Broken Mast Step Finger

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Chrysler20%26

Broken Mast Step Finger

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep= ... 7887&ck=EE was nice enouf to give us a photo of the mast step finger. I have a new frend that has a 1978 C-26, an he brok his finger while lowering his mast. It is now 1&1haff inch high, witch would hold the mast once up. I took on the job to fix it, I can weild it. But first i wont to try an find one, not broken. There is a small Foundre hear in town, I went thear to have a new one cast, thay said thay could cast one for $25.00 But the Mold would cost $1,000. Now I like my new frend, but not that much.
FranS

Post by FranS »

Why not just replace the mast step with the hinged variety? Rigrite has them for about $100.
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

If the mast finger is the same from a C-22 ?. Phil might have one.
sailbob2

Post by sailbob2 »

Thanks Bob (Chrysler 20%26) he's trying to protect the clumsy here - LOL - It's my mast finger that got broke, one of my Mast bridle straps came loose on one side, while lowring my mast, allowing the mast to swing far to starboard and break the finger (no other damage) I'm looking at the hinged mast step as an option. I had one on my previous sailboat and liked it very much. we're looking at welding the finger back on also (Bob's a retired Iron worker) I can gas weld but welding cast Alum is beyond my skill. We're (Bob and I ) are exploring all the options. Never thought about finding a used one (good idea). Again thanks for the help Bob and remember it's only money - LOL
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

SailBob, I did the exact same thing on EE. Didn't break the finger, but rippped the whole step plate out and flung it 2 boats down the row.
javelin

hinge

Post by javelin »

My step finger is slightly broken at the very tip but does not seem to make any difference. I am interested in the hinged idea. Does anyone have a picture and does this eliminate the need for bridles ?
FranS

Re: hinge

Post by FranS »

javelin wrote:My step finger is slightly broken at the very tip but does not seem to make any difference. I am interested in the hinged idea. Does anyone have a picture and does this eliminate the need for bridles ?
It does not eliminate the need for bridles. See Capt Scott's website, It maked single handed raising very easy!
FranS

Post by FranS »

We had ours welded once. I think the guy charged us $75. He left a large bead around the weld which we had to grind down, but it worked fine.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I have photos of both the hinge and the finger:

The hinge does not remove the need for bridles if you are single handling the mast.

However with three people I can step my mast in literally just a few minutes with the hinge. That is three people total. Me and two others.

If you click the "1976 Sold" link on my signature you will be whisked away to my site where you can see these mast shots and many more.
If you click "Lady Jo" in my signature you can follow links that will describe how to step the mast alone including a video.

Hope this helps!

Scott

Original

Hinged

Hinged and mast up:
sailbob2

Post by sailbob2 »

I really like that hinged mast step. As I stated before I had one on a 21 footer I had. Been looking at Rig-Rite as a supplier. I have to measure everything to make sure I order the correct one. I also was wondering about the bridle my last boat didn't require the use of one but I don't remember the geometry of the rigging. I'm guessing the welding of the finger won't be a problem as it only keeps the base of the mast centered and dosen't look to have any real load on it.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I will weld the finger myself at no cost to any one. Thank you Scott for the photos, lookes to me to be the same finger on C-22 & C- 26. But not the C-20. An Scott about the mast belonging on top, On the C-20 the only time you need to leve the safty of the cockpit is to put out the jib the, an with roller ferling, you can stay in the cockpit all the time. C-20 A vary safe sailboat.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Seems like you could cast a solid square block and mill it down fairly easily to save on the expensive mold. In fact you could probably get a piece of billet? (if that is the right term) big enough to do it.
sailbob2

Post by sailbob2 »

I've been researching casting pcs like the mast step myself plenty of info on the net about backyard crucibles and sand casting. It doesn't look to difficult. One more skill set to learn.