bulk head repair

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Mario G

bulk head repair

Post by Mario G »

I got to removing the starboard side bulk head to re-laminate and found the lower section had water damage do to the port window leaking above it.

So I thought well I was repairing the rotted wood I would throw a little reinforcement in it.

The aluminum plate will attach to the chain plate and run all the way to the bottom and have the stock hardwear holding it to the cabin interior so it won't be seen after the laminate is replaced.
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

Mario,

I found similar water damage when I removed the galley in the 26 and removed the formica. I ended up gluing the delaminated plywood with epoxy, sanding and filling the low spots. It look pretty good with just primer. I plan to do the same to the bulkheads and just paint them white.

Holiday
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Mario G
Nice upgrade, should be very strong.
PO of Happy Place, just replaced the bulkheads with teak faced plywood. Really helped dress up the inside.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Capt., I love the sound of this option, by chance do you have any pics.
I wonder how it looks with the other wood trim in the boat.
also, where would one get such a product, if you know?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I'm going to use teak veneer to finish it , I bought a 4'by8' sheet $$$ to redo both bulk heads and other areas in the boat.

I'll post a picture soon
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

Mario,

Have you tried the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville? Good folks. I got some teak and holly plywood from them really cheap. They had gotten an incorrect shippment and were just getting rid of it. I also found boat building grades of plywood for my reinforcements on the 26.

Holiday
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

Mario,

Have you tried the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville? Good folks. I got some teak and holly plywood from them really cheap. They had gotten an incorrect shippment and were just getting rid of it. I also found boat building grades of plywood for my reinforcements on the 26.

Holiday
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Not totally finished yet but this is what it will look like

Holiday the Hardwood store in Gibsonville is where I got the veneer, they weren't very helpful and tried talking me out of buying teak boards.

I will shop there again even thou I like to look at what I'm buying when It comes to wood.
I will have to ask them if they have anymore wrong shipments.
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Wow that looks awsome, let me know if there is more avail.

thanks
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

That does look good Mario!
Feel free to come work on Lady Jo if you'd like! LOL!

Scott