Sunk C22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sunk C22

Post by CaptainScott »

Well, I can't believe it.

Our slip became open in the Everett Marina.

For some stupid reason we opted to launch the blue 22 instead of our regular white one. This was the first time on the water for us and this boat.

Check your Chrysler claimed floatation.

We launched and all was well. I parked the Explorer while my bride watched the boat. In our excitement I gather we failed to see the weak spot in the tiller post area.

The new outboard ran great and off we went. A simple 1/2 mile run to our slip. A generous powerboat opted to go by giving us a wake we could surf on. Seeing the wake a bit late, I moved the tiller hard to starboard and something gave way. I could feel it in the tiller. A fewl gentle swings to starboard and port proved we still has stearing. Hmm. Well, we don't have far so we continued. Soon after the boat was noticable sluggish to respond and the next thing I realize is we are flooding with water. Yes we dawned life jackets. I raised the Port of Everett on my portable VHF which I carry on EVERY BOAT. Even if I go in yours I bring it. I digress . . Well, As we took on water, it became very apparent that we were not going to be able to stay aboard for long. A boat at guest moorage heard our hail to the Port and sent a 16 year old kid in a dinghy to offer assistance. By the time he arrived, we were at least 2/3rd full of water. It was even comming in the holes in the back. We boarded the dingy with all our papers and such and attatched a tow line. We managed about 300 feet and our C22 was litterally to full to tow with a dingy and showd no signs of having any floatation. We hailed vessal assist who arrived very quickly. Guess they were montoring us and watching. They said the boat was to far gone to hook up to and to let it go. A salvage crew would need to be called. OMG. She was actually going down. We saw the sheen in the water as she went down. Guess the vent in the fuel tank also works a fuel release when under pressure. So far in less than twenty for hours we've rung up 5K in fines for spillage in a natural waterway. We have not even begun to see bills from vessal assist or the salvage team. At least the kid was kind enough to round up our various items that floated down river. We saved the cockpit cushions and three of four fenders and one bin board. It almost brings tears to my eyes writting this for you all to read but I figure we can all learn from this here on the first day of the fourth month in the year two thousand and nine.

Scott
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Man, my worst nightmare sailing trip..............
FranS

Post by FranS »

Not funny Capt. I was actually reading through with a look of stricken horror on my face.... until I got to the last line.

Happy April 1 !!!!!
parared

Post by parared »

You @%&#%#%#, you had me getting scared about my own virgin trip coming in a month or so!!!!!!

( good job :) )
somers12

Post by somers12 »

Scared the crap out of me too.

Steve

Carl_IN_TX

Ouch

Post by Carl_IN_TX »

Captain Scott, you are a heartless and mean man!

Carl
78 C22 "Trekker"
FranS

Post by FranS »

I got suspicious only because our 22 did fill with water to the table top level and into the cockpit and she stayed afloat to be towed 1/4 mile from the mooring to the beach. That was 2 weeks after we put her in the water for the first time. Made us very popular around our marina :-)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I'm so sorry!

I forgot to mention. . . . .

The tears were from laughter as I wrote that!!!! :lol:
Happy April 1 everybody!
Guess you know know who I REALLY am!

No we did not sink a boat.
Yes a slip is available for me but we will not likely launch Lady Jo until this weekend.

Scott

PS: You have to admit . . . . you were hoooked . . . . . heh heh heh!!
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Capt. Scott, you dawg...we were heading out on " Nauti One" our daughters new 24' for a sunset sail, wait; got to check email and my sailing sites....you dawg you, the girls were ready to cry as I read your STORY. Now I will be late getting in and half lit on Mojitos, and when I come in late on the sea breeze I have been know to bump the seawall,
you dawg....happy April Fools Day, send some cool air hot today. 8) KS
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Scott you weaselly old pirate !

I like you more and more.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Scott that was a good one. you had me going too.
Have a good one I can't use that one.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Nice!
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

Good one. You had me going but I kept thinking Capt Scott would check things out better before that first sail.

FranS- I hope it never happens to me but it is good to know they do float full of water.
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

got me, too
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
www.ndipolygraphservices.com
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Heh heh heh!

My wife agrees with most of you! Guess that was kinda mean!! LOL!
I'm still snickering though!

Funny though, I left one intentional clue in the story intentionally so that folks could pick up on the joke. Now this clue is NOT the date at the end. I purposely wrote the date that way in an attempt to hide April one.

I also tried hard to convey the fact that the C22 had no floatation in an attempt to get around the "Boat Floats" idea.

I'm very interested if anyone picked up on one thing I "supposedly" did that was very very wrong in the story. Well, there were two but who's counting . . .

Sorry if I caused anyone premature heart failure but ya gotta understand . . . . you guys let me in here! heh heh heh!

Captain Scott
PS:
There always is an open invitation to come on up and visit! Billy and Alan have already come by!
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

I thought it was strange that you didn't check further when "something gave way" and I thought you were crazy when you tried to haul a sinking boat with a dinghy.
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I will reply tomorrow to allow more folks a chance to respond if they want to.

Scott
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

I read this on April 2nd,,,

slipped my mine about the 1st,, I was sittin here readin... thinkin no way is it gonna sink,,, I was stunned,,,, and thanks to FranS it was a total relief to realize you are full of caca poopoo
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

I read this the morning of the 3rd, and must admit you are the only one that got me this year. Good one, a definate A in creative writing.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey Mike,

That blunder of hooking a sinking boat to a dinghy was actually a blunder in the writing. I did not realize the mistake until after several had read my post so I left it. Figured if I change it I would get called out but Fran got me soon enough! Good job Fran!

The fact I did not check further after a thump, crack, or whatever, simply slipped me. Here we have TONS of crap in the water. hitting something at slow speeds is common if you are not extremely diligent so I did not even think much of that.

OK, the intentional blunder I was hoping would be brought out:
When aboard a vessal in serious distress one should immediately notify the Coast Guard. NOT the Port of Everett. Had we actually had a problem there is literally nothing the Port can do but relay a message. The Coast Guard at a minimum would have required regular checkins, confirmed all passengers had life vests, got a list of all passengers and approx ages, boat name, numbers, and description etc.

The Coast guard would have notified vessal assist for me or maximum have sent a crew to rescue me.

Well, to all that have read my post I hope I did not cause you to much heart burn! I appreciate the kind comments and the jabs! LOL!

I also love to see the forum come alive and to see all the folks out there legitimately concerned and actively putting in their comments.

KS, Apologize to your wife and daughter for me! ( do it with a smile though 8) )

Thank you all!!

Scott