CLO or Bust!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gus

CLO or Bust!

Post by Gus »

See ya! :)

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

CLO?
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Civic Light Opera (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)

must be something the wife wanted...lol
Gus

Post by Gus »

Cape Lookout, NC

I just got back, what a weekend. Jeff still in the water.

Gus
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

details and pictures because you didn't take me with you...lol
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Whew, cause the first thing I saw on the Civic Light Opera website was "Plaid Forever".
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

Gus, saw your post about the pirates sail. We were at our condo on Albemarle Sound that wknd. Cold and windy.
Glad everyone made it back safe and sound
We just got back last night.
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
Gus

Post by Gus »

Yeah it was quite a trip, not fun at night, but we all made it back in one piece, this one was one for the books I'll tell ya! :)

I forgot to add, the tiller pilot (Raymarine ST-2000) Oh My God, how could I ever lived without one! Best thing aboard next to the GPS Chartplotter and the food!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sounds like a lot of fun and excitement!!
As far as tiller pilots?? Yeah baby! We have dubbed ours "Auto".

I'll never go on any extended sailing without! :)
If anyone out there does not have one and is contemplating it . . . .
DO IT! Your only regret will be you did not do it sooner!! LOL!

Scott
Windward

Post by Windward »

Gus is right... we had a blast! If I had any vacation (and money) left I'd still be there.

The tiller pilot is hard to live without once you get used to it. Mine died last year, and I replaced it for this run. Still hoping to get the old one repaired so that I can have a backup.

A buddy of mine joined me for a few days the following week, and we got in a great trip from Ocracoke around Lookout Shoals on the outside, then in some big waves in Onslow Bay (south of Beaufort) next day. I put some details up on NCSAIL.ORG, but will probably cross post here later.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Quite teasing us you guys!
Where are the photos of the parties and the sailing??

8)

Scott
Gus

Post by Gus »

Hey Jeff! Good reading you man, glad you had a good time!! Does the riding sail works ok then? I have the same problem in my 22, it keeps on hunting at anchor and drives me nuts!

I can believe it I made it in the anchorage ok with just 1 anchor, but the next morning it was a pain to weight it back aboard, it was stuck really good that I had to use the winch.

Gus
Windward

Post by Windward »

Windward did not drag at anchor, but the outgoing tide and wind interacted differently with opposite ends of the boat and caused the rode to wrap around the keel several times. I put out the second hook off the stern to keep her from pivoting; I don't like to anchor both ends when waves and decent winds are in the picture, but decided having her beam exposed to wind would be better on two hooks than because the single rode was wrapped around the keel.

Only tried the riding sail three nights, but it appears to make a huge difference. First night was in Ocracoke harbor; winds were too light to make much determination, but had no problems. Second night was in CLO Bight, with winds up to about 20 kt; she rode steadily into the wind as though she were on a track. Third night was in Cedar Creek, toward the north end of Adams Creek; winds went from light to maybe 10. Initially she seemed to hunt slightly, but the winds were shifty; the proof there was when I struck the sail about 15 minutes before we weighed anchor, at which point she veered significantly the whole time.

I will measure it when I get a chance, but it's maybe 4' on the luff, 6' on the leech and 5.5' on the foot. There are two piston hanks to attach it to the backstay. I clip the tack to the backstay bridle plate, raise it using the spinnaker halyard and sheet to the port rail up around the chain plates.