Kenyon K-1374 Hinged Mastplate Assembly

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Carl_IN_TX

Kenyon K-1374 Hinged Mastplate Assembly

Post by Carl_IN_TX »

This is a question for Scott or anyone who has installed the hinged Kenyon mastplate on a C22. How does the new plate attach to the bottom of the mast? The RigRite site mentions two 5/16 inch bolts and special compression spacer nuts. How do those hold the plate onto the mast? Sorry to be dense!

Thanks,
Carl
78 C22 "Trekker"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I predrilled holes and used coarse threaded screws. Very carefully screwed in one turn and back 1/2 turn then in one more turn and back 1/2 turn until the screws were all the way in.

Scott
Carl_IN_TX

OK Now I See

Post by Carl_IN_TX »

For some reason I thought the old part of the mast base that is pop riveted onto the bottom of the mast had to come off first. If I understand right you leave the old part on and screw the new upper part of the masthead assembly onto it.

Thanks,
Carl
78 C22 "Trekker"
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I would use four 2" x 1/4 to 3/8 SS machine screws tapped into the original base. Be sure to use something to prevent electrolysis between the dissimilar metals. I will being doing this in the near future myself when i get the time and money :)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OK Now I See

Post by CaptainScott »

Carl_IN_TX wrote:For some reason I thought the old part of the mast base that is pop riveted onto the bottom of the mast had to come off first. If I understand right you leave the old part on and screw the new upper part of the masthead assembly onto it.

Thanks,
Carl

You are correct, I do not remove the base of the mast prior to install.
All I did was to very carefully align the hinge, predrill new holes through the hinge and the base of the mast, and slowly tap the screw in. Use caution when putting the screws in. If you get over zellas and do not back the screw out regularly, you make break the screw off at the head!

Bet you can't guess how I know that! :)
Scott
FranS

Post by FranS »

Thanks again for a hard earned tip :-)