Newbie Questions

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
shenry11

Newbie Questions

Post by shenry11 »

This summer, I abandoned my building of a Glen-L 14, and purchased a Lone Star 13 at a garage sale. I have had the boat out four times now, and realize that I am such a rookie sailor! I have not sailed in 30 years.

I discovered the hard way that whoever put the axe handle as a tiller might have found that as convenient, or cute, but the lack of reach about caused me to tip the boat. THAT will be changed. I'll use the tiller plans from my Glen-L.

I belive that the boat has the original cotton ropes (sheets). I believe that these are slowing response of the boom, etc., and I plan to change these this winter. Is there one best supplier?

My mainsail does not have telltales on it. I don't know if it used to or not. The former owner tied yarn to the stays, and that helps. I have a sailing book that says that the telltales on the sail are important. Just how important are these?

Finally, is there a way to get past the fear of tipping over the boat without actually tipping over the boat?

Thank you for your help!

Steve Henry
On the central coast in Kansas City
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Don't fear tipping the boat (at least it's not going anywhere).......fear falling overboard and watching it sail away :)
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Don't worry..keep telling yourself that "sailboats are SUPPOSED to sail sideways...." so it is normal....OR you could learn all abou the keel and the mainsail and self rright etc... you could sail all night withthe rail inthe water...
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

It would be my luck that a boat I could not get balanced while on it would suddenly balance perfectly, heading away from shore, with me in the water falling behind fast, curse those infernal laws of physics.....................
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Steve,

Don't own a LS-13, but have something close in the C-15 Man-o-War (except no jib).

#1 - Sounds like you are missing the tiller extension like my boat was when I got it.
You should be able to add an after-market tiller extension to the existing tiller handle to allow you to lean out more.

#2 - Don't fear tipping (unless in shark infested waters :wink: ).
I actually enjoy tipping on occasion to cool off. I also like pushing the limits, so when I tip I know I have pushed too much.

As soon as the mast hits the water you will stop. You know you will not be able to correct just before the mast hits, so at that time prepare to jump into the water between the boat and the boom. MAKE SURE you release the sheet from the cleat if it didn't do it by itself or you will have a hell of a time righting the boat.
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Banshi wrote:It would be my luck that a boat I could not get balanced while on it would suddenly balance perfectly, heading away from shore, with me in the water falling behind fast, curse those infernal laws of physics.....................
Banshi,

How on earth did you fall off the boat? Loose your toe hold or something?
Lee Hoeppner
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Shifty and extremely variable winds while sailing my Sunfish once sent me into the water but I had a death grip on the tiller extension and managed to pull myself back up on the boat. It was actually a sudden drop in wind velocity coupled with a wind shift while I was hiked out to the extreme...........I could not get my weight (all 285 lbs) back into the boat fast enough :)
shenry11

Post by shenry11 »

Thank you all for the very helpful responses! I think that part of the problem is that I am just a very conservative "bean counter". I use a trolling motor with car battery to help me get going the right direction from time to time. I also usually have fishing gear in the boat. I think that part of the problem is a general fear that I'll turn over the boat and have the car battery blow up or something! The bean counter in me also thinks about the cost of all of the items that would be lost in a capsize! Perhaps I ought to just leave all of that on shore?

Thank you again for the assist. Alas! Winter will soon be upon us! I don't know how many more opportunities I'll have to get the boat out this season. I'll do some work on it, and get it out a bunch next year for sure!

Thank you again!

Steve Henry
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

There's a time for fishing and a time for sailing.

If you are out for fishing I would just use one of your sails and don't be in a hurry to get out and back. Maybe just use your motor with the sails down.

If you are out for sailing, then leave your fishing equipment and motor behind and have fun!
Lee Hoeppner