Backing Nightmare

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
somers12

Backing Nightmare

Post by somers12 »

FranS

Post by FranS »

We could easily turn this into ramp horro stories thread. We launch and retrive only once a year. At the end of last season some iditot left his car with a small ( jet ski) trailer partially blocking the ramp. We waited as long as we could given the fact that we have to pull the boat at high tide,then moved the trailer but the the car was still in the way ( a Porsche SUV) and required us to back our trailer around it so we couldn't get really good position. As we started to pull our boat out one of the wheels of the trailer just slipped off the ramp into the mud and the whole trailer and boat started to tip. We had to re float the boat ( in very tight quaters) and re position the trailer. It took a lot of manhandling. Just after we pulled off to the side to unstep the mast, Mr. Master of the universe Porsche SUV owner comes back in with his Jet Ski . I had several choice words for him which he just shrugged off. To this day i wish I hadn't let my husband talk me out of keying his car!
somers12

Post by somers12 »

God... what did I start. Been there... done that. (No, I didn't key anybodies car) But, I'm sure you would have, if you found out he was laughing all the way home. Some people can be inconsiderate.

Steve
NoRush

ohhh good topic

Post by NoRush »

Before I started sailing, the wife and I would camp near the boat ramp. Way better than TV.

One day, a husband and wife (I presume) came in through the no wake zone towards the ramp. The husband was berrating his wife all the way to the ramp. She backs the truck and trailer down and the husband attached the boat to the trailer.

As she started to pull forward, he began yelling that she was stupid and had to give it more gas to get up the hill. I think she had finally had enough and she floored it. Truck and trailer went up the hill fine, but the boat stayed in the water...untill the winch cable hit the end and dragged it halfway up the ramp, since he had forgot to lock the winch.

I don't think that guy said another word as he pushed the little boat back into the water to get it reset. I could be wrong because I was laughing pretty hard.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

good a place as any to post this inquiry....

anyone have any idea how much water ( depth) would be needed ata ramp to launch ( float off) a fixed keel c-26 from a trailer? I am rethinking this whole winter storage/travel lift stuff -- in the NYC area it is really INSANEly exp. with lots of restrictions....they won't let me work onthe boat anywhere below the water line...that would include the rudder!!!! they said I could work on the rudder elsewhere if I wanted BUT they had to drop it and remove it at $90/hour labor AND travellift time since they would have to lift the boat up from the cradle to get clearance to drop teh whole rudder assembly...YES I did tell them they could just bust the bolts on teh cheeks and work the blade out without needing any clerance and then dropping the shaft...anyway..youget the idea of what I have to deal with here...thank GOD the thru hull for the sink is ABOVE the water line!
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

in case you haven't seen this site, etc. may find an answer by contacting

http://users.accesscomm.ca/gbabish/trailer.html
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

thanks...

looking around for a trailer that would work at a reasonable price...these are hard to come by.