Outboard Maintenance

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Chrysler20%26

Outboard Maintenance

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

This has made, a big step forword in my to do list. Take a look at this site ( www,cottagelife.com ). Time to lern about outboards
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

nice site,

when I moved my boat out of the old marina (FINALLY!) they dug out the original OEM supplied chrysler outboard...it is a 15HP but is so small and light and compact I am very skeptical...it was such a art deco design and had a big 15 on it.... got me wondering if I should service it and use it instead of my brans new 4 stroke 9.9 HP suzuki which is a beheamoth that I cannot even lift.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I'd sell the old one and put the new one on. It's going to be more dependable and will likely be a lot quieter and smoother.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I bought a parts Sailor 280 from down near Banshi's way a couple years ago - owner had to buy a 4-stroke because his marina had banned those noisy, smoky , messy 2-strokes. Another point for the 4-stroke you have.
Chrysler20%26

two stroke or for stroke

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

My C-26 has the same outboard as E E an has always been run in salt water,N. J. The boat has not been in the water in 14 years. I have roled the outboard over by hand, an have taken out the spark plugs to spray in U D 40. I have never tryed to start it. I hope with a lot of T L C it will start. Chrysler did clam to make the best outboard, a lot of power to weight. I got the boat, outboard, galv. trailer, all sails an all needed gear for $2400. Just cant see spending more for a for stroke outboard, sailer's don't use them much. I will be taking my C-20 back home, time for the c-26 to go in. If I have a boat in the water, I sail an don't work on sailboats
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

You may find after not running it for an extended period you will need to rebuild the carburetor. These small engines can easily be clogged up by what remains behind after the fuel left in the carburetor from the last time it was run dries up.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I will have to say that the old 280 pushes me along at a good clip, and even pulls in reverse great.

Not that friendly when it comes to a carb job - you have to remove the electric starter, the ring that goes over the flywheel and holds the starter, and the flywheel itself, plus all the links to the carb itself to get to the 2 bolts that hold the carb on.

But boy do I like having the electric start, and the remote controls, including choke !
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Yes E E I also have the remote contros with the remote chock. An I have (The Service Manual) for the 9.6, 9.9, 12, 12.9, and 15 HP outboards. So if anyone has a ?. I have the 9.9 working good, but it is a manual start. An I have the 12 that came with the 26, an I have the 15. What ever works. Got to keep the two strokes, for the power to weight . An I think befor long, ( Electric Outboards For Sailboats) will be the way to go.