Name that wire! [ New C22 Owner ]

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
parared

Name that wire! [ New C22 Owner ]

Post by parared »

Hi all,

I just bought a '79 C22, in really good shape, with the exception of a single broken wire. It runs from the top of the mast, just forward of the back stay. It runs to the aft end of the boom where it meets a line that ties to the boom. Its about 2mm in diameter, and it looks like its there to hold the end of the boom up.

Would any of you smart people know the specs for this wire, so that I could get a replacement? And is it there to hold the boom up? Wouldn't that get in the way of the mainsail?

This is my first sailboat. I'm looking forward to launching it in the spring ( praying that I get a mooring I put in for ) and begging my sailing friends to teach me how to handle her.

Thanks alot,
Chris
FranS

Post by FranS »

Its a topping lift, I would just replace it. We used 1/4 inch running rigging that runs through a small pulley at the mast head. We make it off to one of the bits on the mast. The foot of the main stops well forward of the aft end of the mast so it does not interfer. We tie one end off to a ssmall shakle we attached to the pin which goes through the end of the boom.

Its a great boat to learn on. There's lots of great info here. Welcome.
FranS

Post by FranS »

Ps Have you found this cite http://www.chryslersailing.com/ It has manuels and lots of information
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

The topping lift on our 75 is a line lashed to the backstay! We like it!
Scott
parared

Post by parared »

Thanks for the replies!

Anyone have an idea how long it should be? I'm not sure if what I have left is intact, or if there's a chunk missing.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

"The topping lift on our 75 is a line lashed to the backstay! We like it! "

Ditto on that here, it's just my opinion but an extra line flailing about is a possible source of trouble I'd just assume do without.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard.

I just use a bit of thin 1/8" or 3/16" ( I guess) or so utility line from the cheapie store. Get a 50' roll, tie one end to the mast head, step the mast, hold the boom up high as you want it to be, and tie the other end of line to a snap clip at the right place.

On EE I clip the boom up a bit high in the slip (so I can get out of the cabin without ducking too much) , and when under sail I remove the topping lift and clip it out of the way on the backstay.

I have occassionally forgotten to clip it back when dropping sail with the resultant whang of the boom on the companionway hatch as it freefell.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Welcome aboard!

I use my topping lift in addition to the one to the back stay... Lifts the boom well outta the way when anchored and also to help shape my old and outta shape main in light winds... Mine is set up similiar to FranS with a pulley at the masthead, a cleat on the mast by the cabin top,, then a clip to the boom end so I can remove it easily.

Billy