Auto Helm

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
NoRush

Auto Helm

Post by NoRush »

Anyone using autohelm for their C26? I will probably be doing more singlehanding in the near future and think that it would give me an extra hand for going forward or trimming sails. Right now I have a tiller tamer, but that will only hold a course for short periods of time.

If you are using autohelm, what size and what are your opinions on the system you installed?

Thanks

Jason
S/V Astraeus
1980 C26
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I am using an st2000+ It does a great job but it does suck the power. I do not use it much now since the lakes I sail in a not that big. I will use it much more once I get out in bigger water and do longer sailing trips.
STEVE ROYER

Post by STEVE ROYER »

I have the ST1000 by Ray Marine haven't installed it yet but i had one on my Easterly 31ft that i lost in hurricane Katrina it worked really well so i bought another one for my c26. check out ebay I got this one for 350 + 25shipping new in box best price you'll find any where. makes life aboard a lot easier.
hotdot

Post by hotdot »

I have both a st1000 and a 2000 because I'm singlehanding all the time. They both work great but the 2000 is better because of the increased rod travel speed. The faster speed makes auto tacking much better and it handles the boat more effectivily when running downwind. A couple of weeks ago it steered the boat while I set the spinnaker... my last G/F could'nt do that!