C22 repower

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
billsfan60

C22 repower

Post by billsfan60 »

Need to find a new iron jib to use only for docking and when the wind dies on my C22. What's the smallest motor I can get away with.
Guster

Post by Guster »

It all depends on the conditions. If it is calm and flat you can get away with a fairly small motor. I have a 10hp sail drive now. But when we used an outboard we had a 6hp Evinrude. It worked well but I wouldn't consider anything smaller. But we launch out of a Marina and needed to motor in and out. If I launched from a dock I could sail to/from I would consider a smaller motor.
70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22
Reality

Post by Reality »

I sail on the Great Lakes and have a new Tohatsu 6hp. WOrks great. Plenty of power. very light. very dependable. A small alternator helps charge my battery. They sell them online for a reasonable price, but I went to my local marina and they matched the price (+ tax) and they checked it out before delivery.
Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Traveler »

Thumbs up on the Tohatsu 6hp. I have used one for about five years and never had any problem. Bought mine online and it was delivered two days later. I believe "online outboards" somewhere in Tenn. Jeff
jsa

Post by jsa »

My boat came with a 6hp Evinrude (two-stroke). It moves me around just fine, and it has gotten me home when the winds were too strong to sail.

Truth be told, I rarely even throttle it up all the way as it will start to push the stern under and flood the bilge/stern compartment. Still, I don't think I would want anything smaller than 6hp.
Reality

Post by Reality »

the Tohatsu works great because you can get it with "ultra long shaft". transom bracket to cav plate is 27 inches. It's longer than the identical motor branded as Mercury or Nissan.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Tohatsu also was a plus for me!

I was over kill as I had a 9.8 however I had river and weather and tides to deal with. Only issue with my Tohatsu was it was very cold blooded for some reason!

It never failed me and ALWAYS started and ran, just required some choke fiddling until it was thoroughly warmed up.

Scott
Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Traveler »

Scott, amen on the choke-addled Tohatsu. I have the same issue, and have even had it to a dealer in years past to try to have it corrected. Once it gets warmed up it runs like a champ but runs wild while it is getting set. Dealer was able to make it better but not right. Otherwise, it is very reliable and hardly drinks at all. Jeff
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

FWIW:

I was told they run to lean to meet emission standards.
Rejetting the carb or even drilling the existing jet slightly larger would fix the issue.

I never made this mod so I can not speak to the accuracy of it however it did make sense. Sadly I was handed a serious pile of cash and sold that boat!

LOL!
Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I had the same issue with the 2007 Tohatsu 6hp with 27 inch shaft. However in my case a complete carb tear down and cleaning cured it. Starts with choke out first time, but you can push it right back in soon as it starts.

(Scott, like you did with yours, I added remote controls recently - the outboard conversion parts alone were a bit over $300, came in a single plastic bag with no instructions or diagrams ! Luckily I was able to find a parts list on the web and figure it out. Bought a used control box for $150, they wanted about $400 for a new one.)

It pushes the ComPac 23 nicely.
Reality

Post by Reality »

hmm, my Tohatsu has worked perfect from the beginning. Single pull start. I do use a shot of starting fluid for 1st of the season start. It's critical on these small outboards to prime/squeeze the fuel bulb until it's hard.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Yup!!

Love the remote controls! It was a bit fiddly to get it working correct but once they were working I did not regret it at all!
Scott
jsa

Post by jsa »

What kind of controls are you referring to? Is there a way to bring the forward, reverse, and throttle into the cockpit? I'm using a two stroke Evinrude from the 80's. I hate having to lean over the stern rail to change gear. It becomes really tricky when docking, especially in wind or current.

... and to add to the discussion, I usually have to have the choke about half-way out on the first pull but it typically cranks right up and I can immediately push it back in. 6 gallons of ethanol free gas lasts a loooooong time.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

The controls I used were original Chrysler controls!
Forward, reverse, and throttle for each direction! In the cockpit!

Poke around here! There are folks that do not like them and sell them!
You will have to purchase the parts to adapt the controller to your motor though!

Scott