New C22 Owner

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jeff88ix

New C22 Owner

Post by jeff88ix »

I had been considering purchasing a boat for the last several years, but due to time constraints I kept talking myself out of it. Anyway I came across a C22 that I felt was in reasonable condition, and at a price I could justify considering I did not know how much time I would have to use it.

The boat does needsome TLC, a good buffing and repairing some loose stansions that leak, as well as a possible leaking keel pin. My big concern is a most unusual list to starboard that I suspect is water hiding somewhere on the starboard side, possibly under the the starboard setee?

Has anyone else ever had or heard of this problem? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Welcome to the group, this leaning to starboard is common and can be caused by several things the least of which is the sliding kitchen if you have one. A mast that is not plumb can also add to this as well as storing to much on one side. It could be water soaked flotation as well. Some others on this board have chased the issue with some success they may be able to add some insight into the issue. Your biggest task though will be the swing keel pivots. Taking them off and redoing the caulking is going to be the only way to correct it. Depending on what condition they are in Trey may still be able to get a whole new SS assembly including the bolts (look in the fore sale section). Mine were in sad shape as was the keel so I ended up replacing the pivots and refurbishing the keel.

Here is a link to some of the work I have done...........
http://www.byershome.net/_Boat/Boat.htm
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Howdy Jeff an Welcome!

So did you buy the boat?

I've seen posts in the past concerning a list and speculation to it's causes. On my 22 the sette is on the port side, and starboard side has a sliding galley with foam flotation injected into the mold under the "bench" from the cockpit to the bulkhead. It can act like a large sponge if you have leaks into the area. The "silver buttons" along the top area are easily popped off. Then you may need to dig into the foam with a long narrow tool to see if it's wet down lower. If so you need to decide how to drain it and let it dry. The foam should be sealed all the way around by fiberglass, but it's an easy place to check and can stow plenty of water.

The sliding galley is also quite heavy, I just pulled mine out and make do easily w/o it. Other things can be batteries, motor, and anything else heavy that can affect trim. It doesn'take too much.

Dropping and doing a keel bolt job can be a pain. The keel pin is held by 2 aluminum brackets. Mine cleaned up ok and after resealing haven't leaked at all in 2 years. I have some picts on my website that you may want to check out for referance.

Good luck!
Billy
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard, Jeff !
jeff88ix

Post by jeff88ix »

Thanks everybody,

I do not have the sliding galley, that area is just a bench w/cushions. I would have thought that the floatation foam would have been closed cell so it would not absorb water. Is that area closed and sealed to the hull that it could possibly hold water? Or is ther a void between the hull and interior glass throughout the boat that could collect water? I would be real intersted in any available structural or engineering type drawings.

Thanks
Jeff
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hey Jeff,

That area is really hard to see. I would consider the other aspects of trim before getting to concerned with water in that foam. Most folks get it leveled out by moving the batteries or water tank etc....

If there is an opening it would be between the inner molded form and the hull,,, and the only place to see it would be by looking from the starboard keel bracket opening and it's really tight and curves... as far as the closed cell foam it's possible, but the foam I exposed was by the transom. It was very brittle, cracked, and moldy almost an inch into the foam. There's a couple picts of it on my website on a flickr slide show.

My 22 was on the hard for 2 yrs while I redid it, and it had time to dry out. I did remove all the silver buttons that would be under your cushions on that side, all of which were rusted,, and I considered drilling some drain holes along the sole to see if water would drain but never actuall did that... Just something to consider if you had water sitting inside the cabin for any length of time. Mine had water marks almost a foot high like a bath tub ring and when I removed the keel brackets it dripped water out for almost a month. I also had a lot of blisters,, go figure :roll:

Billy
jeff88ix

Post by jeff88ix »

Billy,

I was out at farm (where I'm storing the boat) today to grab the sails and cushions and store them in my basement.

I am now pretty certain there is alot of water inside the starboard benches. It was a warmer fall day, and I think the cooler water inside was making the glass sweat about 6" above the floor!

My big question now is, how should I access and drain these areas?

Thanks
Jeff
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Sorry I'm slow responding Jeff,,

Well I guess if it were mine I'd drill a hole in the hull and see what comes out... maybe a 1/4-3/8" in size so it would be easy to fill later. Measure from the centerline to the bottom of the bench and give yourself some room, at the lowest spot you can figure of course. If water does indeed come out maybe a few more, especially if you have freezing temps coming soon. And just to be safe, be carefull drilling if water comes out,, water and electricity ya know..

After and if it drains, you could then also cut/drill an inspection hole on the inside that could be covered and silicone sealed later with one of those round inspection covers, this would really let the air in and you to see inside. Let it dry as long as you can, all winter even,, then plug the holes with epoxy or 5200.

Anyone else have any suggestions???

Billy