Harvest moon

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Harvest moon

Post by Banshi »

Well in two weeks I am going to attempt my first night sail and take in the full harvest moon. Anyone here have any advice on night sailing the full moon.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

The only advice I can give you is enjoy it. It is simply amazing. The harvest moon will be almost like sailing during dusk or dawn.
dennis knudson

Post by dennis knudson »

Enjoy the sail. My most enjoysble moments sailing were under the fulll moon on Lake vermillion in NE minnesota. One other time was also at night under a brilliant display of northern lights on Lake Superior. Keep a good watch, not everybody is paying attention.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Excellent, in the current issue of SAIL magazine they stress that one of the things to dobefore you haul out for the season is to do a night sail... they give advice onthis as well

If I had any advice it would to avoid night blindness...it is amazing at how a cabin light can simply blind you at night...use those red chart lights or keep those cabin or white lights away from teh cockpit/skipper.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I had a amazing night sail last night. Not alot of wind but enogh get get me up and down the lake at 5 knots on a beam reach. The moon and the stars were amazing. You could hear nothing but the ripples of the water and the splash from fish jumping out of the water.

It was amazing until I felt a very bad shudder and the boat shots towards port. I am not sure what I hit but I am now the proud owner of three huge gouges in my nice new awlgriped freeboard.

I am going back up this evening to get some more sailing in. It seems to be getting cold her fast so not much time left for sailing. If I am lucky I can get matching gouges in the starboard side.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Could have been a yellow submarine running shallow you hit ! :wink:
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Sounds like fun, we have the added thrill of dodging crab pots here at night. Many are so covered with slime you can't see them at all until you here a thump.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

What ever it was it was sharp because each gouge is 1/4 deep and about 12inches long. If it they were 2" lower I could have just fixed them and repainted the boot strip instead of the whole free board.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Make sure your running lights work first.Steaming light is not required however I'd make it work too.

Carry a bright flashlight to light up you sails should another boat head your way. You must be seen or the likelyhood of an accident increases dramatically!

ENJOY!

Scott
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

If you use your motor then a light on the mast is required. It is supposed to be off when under sail only though.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Banshi wrote:If you use your motor then a light on the mast is required. It is supposed to be off when under sail only though.
Correct and thanks for clarifying!!
:)
Scott
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Very nice!!

Love the full moon sail! Enjoy and all good advice here,, I'd also say to plan on spending the night :D

Billy
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Going again this Friday and have finally convinced the Admiral to stay the night :)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sounds like a nice time to be had by all!
Scott