If all goes well . . . .

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

If all goes well . . . .

Post by CaptainScott »

I hope to step the mast on my 1976 C22 for the first time tonight!

I spent an hour yesterday putting in all the clevis pins, checking the shrouds, and checking the stays. This mast is not hinged like the 75 is. It is however slid back and in place ready to go up as soon as my neighbors come home and can help.

I will not be using the single man method yet.

If anyone would like any particular photos, let me know now! I can not take photos from OFF the boat since I'll be on the boat lifting the mast and watching things go up!

Scott
FranS

Post by FranS »

Can't wait for a report, remeber the bunge idea around the bottom of the mast!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Thanks for the reminder and the support!

Scott
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Dang.

Well, tonight was a bust. Got the blue hull ready for the mast and had a couple of neighbors over for the lifting of the mast! The mast hanging over the stern of the boat also went over my shed on the side of the house. I gave each neighbor a halyard and instructions. I then got on the roof of my shed and lifted the mast far higher than I could have hoped for!
One of my neighbors failed to pull evenly with the other and the mast immediately shot to starboard. I tried to correct the swing with the aft stay but it was to late. Both neighbors pannicked immediately set the mast back down. Normall not an issue but the 76 is next to my house.
As the mast came down the starboard spreader caught my gutters on my house and the spreader snapped of the mast! All this in about 30 seconds! Well, needless to say the mast did not go up and I'm in need of repairs. No damage to the hosue or gutters though.

All that and I'm thinking I'm lucky the spreader support broke now and not while sailing! My neighbors feel bad even though I've told them I asked them for a favor and there is no reason for them for feeling bad for helping.

Next step. I need that piece that bolts to the mast and has a pin for the spreader to slide on. It appears to be very cheap pot metal and corrided to boot.

Anyone aware of a replacement part for this item? I presume I need two since the first was so bad.

I'll post pictures to my site in the AM however there is not much to see. Just a boat with a stick pointing the wrong direction. Dang. I'm disappointed. Oh well.

Scott
Windward

Try here

Post by Windward »

Don't recall exact spreader / shroud config on the 22, but when I reworked yWindward's mast I get spreader brackets here from Dwyer Mast (check style "D" if you have double lowers).

http://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1 ... 28Round%29

You can probably get spreaders there, too, although www.onlinemetals.com probably has aluminum tubing that will fill the bill.

There is, or should be, a compression tube inside the mast between the spreader brackets. When you remove the bolt, be careful not to lose it in the mast. You SHOULD be able to back off the nut, remove one bracket, then put a new, fresh 3/8" bolt in it and insert it as the old one is removed. Nut's then on the other side, but you don't lose the tube. If your mast does not have a compression tube there, put one in before you bolt everything back up.

I can raise and lower Windward's mast myself using the bridles and gin pole, but there is the hook on the step. Haven't seen the base and step on the 22, but if you're going to do this much perhaps you could get one fabbed and welded on the step... really shouldn't cost much, and a real saver.

Good luck!
FranS

Post by FranS »

We replaced that piece with what I think was a flag pole socket with a rectangular base, obtained at west marine. Drilled a hole through it and the spreader and threaded a screw and nut. The bracket was attached to the mast with four screws. Guy at West came up with the idea. Three seasons and not a single problem It was quick and cheap!
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Great detailer resource again Fran! Thanks for all the help keeping us on the water....
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Billy had a resource listed down about post 14 on this thread as well, same source as Windward's I think tho

viewtopic.php?t=526&highlight=spreaders
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Did you use the bridle from your other boat? You are a braver man than I if you tried it without one because there is absolutely no stability in the original C-22 mast step.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Thanks for all the info guys, I certainly appreciate it.

And yes, I did the attempt without the bridles. I'm certain the bridles would have eliminated the problem. I also have now looked closely at the mast step on the 75 with the hinge. That appears to be non standard. I already have emails out to the original owner asking if he made the change. If so, where did the hinge come from. It looks like a very easy change and I think I'd like to make that change at the same time I fix the spreaders.

Again thanks!
Now off to follow those links!!

Scott
FranS

Post by FranS »

You're welcome. My husband is the master of the Rub Goldberg solution,
especailly when it comes to saving money!

I wish you would have mentioned that you were attempting to raise without the bridels. We did the same twice... slow learners I know. Also in the driveway. Just me him and my 14 year old step daughter. Well both times the mast started to swing wildly, alomost through a house window and we snapped the hook, and it came crashing down. Missed the Step daughter by inches. Yikes! We found a guy who welded the hook back together for us. In retrospect we should have asked him to fashion us a new one out of Stainless, but again we were trying to save $$. He wanted $75 for the weld and 300 for the new stainless model. The weld is holding fine but we had to grind it down a bit to make it fit.

Rig the bridles and you will have no problem. :-)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

LOL! Glad to hear it was not just us!

I will indeed use the bridle! If I go that far, then I can step the mast alone. Won't have to scare my neighbors again!

Lesson Learned!!!!

Scott
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

You can probably find the step at many places but I have seen them here http://www.dwyermast.com/default.asp it is just a matter of finding the right one.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I tried to raise mine once without the bridels. Ya that was fun. It popped the female part of the mast finger right off the bottom of the mast. When it came crashing down it missed my truck parked behind the boat by inches.

Fun times
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Well, for what it's worth, I've taken all the comments here in this post to heart. I will not be attempting to step the mast again on the 76 until my new mast step hinge arrives. I found one just like what is on my 75 here

http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/Mast_hinges.html
Part K-1374

If anyone here has interest, let me know and I can photgraph and document the installation. Unfortuantely the place has the warehouse closed for a week so I will not see my part for two weeks.

Guess this gives me time to fix the spreader! LOL!

Scott
[/url]
FranS

Post by FranS »

69Shark wrote: If anyone here has interest, let me know and I can photgraph and document the installation. Unfortuantely the place has the warehouse closed for a week so I will not see my part for two weeks.

Guess this gives me time to fix the spreader! LOL!

Scott
[/url]
that would be great, thanks
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

OK! I will!
Scott
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

part # 1374 is exactly what is onthe Hunter 22...which is two slips over from me and the old guya nd a helper put taht mast up/down easily...BUT the hunter 22 mast seems much lighter and thinner than the c-22, but you can use thoese pins on the step as a hinge in either direction