Where'd the rudder line go ?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Where'd the rudder line go ?

Post by EmergencyExit »

Here's a new one - motored out of my slip yesterday to another dock to load up the crew, and when I when to leave was unable to get my outboard to run in gear. Turns out it had my "up" rudder line wrapped around the prop. It must have fallen down the post somehow. Geez. Who'd a' thunk that !

I didn't notice it because the rudder was already down so I didn't have reason to look at the lines.

So, you are "advised" - tie or cleat them both if they are separate lines, or wrap them if its a loop.
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

I replaced the rudder line on my boat using 12 feet of 3/8 inch line. First I put the line under the tiller and then feed both ends of line through the rudder post and fixed it to the rudder, and with the rudder down the up line will not hand lose, or fall through the rudder post.
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Guess I'll go for one more swim this season, attach the line to a thin metal rod, dive and push it up the rudder post and have someone onbaord to pull it back up.

Or I may say forget it, I never need the "up" one anyway, if I uncleat the down line the rudder pops up quite readily.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

How about a figure 8 knot on each one as a stopper knot?
That is what I have done.

Scott
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

The only time I use my up line is when we pull the boat out, and once in the parking lot I put a clives pin in a hole that has been drilled thru the metal and rutter so when I am driving down road the line will not come lose and grind down the rudder
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

I learned the hard way too!
Going down the highway I had my rudder tied up w/ a line between the 2 tiedown hooks on the transom. From the bouncing it ended up sliding off and the rudder is now grinding down the freeway. A friendly driver pulled up next to me and got me to pull over. Wow! That was a close one.
I now take both rudder lines after I cleat it and do 3 wraps around the tilller, just to be safe. And I still tie it up when on the trailer.
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Since my rudder shaft is solid SS I don't have ropes to worry about but I do have a small hole that I pass a rope through to hold the rudder up when it is on the trailer, I also use this hole with a pole to push it down after I get it in the water. Amazingly the friction alone keeps it down, I know this because I often forget to raise it and drag it on the ground coming up the ramp. :roll:
lecker68

Rudder line

Post by lecker68 »

I can sympathize EE as I was repairing broken rudder line and on trailer silly me I pulled the line and it seemed jambed and gave it a tug and after that I found a pin across the rudder tube. after that I had to replace it. then I got the rudder too tight and had to move it with my boat hook.
That is already cured and since I have a helm I mounted a cleat to the top
of the tube(will test in spring). 12 inches of snow and counting.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/