New C22 owner here!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

New C22 owner here!

Post by CaptainScott »

Well I've been reading and soaking up enough info from this forum I thought I'd better go ahead and join!

Last spring a bought a very nice 1975 C22. Been going over it ever since! Dropped it in the water and promptly broke the cable that lifts the keel! Took me quite a while to get her off the trailer as the keel had dropped down into the trailer! LOL! Must have been a sight! We took her out for the day anyway! Comeing back we took a line over the bow and made like a bridle under the keel. We used the winches to lift the keel as far as I dared to get her back on the trailer. I made two new lift cables. One installed and one spare! LOL! that won't happen again!

Well much to my wife's shagrin, i bought yet a second C22. 1976 this time. I like the new trailer better though! The second one was clearly ignored and neglected for years however appears to be in very reasonble condition. She is missing all running rigging though! I'll be replacing that and cleaning her up so I really look forward to the help from this forum!!

Thanks for any help I'll be recieving in advance!!

Scott
1975 C22
1976 C22
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Welcome to the club, if it's broke someone here has probably fixed it heck we even get out once in a while and go sailing :)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard ! Sent your home page slide show link to my transplanted mate and she was quite homesick !
mga1951

Welcome

Post by mga1951 »

Glad to have you 69shark
I have had my C-22 for 2 seasons now. Wow what a vessel. You will always get compliments on your boat from sailors that know boats.

Had ours out this wknd w/ winds 15-25 and gusts to 35. What a ride. When we turned down wind and raised the 110 jib it was like a drag strip.

Zoom Zoom :)
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I do look forward to learning more about the C22! Hey E-Exit, got your email, and yes. The reference is accurate! That is how you can find me elsewhere!!

Since you've checked my bio and followed the links you already know I'm not new to sailing.In fact my first boat that I owned was a Chrysler Dagger.

These C22's however are a whole different boat. Very nicely built! I hope your mate enjoyed the photos! I presume there are roots to the Pacific Northwest?

Thanks for the welcome and hopefully some shared stories! Yes, I was sailing this evening! Beautiful sunset!!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Yep, she is a transplant down here (Dad from up there, Mom down here) - was there until late teens. The pic with the space needle and Ranier in it really did it.

You'll find plenty of talk and advice on the C22 here, and and everyone will be glad to hear what you have to offer as you go thru yours. Welcome again.

BTW I still have a '63 split window (or a 66 convertible) on my dream list
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Yeah, that is one of my favorite photos. It came out very nicely.

I do have videos of stepping the mast alone on the C22. I used the diagrams on the Chrysler Crew Site and made the bridles. They work great and I can step the mast alone without any real effort. I can easly put the videos on a DVD however need advice as to how to rip them, size them, and change the audio. I presume there is freeware out there that can do the work but I have no idea what it is.

Yes, the 69 was a dream of mine. I had all but given up on the possibility and decided to buy a different year when this one popped up. It was an old race car with no electrical or vacuum systems installed. Interior was shot. I've spent years rebuilding and replacing items. She's an excellent driver that can easily hold her on on the 1/4 mile or a good slolum (sp?) track! I do not race her unless I'm specifically testing changes. Otherwise she gets driven regularly and hits local car shows or cruise ins from time to time.

Needless to say, nowdays I'm broke! LOL!

Scott
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

hey, I missed the address of the home page slide show. Was I asleep? :(
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
www.ndipolygraphservices.com
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Yes you were :wink: probably from too many hot dogs at the Varsity !

It's on his profile page, and is
http://captainscottsailing.com
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

HEY!! I represent that statement!! and thanks for the address!
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
FranS

Post by FranS »

We own your new boat's twin. They clean up pretty good with an application of elbow grease. I would love to hear your tips for single handed mast raising. We also scoped out all the advice on the websites but have always had a problem with the mast swinging and twisting on the way up. We've done it with two, but are more comfortable with a third hand standing by at the mast to decrease the swing and twist.
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

I know this is probably a different post topic, but I purchased a "bi-pod" which was made as a "raising brace" to step the mast. I do it by myself, and the whole thing is self contained and takes up very little space. I bought it from some sailors who make trailers and other assorted sailing stuff.
http://home.att.net/~sail-trailers/mastlift.html
I had them build me a custom trailer and bought the mast stepping bi-pod. GOOD PEOPLE! :D
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

The question I have for the new owner is, "What are you using to wax your boat with?" :?: Looks great after the elbow grease. I became a police officer because I couldn't learn a skill. May need step by step instructions. :lol:
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
FranS

Post by FranS »

I think part of the problem is that the tabernalce is not hinged and the mast tends to rotate on us. We don't trailer the boat, but once at the begining and once at the end of the season. I think we need to look into a better way to hold the mast level before rasing. We no longer have the stern rail so my husband winds up stradling the cock pit seats holding it up and walking under it while I haul on the sheet. We should sell tickets, its a real hoot!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

OK, I see two basic questions for me

1) What did I polish the new boat with
2) Can I provide details on stepping the mast alone on "Lady Jo"

1) The as of yet named new boat is polished with a McQuires Marine rubbing compound for Highly Oxidized Gelcoat. No wax applied yet.
The rubbing compound was applied to an orbital car polishing tool bought from Costco. I used the coarser polishing pad. I apply the compound to the Polisher and then rub the polisher onto the hull prior to turning on to avoid flinging excess compound all over myself. Well, OK, I learned that AFTER i covered myself . . . . twice . . . . ( Slow learner )

I used pretty heavy pressure initially and as the compound dried I used lighter and lighter pressure. Then I had to follow up by hand rubbing off the excess compound.

I attempted to apply the "next step" polishing wax and it SUCKED! Left the hull extremly milky looking no matter what I tried so I stopped. I picked up some polishing wax of another brand. I'll not list it here yet. However initial attempts to polish are looking extremely promising. I have yet to actually do it yet though and I'd hate to share incorrect or bad advice. Thus she sits rubbed out but not waxed yet.

2) If there is a need I can document on my website the steps I use to step my mast. It is not hard however requires a lot of explaination. My best explaination is by using photos arrows on the photos and then some text to follow up.

FYI I use nothing extra with the boat that was not an option with the origional purchase. EG no extra poles as wonderfully described above.

I had to make my own set of bridles. I used the pattern from the original I found online. I also had to make my own pin that holds the base of the boom to the base of the mast. All I did was gat a 7" bolt of the proper diameter of which I have forgotten, and cut the head off and the threaded part off the bolt leaving 3" of I believe 5/8 pin. I used a dremel to cut the bolt and then to round the ends slightly. I made two incase I lost one. I have already lost one. LOL! Dang, you'd think I'd learn!!!

Just let me know and I'll do a detailed write up and post a link to it.

Hmm, I need a new tiller handle . . . I may consider swapping someone a new tiller handle for a set of home made bridles!!! LOL! I could not be responsivble for misuse thoguh!!!!! ;)

Scott
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I have a separate gyn pole that can be easily broken in two and I put a bolt through the pin you lost to keep from loosing it. Of course if you use the boom for the gyn pole you probably can't do it .
FranS

Post by FranS »

Don't feel bad we lost two pins, both into the boom, which required drilling out the riveits because the rattling was making me insane. We slow learners drilled a hole through the pin (also a 5/8's bolt with the head and thread end cut off) and stick a big cotter pin through it to prevent it from falling into the hole in the boom.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

FranS wrote:Don't feel bad we lost two pins, both into the boom, which required drilling out the riveits because the rattling was making me insane. We slow learners drilled a hole through the pin (also a 5/8's bolt with the head and thread end cut off) and stick a big cotter pin through it to prevent it from falling into the hole in the boom.

LOL! Yeah, me feel bad???? heh heh heh! I'm the subject of much conversation many times over! No problem there! I happily provide experience for others!

( read: I make many mistakes for people to see )

I will however steal the cotter pin idea and add it to my 3" pin! Wonderful!
Maybe even a lanyard and a cup hook under the companion way for when it is not in use!

Scott
Scott
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hey Scott welcome aboard!!

I live in the other WA state,, East side in Spokane, hope to sail the sound,, maybe next year,, If ya ever head this way get in touch!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Bhacurly wrote:Hey Scott welcome aboard!!

I live in the other WA state,, East side in Spokane, hope to sail the sound,, maybe next year,, If ya ever head this way get in touch!

Hey Bhacurly,

I'm quite familiar with Eastern Washington! I was born in Wenatchee and grew up in Moses Lake! As a kid I had a Chrysler Dagger there! Spent many hot sunny days on that lake swatting mosquitoes and horse flies! LOL! In fact my old 28' Kent Ranger was purchased from me and taken to Lake Pend Oreille! Her name was Spirit! You may see her if you hit Idaho lakes with your boat! I do plan to drag mine to Moses Lake one day just for giggles and memories!

Same Flies! If you are ever in the Everett area, look me up! I'm pretty easy to find!
'
Scott