main halyard

Have something you want to talk about that's not sailing oriented? Here's the place. But remember, keep discussions civil, no flaming, be respectful of others, and no profanity.

Moderator: CaptainScott

Beverly Peterson

main halyard

Postby Beverly Peterson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi, I have a 1974 Chrysler Mutineer. I am changing the main halyard and want to go bigger than 3/16". Has anyone used 1/4" or 3/8"? I could step the mast to see if the line works through the top...but I thought I would ask here first.

The bailer - has anyone tried any other kind of bailer system with a '74 Chrysler Mutineer? Thank you.

oldiesrocker2001

Postby oldiesrocker2001 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:43 am

HI Beverly,
I haven't sailed or rigged my 15 yet, as I took delivery in November, but if you are using the knot near the halyard as the manual shows, a larger line may not go thru the sheave with it. I plan to use a cleat and be able to use the halyard to assist on stepping the mast. Don't forget also, that lines exposed to weather eventually swell up a bit over time(the main and jib halyard on my V21 barely fit through the blocks when I bought it and I replaced all running rigging almost immediately when I first sailed it).
If anything's gonna happen, it'll happen out there

Beverly Peterson

Postby Beverly Peterson » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Hello, thank you for your response. I did change to line to 1/4" and it slides through fine. If the line swells, it looks like the sheeve can handle the extra bulk. At the base of the mast I secured a pulley to assist with raising the main and a cleat to secure the main halyard as opposed to the knot system....I don't trust it!

oldiesrocker2001

Postby oldiesrocker2001 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi again Beverly,
That seems to be a better solution. Is there no cleat on the base of the mast(my whole rig is already buttoned up for the winter)? On my O'day 17, I used the jib halyard secured to a cleat at the bow and the bitter end was held as I walked the mast up. When upright, I cleated the end of the halyard and went forward to secure the forestay. I do a variation of this with my V21 with a gin pole and baby stays(I use the vang's 4:1 advantage for this one instead of simply horsing it up). Obviously this won'twork on the mutineer with roller furling and I plan to do a variation of it with the main halyard instead, if it's long enough.
This brings me to a question about the furler. In my gear with the mutineer was a cowling of sorts that looks like it would fit into the hole (which looks like a raw opening) on the deck for the furler/forestay . Should this white piece of plastic be placed loose on the bottom of the furling drum to allow a smoother spin or perhaps epoxied to the deck?
:? :?:
If anything's gonna happen, it'll happen out there

Return to “General Discussion”