Battery Chargers

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Battery Chargers

Post by EmergencyExit »

In the market for one to charge the deep cycle attached to my inverter and cabin/nav lights - would appreciate hearing what you guys are using. We don't have shore power on the dock, but I'll probably remove the battery after any overnighters and leave it in the club storeroom to charge, then put it back on board next time I'm over there, etc.

Thanks !
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I use a "battery tender" to maintain batteries that get little use. That works perfect! Make sure you get a charger that can step down as the battery is fully charged.

Car, motorcycle, and boat batteries can be left for long periods. Usually around 35 bucks but can be had cheaper if you shop and wait for sales.

Hope that helps!
Scott
Last edited by CaptainScott on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thepartydog

Schumacher ship'n shore

Post by thepartydog »

We use a Schumacher ship'n shore charger. It's fast, safe and inexpensive (walmart). The downside is that when you are charging, there is noise on the circuit. It's a 15/10/2 amp charger.

Darin
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
Windward

Post by Windward »

Since you're not going to hard mount it, you might consider something like the Black&Decker 15/10/2 SmartCharger. http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGu ... ctID=15578

It's multi-stage, and offers settings for wet/agm/gel. Besides being portable and much less expensive then marine units it can both desulfate and equalize as well. I have one that I use to condition the batteries a few times a year, and to keep 'em on charge if I ever bring 'em home.

Could go with a higher charge rate, like a 25 amp, if you want to get a quick charge, but it's around $80 instead of around $50, and since acceptance rate drops after the first you wouldn't necessarily see a full charge in 60% of the time unless you have an AGM battery, which can accept a higher charge rate for longer.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Thanks to all, am going to do some research (i.e. read the side of the boxes) on the way home today.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I am insatalling a solar charger SE500 from West Marine at present time I am not using an inverter but at some point. I found wind generators as well but cost is about 10 times and output is not much more.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/