New member and introduction

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
shunt1

New member and introduction

Post by shunt1 »

Step by step, I am getting my C-22 ready for it's first sailing.

Today, we attempted to raise the mast inside the aircraft hanger, but the hanger was 3 inches too short. We were all amazed at how tall that mast was. We moved the aircraft out of the hanger, and centered the boat below the highest point. We even folded down the navigation light on top of the mast, but it was still too tall. With only 3 inches left, we contemplated letting the air out of the tires, but with the possibility of tire damage, I decided that it was not worth the risk. Darn, it would have been great to raise the sails for inspection inside of the hanger and not worry about any wind.

Anyway, I did get to practice how to raise and lower the mast by myself six times and everyone was rather amazed how well it worked. I spent an hour running lines and checking everything in my mind on how this would work and nobody had a clue what I was doing.

Thanks Captain Scott! Without your website and detailed pictures, I would have been totally lost.

When I was finally ready, they were absolutely amazed how "tricky" it was, as I applied levers and pulleys to raise a very heavy sailboat mast all by myself.

So far, the trailer has all new wheel bearings installed and the electric brakes have been inspected and verified that they are working. All new wiring (greased and heat shrinked connections) have been installed on the trailer and it is now safe to drive.

The Ford Edge (my wife had to sacrifice and trade in her car) still needs to have the trailer break wiring installed, but all of the other electrical connections have been tested. When we purchased the Ford, I demanded that the trailer hitch and wiring be installed as a condition of purchase. They did everything as expected, but the blue break wire is missing. Oh well, I was rather ignorant about electric trailer breaks at the time...

The boat had almost a 1/8 inch layer of calcium deposit below the water-line that had to be removed. I tried everything possible (CLR and other domestic products), but finally had to bring out the "heavy artillery" to get rid of it. With pure hydrochloric acid, that calcium rapidly dissolved, but I had to be very careful. My paint brushes kept dissolving. After a long weekend of applying the acid, spot by spot, the boat's hull is now sparkling clean and it's owner did not suffer any acid burns!

Ok, so the hanger floor is kind of yellow in a few spots, but I tried my best to protect it.

Fridays are my day off, but I have been spending that time at the airport working on the boat. Everyone is excited and has been helping me in every way possible. Sunday is my "alone time" where I work on the boat without anyone disturbing me.

Remember having fun in a tree house as a kid, and why it was so special? This boat is my "own special place" on Sunday, just like that tree house from so long ago.

Without this Chrysler Sailor Forum, I would have been totally lost. I can not thank each and every one of you enough.

Later
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
shunt1

Post by shunt1 »

Alan, thanks for being the first to welcome me abord.

What have I named my sailboat?

Both my daughter Christina Maria and my new C-22 were born in 1979, so the name was rather easy.

Obviously, my profession involves aircraft and flying. People at work keep teasing me about "scrubbing the new boat", but this is my form of performing something like an annual aircraft inspection for my newly obtained sailboat.

Safety must always come first, before this sailboat will ever gets into the water.

I live in Minnesota and Green Lake (Spicer, MN) will be my primary sailing area of operation.
FranS

Post by FranS »

Welcome! and yes, pictures please :-)
shunt1

Post by shunt1 »

"I put something I think is kind of bla out there and the forum light up."

You have no idea how important the little trivia is on this forum!

Does anyone have a picture of a head on a C-22, where the factory option was installed?

My wife will need that little item, but nobody seems to show any pictures of how it was mounted.

Sometimes, tiny little details...
shunt1

Post by shunt1 »

I promis, pictures will be taken and posted ASAP!

Besides, there are not too many C-22 sailboats sitting in aircraft hangers, and I had to laugh about it.

Moving all of the airplanes out of the hanger, just to get enough clearance to raise the mast of my C-22?

PRICELESS!
Gus

Post by Gus »

Welcome! Where are you going to be sailing at?
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome Shunt1 to the Chrysler Forum!

First of all, thank you for the kind words about my site! Please understand, the reason I put that page out there was because of all the wonderfull help I received as a Chrysler 22 rookie!! I figured it was the least I could do!!

Please let me know if there are specific photos you need and I will try and ablige!

Again welcome! Suck up all the knowledge you can and then one day you'll be sharing too!

I am indeed looking forward to and expecting photos of a C22 in a hanger!
Just sound like a cool place for her to hang out! I look at sailboats as earth tied planes anyway!!

Captain Scott
trev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trev »

Last edited by trev on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
77 C25
Myasis Dragon
http://www.svmyasisdragon.com
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

welcome aboard

Your right about this being a great site with a few obbsesed people :D (i'm sure I am at the top of the list)

the porta head uses 2 brackets to hold it in the v berth cut out port side just infront of bulk head. I will post pictures when I work out computer problems.

Not having my 75 C-22 in the water yet I still find the prep just part of the fun. Mine hasn't seen water in 15 + years so some of the pcs were missing whitch gave me a chance to hang out here and learn.

good luck with everything and remember to post pictures...lol
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Shunt1,
Welcome to the forum. I'm kind of new here myself, having just purchased our Chrysler 26 this spring. Cathy has been unable to sail most of the summer so it's been a summer of working on the boat and trailer.

We're in Rockford, IL, but our boat came from Minneapolis. There must have been a good Chrysler dealer in MN.

Maybe next summer we can arrange a Midwest Chrysler Regatta.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Welcome aboard Shunt1 and I hope you learn as much about Chrysler sailboats as I did.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Welcome
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

Welcome aboard, this really is the best place around to get questions answered about these boats. If none of us can come up with an answere we will make one up that at least sounds good. :wink: :roll: :shock:
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"