antenna and other misc. electrical

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mariner

antenna and other misc. electrical

Post by mariner »

Hi guys, I have resolved to refit the "annemarie" with a new electrical system add a stereo and vhf (i now have a handheld) I was wondering if anyone could share with me how they mounted a vhf antenna, how did you go "through the deck" pics? (are there any "quick connects" available - recommended sources/manufacturers) also how did you deal with an antenna for a radio ? not having any lights is killing my sailing time! and my power system is shot as well as looks like it was patched together with old electrical cords etc. Thanks for the help in advance!
:?:
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
monty

Post by monty »

best way through the deck (IMHO) is to use a bulkhead connector. That's the one that is female both ends with locking nuts on both sides to hold it in. Drill and epoxy an oversize hole first, then drill to connector size through the epoxy. Seal with 3M - absolutely leakproof and strong - no damaged RG when dropping the mast. For the antenna just buy the Shakespeare frequency splitter and use one antenna.
mariner

thanks one more question

Post by mariner »

Thanks, do you have any suggestions on where to get these? how do you deal with power for mast head light ? are there any combo connector ? photos appreciated. :lol:
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

For EE's mastlight I used this, look for Perko "Watertight Deck Connections" here

http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/full.asp ... odId=13554

And the antenna feed thu is here

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... 10001/9652
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I just went through all this....

Firstly, going through the deck... you have two choices... through the mast step or through he deck... I did what was mentioned above... a through deck fitting does not leak but you have the RG comming out near the bottom of the mast and then terminated and then into this through deck fitting.

Pulling the wire... with the mast horizontal....first use ONLY RG-8X ( lowest gain loss).. I chose NOT to use a splitter or multiple frequency antenna.. the gain loss on these is enormous. I drilled a 1/2 hole near the top of the mast and one near the bottom..... I bought a very very cheap 50' wire fish on line and fed it along the mast... it reached the foot NP and then I very carfully wrapped the RG to the fish tape end with electrical tape so it was strong and smooth and pulled.... the whole thing took me barely minute... I then used quick connectors ( PL-225 Or something like that) and you DO HAVE TO SOLDER THEM... it was EZ.. I mounted my new shakespere antenna with the bracket it came with to the starboard side of the mast a few inches below the masthead.. BE VERY CAREFUL YOU STAY FREE AND CLEAR OF THE HALYARDS AND THE WINDEX IF ANY, You can pull wires for a Masthead light at the same time if you want.... I did a lot of reaserch and they say you should intall a condiut etc.etc.. and also do internal halyards and all that... WAY too much hard work but maybe I will do all that in the future.... but you really would want to redo your whole mast at that point ... new masthead with rope sheaves, internal halyards, wire conduit, masthead anchor light etc. Also you must put in grommets to protect the RG in the mast and I also used a dab or two of silcone.. this is impt.

I have a steamer light halfway up the mast.. and I will replace it with fresh wires and on that has a combo deck light...and I think I might look at a spreader light , I had one on the J-30 and loved it...
Last edited by NYCSAILOR on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

I used fittings I got from Catalina Direct on line. For the coax I used a fitting that does not require that you cut your coax, it will pass through the connector and all, and is water tight. For the mast lights, they had a very handy four prong water tight connector. One ground, anchor light, steaming light, and deck light. Just go to their site and look around and you will find the parts. For the stereo I used an internal antenna I picked up at West Marine and ran it inside the flexible conduit I ran my speaker wires and some other wires in. All seem to work fine so far.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
mariner

Thank You

Post by mariner »

As always thank you for the help, love the Catalina Direct web site, boy I wish there was one for Chryslers! :lol: please post any other good parts sites that you have found! thanks
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

May seem obvious, but put the hole(s) aft or somewhat aft of the mast, or they 'll snag your foresail lines and cause more wear on both line and coax...

Now don't ask me how I know that! :?

Billy
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

Yes you would think that would be obvious, but the person who originally installed the mast lights on Catch-22 was capable of ignoring the obvious. I added a couple of layers of shrink wrap to all wires and coax where they left the mast to help offset the wear and tear from the foresail and jib sheets. I am not sure how well I like this solution but so far so good. I do see having to change it in the future.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Count me in, EE's came the same way, the coax and mast light fittings are in front of the mast where the genny and the jib sheet enjoy beating them every so often.
mariner

Am-Fm VHF Splitter

Post by mariner »

I was planing on using a Shakespeare Am-Fm VHF Splitter, anyone have any experience with this, sound like this is not a good way to go? please explain?
thanks
:wink:
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
monty

Post by monty »

I used one on my last boat and it worked great.

Excessive signal loss by this unit was mentioned above, but I used mine on Lake Superior and never had a problem with signal strength.

Sure is nice being able to use one antenna and lead wire!
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I had a cable guy once explain to me that not all splitters are created equally. Some expensive splitters are horrible, some cheap ones are excellent. He told me only to use splitters that could handle 1000 MHz or better. Cable is the same as an antenna cable right?

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

OH BOY! my boat came (PO or OEM, or dealer) with the connections in front of the mast too!

I would not use a splitter just for am/fm..... the VHF is a impt. safefy communication item... and when I learned the db loss on all this stuff, I got serious... just up the mast you loose about 50% maybe more... also be sure and use RG-8X ( has the least loss for long cable runs like up the mast...) then you have the connections, the through deck ( if it involves connectors) etc... you loose alot quickly...be sure and put a grommet and some silicone where the cable passes through the mast ... the chafing of that alum cut edge will go through the cable very quick...
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Nevermind. :roll:
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com