Mast Step

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Chrysler20%26

Mast Step

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Mast step, some thing to hold the bodom of mast. OK now think of your mast as being a 27' leaver or pry bar. If the mast gets away from you, eather putting it up, or lowering down. Somthing is going to break, I would rather weld a mast step finger than repare a hole in the deck. You deside where do you wont the week point to be.
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I agree it should be fixed or replaced, Yes accidents happen and when things get broken, fixing the problem right is the only way to guarentee it won't happen again.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

When my mast step got caught in that bind and the screws ripped out, I almost made the mistake of overfixing it with thru the deck bolts and a plate. But I realized (as you say) it would be better to have the screws rip out again than have a huge hole torn out of the deck !
sailbob2

Post by sailbob2 »

Absolutly; I almost made the mistake of, thinking, over engineer it. But after talking it over with the other Bob came to relise that some things are made to break easily to save it from a catistrophic failure.
Paul the Denverite

Post by Paul the Denverite »

I am intrigued with this approach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwCQ5mZcfXY

There are several boats showing this on youtube. Some claim to be able to step and unsteap in fairly high winds.

Thoughts???
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Thank you Paul, that was nice.