Questions to get her ready for launch.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Bobby

Questions to get her ready for launch.

Post by Bobby »

My goal is to be on the water in a week. I still am not 100% clear on how to use bridles and need to make something. Is there a good post that would explain this that I may have missed?

Each photo will be followed by a question.

Is this the normal way to connect the stanchion to the spreader? The other side is like this too.

[/img]Image

I am missing the plat that should go above the compression post. does anyone have a clear photo that shows how this should be made or original configuration. Does the wiring run through the post from the factory?

Does the keel pin look normal ? The slathered on sealer has me wondering if there is a leak.

[/img]Image

I am going to try using a small trolling motor for now but wondered if I could lower the mount (there are bolts 5" lower now) and be able to use a shorter shaft motor (easier to find used)?

Thanks
Bobby
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

As far as stepping the mast,
here is a write up I did years ago.

Just follow the link. Each photo can be clicked on to get a hires view.
http://www.captainscottsailing.com/?l=4

The keel pin is best looked at from underneath.
Yes, all the gooo indicates a leak was there.

Here is a link to my keel pin repair.
http://www.captainscottsailing.com/?l=3
There are 6 pages of photos including my original keel pin plates and their condition.

As far as spreaders go, that is one method. There are spreader boots you can buy to tidy up the look.

You are missing a wooden block that goes above the compression post.

Keel pin info in the link above,

Use caution lowering the motor mount. If you get into any kind of weather while motoring you boat can hobby horse or bob for and aft. You could easily submerge the head of your outboard. Not saying it can't be done just be aware of that issue!!

Hope this helps!
Scott

Scott
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Thank you for the info.
Is it normal for the top of the compression post to be in contact or is there any type of plate that would go between the aluminum and fiberglass and disperse the weight? Not much room but I thought I could wedge a piece of aluminum plate in there.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

I have been very busy building some tables for a job but have managed to get a few things done. The transom is repaired along with a new motor mount and removable mast support. I will be painting the boat but decided to paint the repaired area with Rust-oleum topside paint to see if I liked it. I brushed out this section and could live with it but will probably use my HVLP for the rest. I think the sailing lube shown in photo was essential for this job.

[img][img]http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr12/InteriorArtworks/C22%20sailboat/CAM01021_zpsjv5kxhtv.jpg[/img]

Bobby[/img]
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

The only time I get to drink Yuengling is when my neighbor visits his brother in PA and brings some home for me.
Bill
Reality

Post by Reality »

my compression post has a wood trim piece around it for "looks". It serves no structural purpose IMO.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

This could be! I never looked closely at mine!
All my C22's had it and I assumed it was a softer point between the post and fiberglass!
Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

The wooden piece at the top of the compression post is just a trim piece...the aluminum post is tight against the fiberglass cabin top.
Bill