Trouble single handedly launching Man O' War from lake edge

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mattoxgolf

Trouble single handedly launching Man O' War from lake edge

Post by mattoxgolf »

Hello all,
I was hoping for a bit of advice on launching my Man O'War from the edge of a lake single handedly. I often sail across a lake, roll up the sail and explore a bit. Today, when I wanted to return to the car, I tried to launch the boat from the shore into a strong headwind. I stood in the water waste deep and attached the rudder, placed the boat into the wind, pushed off, lowered the keel and tried to unroll the sail and attach it to the boom, but the boat kept turning on me and heading back to shore before I could attach the sail. (I had to jump out to save the boat from hitting the rocks multiple times).
In the past, I have rowed out into the lake a bit before trying to unroll the sail, but today the headwind was too strong and I could not make any progress... (I am tempted to capsize the boat when I am standing next to it, attach the sail and then hop in, but I would assume that there is a better way?) Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated!
Clint
mattoxgolf

Follow-up comment.

Post by mattoxgolf »

Also, I cannot seem to figure out what is meant in the owner's manual by "To lift the rudder blade for beaching, simply pull up on the tiller and pull forward, engaging the stop on the tiller to its fitting on the rear deck to hold the rudder blade up permanently". I am almost certain that I have the original rudder, but this does not seem possible with mine. If I could actually accomplish this, I think I would have a better chance of launching the Man O'War off the beach! Any insight appreciated!
Thanks again,
Clint
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

OH that is a tough one!

That takes a lot of experimentation and practice to find the sweet spot as to where you can sail off!

I've never sailed the man-o-war so I can't give specific tips however I do recommend you go practice this maneuver so you are better at it when you need it!

Scott
mattoxgolf

Post by mattoxgolf »

Thank you Scott.
I think that I always need to have the sail open and attached to the boom before boarding, but sometimes there is so much wind, the Man O'War is pushed into shore before I can get adjusted. You are right that I need to practice more!
Thank you for the message,
Clint
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I can relate; once got a Coronado C15 stuck like that after sailing to close to shore and getting blown onto some rocks. I left the main up and the keel up, but made sure I was paddling dead upwind so it just luffed like crazy until I got deep enough to drop the centerboard, and far out enough to turn on to a reach and sail along the shore then upwind. Never did that again,,,,
jsa

Post by jsa »

Well, I've never sailed a Man O' War but I have done a lot of beach launching on a Sunfish and Hobie 16... both freshwater and salt.

Both the Sunfish and Hobie have rudders that can pivot upwards. I would imagine there is a way for yours to as well. It looks like a boat that is designed to be beached.

The way I launch from a beach on a boat around that size would be to already have the sails raised. What's happening is you are getting onto the boat with the sails down. Your weight near the rear of the boat is going to lift the bows and it is either going to fall off to port or starboard. You haven't established an effective weather vane yet. By the time your pulling a halyard, you're already near a beam reach. You have no sheeting ability, so you continue to fall off the wind. Next thing you know you are running straight back to shore!

My advice for sailing off a beach into a headwind would be to have the sails already raised and traveler centered. Have the rudder down as far as you can get it (assuming it will pivot), ready to be lowered. Make sure the centerboard is secured to the boat and ready to be lowered. On the sunfish, I use a piece of shock chord to keep forward tension on the board while it is raised. Walk the boat out to a water level that you are comfortable with, holding onto the bow into the wind. Pick your desired tack. Place the centerboard in its slot. Push the bow off slightly in the desired direction and board the boat. Immediately sheet in the sail to just off center. As you move forward, steer and begin to try and lock the rudder into place. Keep in mind you will slip sideways a bit until the centerboard is lowered. Once the rudder is locked, sheet in hard and focus on getting the centerboard down. Round up if needed and fall off again as much as you have to until you can get the centerboard down. You want to keep your forward momentum. Once the centerboard is down you should be sailing close hauled.

I hope this helps. Happy Sailing!!!
mattoxgolf

Post by mattoxgolf »

Thank you everyone for the advice. I will make a new post in the rudder section to see if anyone can provide some insight into the rudder pivoting and staying in place!
Thanks again,
Clint