Rudder post leak?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mjt

Rudder post leak?

Post by mjt »

Ok, I was doing some work on the Betsy Wetsy and thought I should dip her in the lake prior to hauling her 3 hours north this past weekend.

I backed her into the water next to the dock at the ramp so the water level was up past the keel pocket. I waited until early evening so I wouldn't be hogging the ramp.

I went inside with a flashlinght and climbed around and didn't see any leakage. So, after a few minutes I pulled her out to take her home and get her ready - cleaning out the dust and putting all the cushions, etc back in.

I get her home and look inside and find that there are a couple of inches of water inside of her....

So, I crawl around. I notice a little water in the compartment on the starboard side with the thru hull for the sink drain. However, the dust between the thru hull and the lower corner in the compartment is dry.

I then crawl under the cockpit and found that the dust between the rudder post and the battery is dry.

I had the rubber cap that covers the starboard side bracket off so I could check for leakage around the keep bracket and to also see if a repair I made to the front of the keel pocket was holding.

If a rudder post assembly leaks, can water get in between the outer hull and the hull liner and then after trailering come forward and wind up in the starboard compartment and then work forward and come out where the starboard keel bracket cover is suppose to be?

Mike
trev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trev »

I don't have an answer for you but I do have the same problem. There is water between the outer hull and inner shell and it slowly leeks into the compartment. I can see where it is coming from but how it got there i am at a loss. I have been sucking water out of the compartment for a couple months without the boat being in the water.

Definitely keep us posted to what you figure out.
77 C25
Myasis Dragon
http://www.svmyasisdragon.com
Gus

Post by Gus »

Yes. The liner meets the hull and there's a gap. Its usually sealed, but if let go, water will find its way from the rudder post all the way down the locker where the keel assembly its. I posted a while ago some photos of the repair I made on the rudder post, it is now the last of my worries.

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595