What brand Epoxy Resin do you use?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Leeway

What brand Epoxy Resin do you use?

Post by Leeway »

I'm going to be doing some major repairs to the center board trunk on my C15 Man-o-War and was wondering what brand of Epoxy Resin you all use or recommend.

Also, where do you get it and about how much per quart or gallon?
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Interlux Epiglass and I get it from defender. I also got the pumps so I would not have to measure anything and boy has that made things easier though I think it pumps out to much hardener and have started using it in a two resin to one hardener pump mixture and it still seems to do fine, even sets a little faster now.
thepartydog

Epoxy

Post by thepartydog »

So far for resin, I've used:

Elmers vinyl resin from Lowes. Messy, not very waterproof, and not a good adhesive, but the canoe I built last year using it still floats.
http://www.partydogentertainment.com/canoe/

West Systems #105 Epoxy resin with the #206 Slow hardener. I'll be trying the #205 fast hardener when I get to filling in the scratches on the topsides. From what I can tell, top of the line epoxy. Make sure you get the mixing pumps, they are well worth the $. We also use the #406 colloidal silica as a thickener for filling small holes, fairing (it's a little too hard for this, but...). and making fillets.

I want to try the epoxy from these guys, but I'm in the middle of repairs on "Ya Never Know" and don't wanna switch mid-stream:
http://www.raka.com/
good price, but I don't know from experience how easy it is to work with.

Darin
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
Windward

Go West, young man....

Post by Windward »

I had almost no fiberglass experience when I bought Windward in 2002. I started with West Systems, based on recommendations from two friends, one a whitewater boater and one a rogueish piratey looking sailor. I've had nothing but success with it, and while there are other resin systems, I've never seriously considered changing.

Using the pumps it's easy to measure, gives strong and consistent results and is quite versatile using a variety of thickeners and cloth.

I did use some plain ol' polyester resin to recoat the sliding hatch -- whew! does that stink -- but used West for the structural stuff there, too.

www.sweetcomposites.com used to have some of the best prices on resin, cloth, etc, but I've not compared lately. They're also nice people, easy to work with and quick to ship, and carry a broad variety of cloth.
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Thanks Guys.

I have been told by others that West Systems was the best, but expensive.

Winward, the site you gave appears to have some good pricing indeed.

I will probably be needing a gallon or more, so I will definitely get the pumps.

Regards,
Lee
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973