HELP CABLE BROKE FROM KEEL

Post All Keel Topics Here
javelin

HELP CABLE BROKE FROM KEEL

Post by javelin »

Okay, this is what happened. Sailed over some unmarked rock, keel lifted and then slammed down, snapping the cable. Here is what I need to know: 1. the cable broke about a foot from the end of the winch---- can I rethread the remaining cable and reattach to the winch ( in other words, was the original cable long enough that I can afford to lose about a foot)? 2. If I have to replace the cable, how long is it and what gauge
3. The keel, when it slammed down, may be stuck. Is there a trick to freeing it ?

I am arranging for a haulout to do this work, hopefully tomorrow, Wednesday July 15
Any help REALLY appreciated. Russell
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I'd replace it. It may have been overstressed somewhere else as well. If doing it on the hard you'll need about the bottom of the keel pocket to be between 30 and 36" from the ground.

As far as getting the kell raised see a topic on Jeff's site is here:
http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/sail_swingkeel.html

My nasty pics are here for a look at how much clearance you need.
http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep= ... 305424&ck=

If you search the forum for "keel" and "cable" ( and choose the "search for all terms") option you'll find a few threads on replacing it in the water.
FranS

Post by FranS »

Sorry I can't answer you specific questions about gauge and length. Our cable wrapped around the wince from top to bottom twice . I would be a little concerned about having punched a hole in the kel trunk, that happened to us when the cable gave way.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Forgot to ask - C26 or C22 ? My answers were C26-ish. If not, then the lengths and diameter on the links I added won't help much
javelin

Post by javelin »

Thanks. I printed Jeff's page on how to replace the cable. It is very exacting. When up on the travel lift, I will inspect for further damage. I JUST HOPE THERE ISN'T ANY !!!!!