Chrysler Sailors Forum Index Chrysler Sailors
Talk Chrysler Sailing, Sailing in general

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

main halyard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chrysler Sailors Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beverly Peterson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: main halyard Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 1974 Chrysler Mutineer. I am changing the main halyard and want to go bigger than 3/16". Has anyone used 1/4" or 3/8"? I could step the mast to see if the line works through the top...but I thought I would ask here first.

The bailer - has anyone tried any other kind of bailer system with a '74 Chrysler Mutineer? Thank you.
oldiesrocker2001

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Beverly,
I haven't sailed or rigged my 15 yet, as I took delivery in November, but if you are using the knot near the halyard as the manual shows, a larger line may not go thru the sheave with it. I plan to use a cleat and be able to use the halyard to assist on stepping the mast. Don't forget also, that lines exposed to weather eventually swell up a bit over time(the main and jib halyard on my V21 barely fit through the blocks when I bought it and I replaced all running rigging almost immediately when I first sailed it).
Beverly Peterson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, thank you for your response. I did change to line to 1/4" and it slides through fine. If the line swells, it looks like the sheeve can handle the extra bulk. At the base of the mast I secured a pulley to assist with raising the main and a cleat to secure the main halyard as opposed to the knot system....I don't trust it!
oldiesrocker2001

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Beverly,
That seems to be a better solution. Is there no cleat on the base of the mast(my whole rig is already buttoned up for the winter)? On my O'day 17, I used the jib halyard secured to a cleat at the bow and the bitter end was held as I walked the mast up. When upright, I cleated the end of the halyard and went forward to secure the forestay. I do a variation of this with my V21 with a gin pole and baby stays(I use the vang's 4:1 advantage for this one instead of simply horsing it up). Obviously this won'twork on the mutineer with roller furling and I plan to do a variation of it with the main halyard instead, if it's long enough.
This brings me to a question about the furler. In my gear with the mutineer was a cowling of sorts that looks like it would fit into the hole (which looks like a raw opening) on the deck for the furler/forestay . Should this white piece of plastic be placed loose on the bottom of the furling drum to allow a smoother spin or perhaps epoxied to the deck?
Confused Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chrysler Sailors Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: