A disaster averted.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mga1951

A disaster averted.

Post by mga1951 »

Hi Everyone,
For us in the Ohio region, these past 3 days have had winds 25-30 w/ gusts to 50. Wife and I decided to go out sunday afternoon before the big winds came in. Sailing was great and as we were coming to our dock, the pontoon boat next to us had broken loose from the dock.

Owner had only 1 bow line and 1 stern line, The stern line was the only line still holding. Bow line was rotted through. With our boat out of the slip the wind pushed the boat around 180 degrees.
We had to re-tie up the pontoon before we could dock into our side of the slip

After looking the situation over. If we had not been sailing, the pontoon boat would have been slamming into our port side continously w/ the point of his pontoon. We have fenders out but would not have helped us.
With the winds going for 3 days, we just checked our boat tonight and the owner has not checked on his boat yet!!!

Who knows what our boat would have looked like after 3 days of that,

You don't only have to check your lines, you might want to check your neighbors too!!

Season is about over for us and I'm not ready!! :(
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
FranS

Post by FranS »

Stories like this are unfortunately too common. Last fall we had a late season TS threaten. We were about three weeks from pulling the boat for the season so we were torn about what to do. After consulting with some trusted old salts we decided to leave her in the water, but we went out to the mooring and stripped her down to the are poles, added extra chafe gear and a bilge pump.

The launch guys told us we were one of only a handful of boat owners who did anyhting to prepare.

All went well, for insurance I threw the launch guys $50 bucks to keep an eye out :-)
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Glad your boat was not damaged. As nice as it is to have a dock I still like the safety of keeping my boat on the trailer. :)

Sunday was a great day be out sailing. I took a friend out that day sailing and he is currently looking for a boat as we speak. Hooked on one sail!

As I was launching my C-26 there was a C-22 pulling out. These boats are all over the place!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

WOW.
Good for you for helping the pontoon boat.
You were indeed lucky to save your own boat. Makes good sense to have insurance. Had his boat hit and sunk your boat you could be liable for any fuel spills and the associated fines. NOT CHEAP.

Tipping the local fellow to keep an eye out is good to.
We have live aboards all around Destiny. I make a point to thank them regularly for watching our boat. Even brought one of them a bunch of freshly caught Dungenous crab. For all the complaints about live aboards, no one thanks them for the silent efforts they offer by watching our boats!! I tell ya, I MUCH PREFER having live aboards around my boat than not. They discourage theft and watch things when I'm not there. Yes there are a few that have boats that look NASTY however that is not the norm. I also believe that is a different situation. Instead of getting rid of liveaboards, maybe set a standard for boats and the boats condition.

OK, off my soap box! Sorry for the none sequitar turn there . . .

Scott
sbleeke

disaster averted

Post by sbleeke »

Hey Jeffrey, where are you sailing. I was out on Brookville Lake in Indiana that day and it was my first solo and first day with good wind. Had a nice sail.
Chrysler 26 1979
Sweet Silence
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

Hi Sbleke
We are docked at Hoover Reservoir just north of columbus in Westerville.
Sometimes we take it to Rocky Fork just east of Hillsboro and we also sail at Albemarle sound in NC.
RonC sails his C-26 at Alum Creek just N of Columbus.
We all need to get together someday and have a Midwest regatta!! :)
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

ronc98 wrote:
As I was launching my C-26 there was a C-22 pulling out. These boats are all over the place!
not on the east end of LI, NY! I am so glad FranS stays in touch on this forum.... and Lecker (catskills) is active....
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343