What bodies of water do you sail?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Jeff P

Re: What bodies of water do you sail?

Post by Jeff P »

I think I have a line on a boat slip on Leech Lake in norther MN for next season. I won’t get a for sure answer until fall when the deposits are due for next year.
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

Thanks CaptainScott for the link! Great read on the trip to Cuba and the Bahamas. Seems like the '26 is just stable enough for a resourceful skipper to brave the northern Caribbean.

I'm a few years away from my next boat, which I anticipate will be a 26. Love the fact that it's got both a heavy swing keel and internal ballast - haven't seen any other boats with that nice combination. Just need to save some money both for the boat and a vehicle that can haul her (thinking of a diesel 3.0 Jeep). Also waiting because it's easier to haul around, launch, and rig my Mac25 than a C26, and the time-to-sailing is key in a state with short summers and while I'm still working (approx. 6 more years)

Currently I sail a Mac 25 in Wisconsin waters out of Madison and store it on the trailer. Lakes Mendota, Winnebago, Geneva, and the bay of Green Bay. Taking the first trip on Lake Michigan in my boat this weekend - Port Washington to Sheboygan. Just finished my first open water race (the Hook) on a friend's Beneteau First 32 last month.

Looking for the C26 to do some open-water trips on the Great Lakes and elsewhere when I have more free time.

Glad to be on the forum!
Skipper Dan

Post by Skipper Dan »

Go Packers!!!!
Darklin

Post by Darklin »

fritz3000g wrote:Thanks CaptainScott for the link! Great read on the trip to Cuba and the Bahamas. Seems like the '26 is just stable enough for a resourceful skipper to brave the northern Caribbean.

I'm a few years away from my next boat, which I anticipate will be a 26. Love the fact that it's got both a heavy swing keel and internal ballast - haven't seen any other boats with that nice combination. Just need to save some money both for the boat and a vehicle that can haul her (thinking of a diesel 3.0 Jeep). Also waiting because it's easier to haul around, launch, and rig my Mac25 than a C26, and the time-to-sailing is key in a state with short summers and while I'm still working (approx. 6 more years)

Currently I sail a Mac 25 in Wisconsin waters out of Madison and store it on the trailer. Lakes Mendota, Winnebago, Geneva, and the bay of Green Bay. Taking the first trip on Lake Michigan in my boat this weekend - Port Washington to Sheboygan. Just finished my first open water race (the Hook) on a friend's Beneteau First 32 last month.

Looking for the C26 to do some open-water trips on the Great Lakes and elsewhere when I have more free time.

Glad to be on the forum!
Been sailing my C26 fixed keel on Lake Michigan and have no issues as of yet with the ability to handle the water out there mate. I am just across from you little north of Muskegon.
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

Darklin wrote:Been sailing my C26 fixed keel on Lake Michigan and have no issues as of yet with the ability to handle the water out there mate. I am just across from you little north of Muskegon.
What kinds of conditions have you faced on the Lake Michigan? Have you ever been uncomfortable?
Darklin

Post by Darklin »

few times I have been,
really high winds and I do not react fast enough ( still semi inexperienced with sailing ) or getting caught with a storm coming and I need to duck in somewhere, but overall not too much that has been much more then a "oh crap, this might not go so well "
:P
Skipper Dan

Post by Skipper Dan »

Not Lake Michigan, but I was out on Lake Sakakawea in ND the largest man made reservoir in the US. I was sailing in light winds when within 30 min it went from 5 to 45 to well over 50. I was going into the wind tacking back and forth. When the wind came up I tried to tuck into a bay and reduce the sails with no luck the wind was that strong. I could not get a reef in. I took the jib down and turned back downwind with the main. About 4 to 5 footers but smooth sailing maxed out at 7+, if I remember I tucked back in somewhere and put the jib back up I think I reefed also. I was never concerned at all once I was going down wind. If I knew it was coming I would have been more prepared and it never would have been a problem. I have owned a Triton 28 also and this boat gives me the same easy feeling as that did.
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

Thanks Skipper Dan and Darklin. That's really encouraging.
Eric-Fai

Post by Eric-Fai »

Once I complete the restoration of the Buccaneer 18, I will be sailing on the inland lakes of Upstate South Carolina.
aschavel

Post by aschavel »

We have a Catalina 27, Overdue, that we have sailed in the Delaware and Chesapeake Bays, NJ and MD. We have just recently purchased a Chrysler 26, At Last, that we are planning on sailing around Roque Island, Englishman's Bay, and Chandlers Bay, ME. Currently we are cleaning the boat and getting it ready for winter storage on our trailer until next summer. I am quite impressed with this boat.
jfishburne

Post by jfishburne »

My wife (1st Mate) and I sail a C 26 that we bought a couple of years ago. We felt that this boat was ideal for us since we live in Central Washington and we needed to trailer to our water. We have sailed in Lake Chelan, Lake Coeur d'Alene, Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands. We still have much to learn but each trip has been a pleasure (once we get the mast up).
Attaboy15

Post by Attaboy15 »

Clearlake in Northern California. Great sailing club, KBSail.org Keep my Chrysler 26 at Braito's Marina. :D
Captain Ron
Ice Cream Pirate

Post by Ice Cream Pirate »

So far, just the California Delta near Rio Vista. Looking to get into the bay this winter.