Keel pivot check

Post All Keel Topics Here
slane1124

Keel pivot check

Post by slane1124 »

Ok, I'm getting dangerously close to being ready to spend time on the water. The main thing I am paranoid about is the pivot pin (?) for the keel. I can open the access to the pivot pin, but how can I tell if it's been repaired, replaced, or just rusted. I don't want to get out on the water and hear the keel break free and sink to the bottom.
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
www.ndipolygraphservices.com
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hi Robbie,

Haven't heard of a pin breaking, it's 5/8ths SS,, more common to have water leaking around the brackets... Unless you see a lot of bad fiberglass and corrosion, check it close when on the water, it's a major repair best done in off season unless unsafe... I've left off my inspection ports and check for water in there each visit.

I'd be sure to check/replace the keel cable. That's an easy fix, and if it breaks on the water can cause significant keel trunk damage and leaking, not to mention the keel can't retract for loading...

Here's a link to view my transducer, but next to it is my keel bracket showing nice new 4200 and clean bracket after I redid it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bhacurly/s ... 6044/show/

Hope this helps!
Billy
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

you will have to go underneath and look at it from there to see the condition of both the brackets and the pin................I replaced mine first and good thing I did or I would have heard that sound you dread.One bracket literally fell apart after cutting the keel bolt(about 3/8 left) and dropping it out of the way. It is going to depend on where the boat spent more time...in the water or out.
tnc110

Post by tnc110 »

CHECK IT!!!...my keel is at the bottom of the lake where it will stay for the rest of its life!!!...plus I spent 4 hrs trying to right a boat without a keel for counter weight...$1000 in phones and other electronics ruined...wallet lost....
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

Bottom of the lake is what I was afraid of hearing. I'll try and post some pics so maybe y'all can tell what shape I'm in.
Ok, after reading my post, I figured y'all would tell me I'm in terrible shape, balding, fat, ugly... I meant to say, what shape my keel mount was in. That's better.
Thanks!
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
www.ndipolygraphservices.com
Sailfrog

Keel Pivot Check

Post by Sailfrog »

TNC110,

Have you figured out why your boat's keel decided to part company with the boat? (Other than gravity, of course.) Was it the keel pin, or the brackets? Or...?
tnc110

Post by tnc110 »

i havent looked at it closley...but from my initial observations while standing on her belly i would say that the pin sheared clean off!!! brakets all seem to be in place. I will post more as i repair it...I have located a replacement keel and plan to get her back in the water shortly. stay tuned....
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Don't forget picts!
FranS

Post by FranS »

tnc110 wrote:i havent looked at it closley...but from my initial observations while standing on her belly i would say that the pin sheared clean off!!! brakets all seem to be in place. I will post more as i repair it...I have located a replacement keel and plan to get her back in the water shortly. stay tuned....
That's good news, I would consider replacing the brackets as well, since the keel is out. You can order them from someone who posts her, about $350. Money well spent in my opinion. The hard part of the job, droping the keel, is already done.
tnc110

Post by tnc110 »

That's good news, I would consider replacing the brackets as well, since the keel is out. You can order them from someone who posts her, about $350. Money well spent in my opinion. The hard part of the job, droping the keel, is already done.[/quote]

so how do you recomend I get the keel back in place? I was thinking make a cradle for the front of the boat and one for the rear and pull it off the trailer where i can access it better. I have a skid steer, mini excavator and front end loader....should be able to get it on cradles with one or a combination of these pieces....
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

This thread will point you to both a source for brackets, and a site with pics of the process.

viewtopic.php?t=797&highlight=c22+keel
Gus

Post by Gus »

The best check you can do to the keel pin: get a good insurance with US Boats or something like that. If anything happens, you are at least covered. I sleep well when I go sailing knowing that I have insurance against anything, even sinking the boat.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Here are some pictures of my keel bracket and refurbishing project including some pictures of getting it back in

http://www.byershome.net/_Boat/Keel/Keel.htm
FranS

Post by FranS »

Detailed process info can be found here: http://www.clearintent.net/C22