Ring . . . Hello? She's listing . . . uh oh .. .

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ring . . . Hello? She's listing . . . uh oh .. .

Post by CaptainScott »

Well, that was me at lunch yesterday. Para phrased but you get the drift . . .

Just after noon I got a call from the marine. Lady Jo is listing heavily to port and I should come check her out. I promptly dropped all and headed home to get her keys and see what is up.

At home my cell rang again. "Are you coming and how soon?" Oh @#!*! ( insert your favorite explicitive ) . So I jumped in my new tow rig and hooked up Lady Jo's trailer fearing the worst. I raced to the marina.

I got there and in the parking lot was Jeff ( great guy ) You must be Scott. Oh geeze he was waiting for me!!

I ran down to the dock and down to Lady Jo where they had already opened her up and were ready to get the marina pumps to pump her out.

Hmm. She definately had about a foot of water in her. I told Jeff she was positively bouyant and that I'd deal with pumping her myself. He offered several more times to pump her for me but I just can not afford that right now. Sheesh, I just paid all my cash out for a truck!

Studying the situation I could see the battery was just barely but completely submerged. Well, that is out. The fully water proof battery charger I have was dry but not on. So . . . I fished out one of my TWO builge pumps and ran wires directly to the charger. Hmm, no power. Checked the AC. Hmm, no AC. So I checked my pigtail at the power source and guess what! It had smoked! Swelled up and was fried. Go figure.

I walked over to the closest marina parts where I bought a new 20AMP-110v pigtail. Plugged her in and suddenly there is a solid stream of water exiting my transom bilge port! YEAH! So I sat for about an hour while Lady Jo rose to the occassion so to speak! the mast straightened and the waterline got better!

She floats!

Since I had the trailer and was to relinquish the slip at the end of the month, I fired her up motored to the haulout ramps up the river a mile away and called Jeff to pick me up and take me back to my truck and trailer.

While putting her on the trailer I discovered the keel lifiting line and broke again. Oh well. No problem, she slid on the trailer any way.

I was just getting ready to set up my bridles to step the mast and a couple of big burley power boaters asked if I need help dropping it! I said sure and had it down in five minutes with their help!

Another 20 minutes or so wrapping up lines and tieing her down and I was rolling towards home where there are now TWO Chrysler 22's end to end in my spare driveway! Yeah!

After all was said and done, I have learned even the best laid plans go awry. You see, I knew she was leaking. Not bad but enough. I had TWO bilge pumps. AC power AND Solar power! Simply put I should have immediately hauled her. Put Lady Di in her place. sailed Lady Di and fixed Lady Jo. Lesson learned. No leak goes unfixed!

I have since learned that the marine rewired the entire dock. I suspect I had a faulty pigtail or very near faulty. When the power came back on there was a surge and the faulty pigtail gave out. The battery and solar power held out as long as possible. Now days it has been quite cloudy in our area so the solar power was not enough anymore. It had been two weeks since I last visited Lady Jo. She was dry then and I did not notice the lack of AC at that time.

WOW! What a day yesterday!
Today I'm back at my full time job punching a keyboard!

Scott
FranS

Post by FranS »

I love happy endings. I feel your pain, we had a similar experience about three weeks after we splashed ours for the first time. In retrospect the thing we did wrong was exactly the same. we should ahve pulled her as soon as she began to take on a little water.
Live and learn. Glad it all worked out well.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

wow! great action filled heart pumping story.... as I was reading it I was wondering ...will he get there in time,, will she or won't she sink....how much is this gonna cost him...

anyway all's well that ends well...

where is she leaking from...

THis winter I am debating sealing up all my below waterline holes ( none leak a bit but still...) and using a in hull transponder OR simply using a single tri-ducer with just one hole and eliminating the second knotmeter tranducer...

I will alsoput in a proper seacock in the sink drain... since it that happened tome and she listed to port, which she would, the sink drain thru hull would go under and then so would the boat.

"positively bouyant" does that mean that even filled with water our chryslers should still float??
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Yes, if filled completely with water they float assuming the original floatation is there.

She is leaking from the keel bolt the best I can tell.

The day was exciting. However the problem was no where near as bad as they marina made it seem. I think she was sipping water slowley for a while and last night finally listed to port causing everyone to notice!

Please check my updated forsale in the forsale section!LOL!!

Scott
Last edited by CaptainScott on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

where is this floatation ( to make sure it is still there)

also, you have me rethinking moving my battery to the lowest point in the cabin under the ladder ( for better sailing performance) if I keep my battery high in the cockpit lazerette, she won't go under, but I think what happened is that you lost the power to the bilge pumps and then it was all just a matter of time.....
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

NYC, the 22' guys have foam for flotation - us 26' guys have concrete and lead for flotation. Draw you own conclusion. :wink:

BTW the Starwinds must not have inherited the foam - I've personally seen one of those sink.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

My floatation on Lady Jo is under the starboard sette. Directly under the sink and stove when pulled out. Also there is some aft of the lazerettes.

The battery on Lady Jo is moved to the low spot under the companion way and I like it. The battery on Lady Di is in the aft end of port lazerette.

I prefer the Lady Jo set up by far!
Scott
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

EE --- too funny!

I didn't think the 26s had any floatation/// in fact the boat is so "rock" solid I always had the feeling that she really wants to go down -- like a rock , if she ever started filling with water.

I really have to plug some holes, better bilge pump and figure out what to do about the damn rudder post thru hull ( although mine is OEM ( yes radiator tube and all) and does not leak a drop...

my benefit is that I have the fixed keel and at low tide she barely has a few inches under her keel in her slip, so I would imagine if she went down at the slip, she wouldn't go very far.....
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

No the starwinds didn't get the foam.

I have a very slight leak at the rutter thru haul (Where its clamped inside) but keep my boat on the hard between sails.

Its comming home next month for repairs.

glad everything worked out Scott It would take me 50 min with a risk of speeding ticket so keeping it on the hard is fine, I have launch and load under 20 min.
shunt1

Post by shunt1 »

The last two times that I have been on my C-22, I had about 2 inches of water on the floor. Using a sponge, it was easy to dry out, there is obviously a leak somewhere.

Sue and I were able to get out onto the lake three times with the new sailboat and were learning rather rapidly. Sue insisted that we spend one weekend getting our home ready for the winter, so we got busy doing that important task.

The following weekend, the weather was rather bad, so I decided to stay home, Sue was curious as to when the restaurant would remove their docks for the winter and telephoned them... "Oh, did you hear what happened to that sailboat?" The restaurant has a two deck party barge that makes a 2 hour trip around the lake several times a day.

On their return to the dock, they cut it a little too close to my sailboat and the rope between my mooring buoy (only 20 feet long) wrapped around the barge's propeller! The barge lost all power and was connected to my sailboat in a rather strong wind, so this became a major emergency! They called for help and got a boat to tow the barge back to the dock, but in the process, they had to cut my sailboat loose. Obviously, the barge must have absolute priority with it's passengers and they were able to keep everyone safe.

They were then able to capture my drifting sailboat before it hit anything and safely tow it to another dock. With a keel, finding a dock that could handle a sailboat was not easy, but they called around and located a dock on the other side of the lake. Now, my sailboat is safe and sound.

The restaurant had lost my name and address, so they had no way to contact me! For over a week, I had no idea what had happened.

Last Thursday, they were able to send divers down to retrieve the anchor chain for the mooring buoy (the barge snapped the chain) and tow my sailboat back to where it belonged.

Friday, I had the day off from work and sailed the boat all alone for the very first time! Trying to control such a large boat without any help was rather scary, but I was damn proud of myself when I was back on my mooring buoy. That is not easy, since I had to plan my navigation from almost 1/2 mile away and make approach relative to the wind. When I "kissed the buoy" after a precision approach, I let the main sail loose, snagged the mooring rope in the water, ran forward and tied it the the bow of the boat, and then lowered the sail on my way back to the cockpit. When I was done, it was like I had been tied to the buoy all along.

Saturday, it SNOWED! In all recorded history, Minnesota has only had snow before 15 Oct seven times. This was rather shocking. Saturday morning, I woke up snow on the ground and a temp of 27 deg F. Our trees were just as shocked! Between 8:00 AM and 10:00 AM, my walnut trees dropped all of their green leaves. Seriously, these trees were dumping everything and were totally bare two hours later. Nobody has ever seen trees drop GREEN leaves and it has caused another rather interesting problem. Green leaves do not mulch (just clogged the mower) and we no idea how to deal with this rather unusual problem. It snowed once again Sunday evening! Damn "Global Warming!"

Sunday, I was on my sailboat in 34 deg F weather, because this was my last time before the winter ice. This turned out to be rather amazing. Most people took their boats out of the water after Labor Day, but when the snow hit on Saturday, everyone else had their boats out of the water, except me.

All alone on a 8 mile diameter lake. No motor and the only sound was from my inflatable dingy being towed 100 feet behind my sailboat. It was very cold on deck with the wind-chill, but down in the cabin, it was rather nice. After tying the tiller with a rope, the sailboat was perfectly balanced and sailing on it's desired course without my supervision. I would stick my head out of the cabin every few minutes to insure that everything was correct, but most of the time, I simply sat in the cabin and enjoyed a warm cup of coffee. With nobody else on the lake, I did not have to worry about any other boats.

ABSOLUTE PEACE!

That will never happen again, but for one brief moment in my life, God "kissed me" in a way that I will never forget.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Never like to hear of sinking Chrysler's, vary good to leve a phone nomber an a note. (if you see my boat in troble pleas call.) Happy that every one is OK. That was some story from (shunt1) glad she called. How it would to go to your boat, an see no boat.
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I'm still tring to find the big leak in mine. if its just me even over night my floor stays dry but with the wife and the cooler,water jug and port a pot the floor gets a little wet...lol I'd don't want to replace all 4 just to fix the problem...lol
FranS

Post by FranS »

Great Story Shunt1 !

I have a leak of a different sort to deal with today. From the upstairs bathroom into the kitchen. The pulmber asked if I could wait till tommorrow and I quoted this forum. Never ignore a leak! He's coming today :-)
skyking

Post by skyking »

Mario G wrote:I'm still tring to find the big leak in mine. if its just me even over night my floor stays dry but with the wife and the cooler,water jug and port a pot the floor gets a little wet...lol I'd don't want to replace all 4 just to fix the problem...lol
Mario, I have a similar problem, I have discovered that the extra weight allows water to come into the rear compartment for the gas tank thru the scuppers( or what ever theyre called)..After which it seems that there is a sealant between the transom & bottom of the hull where a little water is seeping in....

Take a flafh light and look under the cockpit for some tell tale stains of water streaming from this area...I thought it was my rudder post due to that filling up from the leak and then it would run into the cabin from there...
shunt1

Post by shunt1 »

After spending several hours on my C22 trying to locate the leak, I was still rather stumped.

Finding 2 inches of water in the cabin, after an event that could have sunk my sailboat, did not surprize me. A sponge was all that was needed to make everything nice and dry.

Returning two days later and finding another 2 inches of water in the cabin did cause me to worry. Where is it coming from?

On the port side, there are 4 OEM holes where the toilet would have been mounted. When I put my weight towards the bow, water would shoot out of those holes. Not knowing the cause, I rolled some duct tape into tapers and pounded them into the holes. That stopped that leak, but I still do not know the original source. I then sponged the cabin nice and dry.

Thirty minutes later, the cabin was wet once again. Checking my duct tape tapers, they were holding just fine and that was not the source of the water. Now I was rather stumped.

Inspecting the storage bins, I discovered that they were full of water also, so no matter how much I sponged, they were leaking water onto the cabin floor.

The low point is around the keel bolt, so that may be the source of the leak. Who knows what forces this sailboat was subjected to, when a barge wrapped the mooring line around it's propeller. I am still amazed that it was not sunk.

One thing that got me very curious, and may be the actual source of the leak:

On the shelf around the interiour of the cabin, everything was totally soaked! Gloves, paper towes, and sponges were all sopping wet. The previous two weeks, we had nothing but rain, and I now suspect that the stanchion mounts were leaking and flooding the interior of the boat.

That would explain why the storage bins were full of water, since the water would flow down along the side walls and pool into those locations. Once the storage bins were flooded, they would eventually leak into the cabin.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Think about it because I had the same problem:

Either your keel brackets are slowly leaking (check both sides)

The rudder thru-hull might be leaking. If you take it apart, the liner goes all the way under the cockpit kinda like hull then liner then sealant to fix the rudder bearing in place. There's a chance that water might be leaking in between the liner and the hull and finding its way forward.

Rain, the portholes might be leaking, or some of the hardware on deck. On mine the mast light wire didn't had any sealant at all, and to this day the space between the headliner and deck still wet.

On mine I had to take everything off the deck to fix the 10.000 leaks due to bad sealant that was never checked or replaced.

I wouldn't leave a boat that leaks in the water, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Gus

1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
FranS

Post by FranS »

Shunt,

Are you in fresh or salt water. We always had some water in one of the starboard comparments, but it was fresh water and we determined it was a leaking window.
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

shunt,

I donno about the 22, but on the 26, the deck is three layers, fiberglass outer layer, core or middle layer of mixed plywood and honeycomb (fancy name for cardboard), and the inner fiberglass liner. If any of your deck hardware is not bedded correctly, the rain water can enter the outer layer, run along the middle layer, and exit above the shelves where core and liner don't go all the way to the hull (at least in my boat). This means that even the main hatch slider's screws can cause this, it doesn't have to be as close as the windows. Just something to check out.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
shunt1

Post by shunt1 »

I am on fresh water here in Minnesota.

The suggestions have been outstanding and I can not thank everyone enough for helping.

I know that water will get into the sailboat during a rainstorm, since that happened a few times while working on it at the airport.
Gus

Post by Gus »

thepartydog wrote:shunt,

I donno about the 22, but on the 26, the deck is three layers, fiberglass outer layer, core or middle layer of mixed plywood and honeycomb (fancy name for cardboard), and the inner fiberglass liner. If any of your deck hardware is not bedded correctly, the rain water can enter the outer layer, run along the middle layer, and exit above the shelves where core and liner don't go all the way to the hull (at least in my boat). This means that even the main hatch slider's screws can cause this, it doesn't have to be as close as the windows. Just something to check out.
I had that problem too. This is how I fix it: I drilled 1/2 holes where the original screws where, then fill the cavities with thickened epoxy and let it dry. After it dries, I drilled new wholes but I didn't go all the way thru, A ancier way to fix that was to install the screws in the fresh epoxy, and let it set, then all you have to do is to unscrew, apply sealant and install the rails.

Gus
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

where the stanchion mount on the deck of my C-22 its just 2 layers , the deck fiberglass is thick and then the interior liner. My stanchions are bolted thru both. Its not a problem know but I can see the stress cracks in the deck gel-coat around the base of the stantions nearest the cock-pit so I plan on slipping in aluminum plates between the layers to strangtion the area with out cutting the deck. with the wifes help I'm sure it will only take an hour to do both sides.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Its not solid, there's some honeycomb in there. Mine had some plywood backing plates installed at factory, but they rotted out. I had to cut and install new plywood and that took more than a day.

Gus