Hi! I'm a new member

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Turtlepirate

Hi! I'm a new member

Post by Turtlepirate »

I'd like to introduce myself, as I bought a 75 Pirateer and am getting it fit for sail. I am thankful for this site, because finding Chrysler boat information is a little challenging.

My intro to sailing was through Roy Bacon. In 1975 or so, my family and childhood friends went for a sail on a C22 on Lake Saint Claire. My mother was a secretary at Chrysler Marine in the 70's, and she really enjoyed working there. She brought home all kinds of cool Chrysler Marine swag, like jackets, patches, igloo coolers and boat models. Occasionally, she would be sent on errands to pick someone up at the airport such as Halsey Herreshoff(she had no idea who he was). She dated Roy for several years, and there were many good memories of sailing, Indian food, and afternoon tea.

Roy had a house on Cass Lake. It seemed to include several pirateers or buccaneers. My mom would go out in a boat, and Roy and I in another. From my recollection, every sail included capsizing. I suspect that this was part of some sort of drill, to test the boats abilities, or he might've done it just for fun.

While people relied on marine radios, Roy didn't use them. Once, while testing a new 26' or 28' model, the rudder blade fell off. So, they went in circles for hours until someone on shore spied them with binoculars, and realized they were in distress.

I will be certain to post some questions, or see if I can post some Chrysler regatta pictures when I get a chance. They often sailed mutineers or buccaneers It was a nice time because sailing was so popular and accessible to everyone.
Anyway, yippee! Let's go for a sail!!

Cheers,

David
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Re: Hi! I'm a new member

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

Very interesting story. Thanks for sharing.
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Hi,
Tried to post a message from WA. But the site kept saying my address was corrupt and would not let me on.
Welcome to the forum.where will you sail ?
Rick, SV Brigadoon
Turtlepirate

Post by Turtlepirate »

I am in Traverse City, Michigan, but will probably move downstate,and so sail on the river or Lake St. Claire or whatever is available. :)