Factory C22 halyard size

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
trev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Factory C22 halyard size

Post by trev »

Does anyone know what the original halyard size was or what is a good size. Right now the boat has 1/2" and there is just a knot tied to the wire shackle. This set up created problems while raising the main because of the giant knot on the jib halyard catching on everything.

I want to buy the correct size with an eye splice on the end to connect to the wire when ordering the blocks to run everything aft.

I also am planning on running a jib downhaul aft, what size line is recommended for this?

Thanks.
77 C25
Myasis Dragon
http://www.svmyasisdragon.com
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

Can't swear to it but think the 1/2" halyards are what came on it. If you were to check the Chryslersailing Association site you can look at the original equipment list to make sure. I recently rigged a downhaul on my jib and used 3/16" line run to the cockpit down the starboard side. So far the downhaul has worked just fine and I am seriously considering rigging a lazyjack system with the same size line.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

trev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trev »

It could be me but I don't see a size listed on the parts list, just the length. 1/2" seems a little large with todays rope. I think I will use a good 3/8".
Thanks
77 C25
Myasis Dragon
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sorry,
I forgot to mention,
One of my boats has 1/2 inch. To big for me.
I put 3/8 on the other and I like it much better.

Scott
trev
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by trev »

Thanks, I thought the 1/2" was to big also so I figured I am going to replace it I might as well size it for me.
77 C25
Myasis Dragon
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I replaced my main halyard with this....

http://www.usrigging.com/halyard.html

I purchased th H-430-1030 model... it is fine... I thought the 1040 might be either too much rope or too much wire... I could have cut it to make it shorter but why pay more for someting you are not going to use...

the 30 feet with the 3/8th rope is great... I went to lowes and bought a reasonable swagging tool and did it myself... when the yard saw that I did it myself.. they bithced big time that it was wrong.. facing the wrong way, needs to be replaced AFU'd etc. when I actually went to the boat after they stepped the mast, it was fine... they must have been on drugs!.

bought it at defender marine I think.

works great ( I stayed with wire-to-rope) for now as I did not want to redo my mast-head which I am thinking I might actually do sooner that I planned..

I will have to replace the jib halyard soon too....

Only thing I will redo is since this was my first swagging... I put in two swags for safety, nice but it does not permit the mainsail to go all the way to the top, kinda acts as a stopper about a inch from the top... no biggie as I am not racing.. but it is an ez fix.
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
Gus

Post by Gus »

1/2 its what I use to anchor! :shock:
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I can't imagine anything more than a 1/8th steel wire making it through those sheeves.
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343