurements at

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep= ... 280778&ck=

Boat in the ad looks nice !
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I am going this week to measure and "blueprint" my OEM factory shipping cradle ( no one wanted it so the boatyard agreed to "dispose of it for free" and those are some seriously heavy timbers.... after many decades of being outside with the boat sitting in her snugly, she was litterally dropped off the truck from the Hyster and she hit the ground like she was made from one solid block of wood. really big damn timbers..

I may keep the "cradles" just so I have a pattern to make-up new ones that will perfectly fit the hull shape.

here is what I got regarding the set-up of my trailer from the trailer manufacturers -- they are the best most helpful people around and they know trailer ( SailTrailers in GA)... I hope this helps..

"We would like to see the pads located at bulkheads (especially on four post trailers), however, using the 80/20 rule (80% of boats weight on the keel/20% on the pads), each pad would carry less than 200lbs. Chrysler, like some other mfgs in that era, used a bit more fiberglass than needed because they did not know how strong it was - thus the term "classic glass with bullet proof hulls". The boat will have no problem with the pad placement. The hull should have no problem holding the entire weight of the boat for a short period. The pads are designed so that you can pick the boat up off the trailer in order to paint the bottom of the keel. The keel's bottom leading edge should be about 6" - 12" ahead of the front axle."
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
parared

Post by parared »

EmergencyExit wrote:I've got C26 hull measurements at

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep= ... 280778&ck=

Boat in the ad looks nice !
You wouldn't know where I could find similar numbers for a c22, would you. My current trailer is from a catalina 22 ( I think ), and needed about 6 inches of shimming at the rear. I'd like to reset it properly before I pull Dia this year.
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Is your trailer anything like mine?

I will get the measurements I used to cradle mine. Its easy launch and load from the boat ramp at my marina.
parared

Post by parared »

Mario G wrote:Is your trailer anything like mine?

I will get the measurements I used to cradle mine. Its easy launch and load from the boat ramp at my marina.
Yes, though mine has 3 bunker supports rather than
4. Thanks,

Chris
tnc110

Post by tnc110 »

well...no 26 for me. went to look at it and the deck was a sponge!!! not worth restoring if you ask me. really dissapointing.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

That is to bad. Sorry to hear that. I tend to agree with you though. A water logged core is not something I wish to tackle. Even if the boat was free.

Good call and keep looking!

Scott
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

too bad....but......PARTS BOAT!!!!!
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
tnc110

Post by tnc110 »

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/1386505372.html

guy started off at like 4900 and is now down to 2400...has an electric start 9.9 with cockpit controls
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

hmmmm... if someone wants to buy this thing, I would be interested in the wheel steering.... could even turn a nice profit on some of the stuff and still have the boat...
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
Windward

Wheel steering

Post by Windward »

I'm not a fan of wheel steering on the Chrysler 26 -- removed mine in 2003 in favor of a tiller, and have never looked back -- but if you're so inclined I have a pedestal w/ engine control levers, wheel, pulleys, quadrant I can probably let go reasonably. There's a local guy interested, and I need to give him first options, but if you're seriously interested I'll roust him after a I return from OBX in late October.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Jeff,

I would be interested in talking and pursuing it.... I see so many C-26s w/wheel steering so I always wonder ( never had a wheel steering sailboat... even the J30 had a (big) tiller)...I was planning a inboard deisel w/ saildrive ( I actually have the OEM saildrive and was looking for the proper (volvo?) diesel) and that would have taken up the space for the internal seering mechanisims... but now I am not sure about the inboard so I have room for the quadrant... I see that EDSON makes a purpose designed set-up for th C-26 ... so how bad could it be.... although it would take up a lot of room in an already small cockpit... I guess pm me
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

NYCSailor,

You should electrify that sail drive. Couple it with an electric motor and the right motor controller and you'd recharge the batteries when you are sailing.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
Chrysler20%26

Electric Motor

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

The day is comming whear electric motors will be the way to go for sail boaters. The big drow back has been the old led core batteries, but that is about to change. Keep an eye on the electric cars an solier panels. A lot of new thing are comming soon. Think about sails that are soler that are panels, light weight batteries. An No Sail- Drive Needed
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

you guys are so right!!!! Funny , I have been looking for a electric car solution to a commute to/from the train station but never thought about the inboard... funny...)

I would love to do a inboard electric on the c-26.. that would be perfect, I already have a nice solar panel project I have yet to do...hmmm... maybe a electric and a very small honda generator as backup.
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

With my 125 mile round trip commmute, I'd love an electic (oh yeah, the Tesla Roadster, uh-huh) or a hybrid. BUT, the dealer can never answer the two small questions I have to have an answer to - How many charge cycles before I have to replace the battery banks, and (mainly) how much will that cost !
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Electric is an excellent choice but only after battery technology catches up. The cost of replacing the batteries will likely total a hybrid when the time comes. Electric is so much more powerfull and versitile then internal combustion. When we have the ability to store and refill electricity or generate electricity on the fly then we will see a major change.

Fuel cells right now have caught my eye. I can see those becoming common place in the future. Same range and refeulablity ( is that a word? ) as a gas car. Stop for 5-10 minutes and you are topped off and off you go. Now THAT is what will cause electric cars/boats/ or whatever to become common place. A 4 hour charge time let alone over night is not acceptible in Americans eyes unless you can get a 1000 mile range on one charge!!!

Also, the more electric cars there are, the more gas is available for my vette!! LOL!
Yes a Tesla would be awesome!

Scott
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Ironically all the current breeds of Hybrid electric cars have a larger carbon foot print over the life of the vehicle than my 8000 lb truck. And what do you do with the batteries when you are done? And how much pollution is emitted generating the electricity to charge up that car...............it just makes no sense at all. But hey some people think turning the food we eat into fuel for our cars is a smart move.............. :roll: oooopsy :shock: sorry I'll just go out and cut a tree down to relieve the pressure :lol:
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

OOOppss Banshi, :shock: that was not PC at all. :( Shame Shame, do you need to borrow an axe or chainsaw to help relieve the demons? :roll: Got ya covered if you need a hand. :wink:
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
javelin

Re: Wheel steering

Post by javelin »

Windward wrote:I'm not a fan of wheel steering on the Chrysler 26 -- removed mine in 2003 in favor of a tiller, and have never looked back -- but if you're so inclined I have a pedestal w/ engine control levers, wheel, pulleys, quadrant I can probably let go reasonably. There's a local guy interested, and I need to give him first options, but if you're seriously interested I'll roust him after a I return from OBX in late October.

I would really be interested in the wheel steering for my 26. Is it very tricky to install? What are you asking ? I mean really ! I would of course pay for fedex or whatever Russell lilaccottage601@hotmail.com
Windward

Post by Windward »

Javelin,

There's a local guy who's got first right of refusal, and I PM'd NYCSailor, who has second option if the local guy flakes (seems likely). I'll drop you a note when I hear something definitive from either one, although I'll be away from the computer, sailing, from Oct 8 - 26 so it may be after that.

It was easy enough to remove, so wouldn't expect install to be too bad so long as cutting a hole in your cockpit sole doesn't bother you :)
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

pm sent... really trying to slowly update my c--26 to more modern standards within reason... while still keeping things simple...enjoy october sailing everyone...it is the best!

p.s I test drove a TESLA... wierd...it was VERY quick... but silent... no noise at all.. like a golf cart that got rearended from behind by a locomotive.... fast smooth and torquey but no noise at all..... aslo small about hte size fo the lotus and , yes, all batteries. I think they just dropped the price... they are hurting I think
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

How'ed yopu swing driving a Tesla?
Very cool! I'd love to try one!

Probably never buy one until all my concerns are addressed but even so, It would be fun!!!

Scott