Electrical System

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mariner

Electrical System

Post by mariner »

I'm thinking that I will do an overhaul on my electrical system, can anyone recommend some resources or good books on the topic? I'm interested in any systems that you have installed and pics if possible. thanks

:shock:
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
mariner

update

Post by mariner »

Ok so I know my post may be a bit "newbee" so I did some research and found a few books on the subject. I did a search on the local library system and actually found that our system owns a lot of books on repairing boats etc. Im waiting for a few to come in and I will post my thoughts! :P
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Great! Let us know if you find something that is a good read, I could do better on EE's wiring - funny I've left really nice wiring at a lot of broadcast facilities and data centers over the years, but I my boat doesn't look like any of them ! Very utilitarian.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I can tell you one thing for sure and that is however many circuits you think you are going to need add a couple of extra when choosing your panel.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hi Gang,,,

I would advise when doing the wiring ya may as well do the mast also. Mine currently is secured at the mastehead for support,,, one thing I really need to do this winter is pull it out again and stop the dang slapping noise it makes! We pull the halyards etc. away from the mast but the wire inside slaps with the slightest movement. It is the biggest hinderance to a good night sleep to my sweety...

I've heard you can place tie wraps on the wire every couple feet, big ones, and leave the tail on them to put pressure against the mast. Any other ideas??

Billy
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

The tip I remember on the tie wraps also included facing the tie wraps ends different directions - if you had one every foot, in a rotating pattern, you would suspend the wires in the middle of the mast.

I also read someone had filled the mast with styro packing peanuts, but that would be a bit much for me.
Windward

Sponges!

Post by Windward »

I pulled several lengths of parachute cord into Windward's mast to use as messenger lines. I left one with about 40' of line extending.

I bought some large, soft sponges, cut them in half then halved the thickness, tied one to the long messenger every 6 feet or so, then pulled the "string of pearls" into the mast. It's a tight enough fit to keep the wires from banging around, but loose enough that I can still pull wire with one of the messengers if necessary.

I'm in fresh water, so not concerned about constant contact between a potentially moist sponge and the mast. Not sure if I'd worry about it in salt or not.