It's that time again!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's that time again!

Post by CaptainScott »

It is hard to believe two years have gone by!

Well it has and it is time to haul Destiny out of the water!
A couple of weeks ago we totally scrubbed her topsides and she is looking good however Wednesday next week we'll have her lifted and put on stands.

Her bottom will get pressure washed. She'll dry for a day. Thursday we will sand off all the old paint that has not already sluffed. Friday we will completely wipe her bottom down to get all the dust off, Tape her up and the painting begins! Funny thing is painting goes pretty dang fast! Two coats of Interlux Micron CSC is our choice. Saturday is the work day. We'll be buffing and waxing her hull, water line to toe rail! Sunday around lunch, she'll get fresh zincs, lifted for painting where the stands were, and put back in the water!

OMG! A whirl wind of effort! My bride and I do it all ourselves! It provides a great personal and intimate knowledge of our boat and a great feeling of satisfaction to know we did it!

Any Chrysler owners in the area wishing to see the process are always welcome to drop in and check it out! I've had a couple there over the years and it is always great to see someone new or an old friend!

We're at the Port of Everett in Washington State

Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I'm just finishing up my 5 year ordeal of restoring my C22...I'm old and tired and retired...this summer she will splash in Lake Michigan. I do understand the benefits of doing it yourself....there is no part of my boat that I do not understand. Scott...keep at it as long as you are able and inspire us all....Thanx.
Bill
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Will do Bill!

We have no intent of stopping anytime soon!

I bet you are looking forward to splashing yours! We will as a group need photos of that!

Scott
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Well,
Destiny is "on the hard"!
Yesterday my daughter and son in law met me at the Haulout. I picked them up and we're off to Destiny about 1.5 miles away. We chatted with boat neighbors, chatted with our canvas guy as we are having all the canvas re done. A quick motor up the channel and we we're at the Haulout in beautiful 75 degree weather! We arived early only to get called by the marina. They were late. No worries, we have all day!20 minutes late we were lifted out and the marina complimented my crew and their abilities!

The marina requires that they do the pressure washing and we pay them. They do a good job! My crew left to pick up their pooch who was getting neutered at the time and I stayed to insure proper blocking of Destiny on the stands. FYI my day was way better than the pooch! My bride showed up, we retrieved my PU which has all our tools in it, and we proceeded to scrub the above water line portion of the hull. Dang Destiny looked good having been two years since our last Haulout!

Today found my bride and I with the variable orbital sander and hepa vacuum sanding Destinys bottom! All went well with the exception of my in ability to hold my iPad now! LOL! My arms are sore! Good thing is, Destiny is ready for bottom paint!

Day 3: we wiped her bottom clean of dust with paint thinner and taped her off. My bride proceeded to paint the entire bottom! Awesome she is!
The canvas guy showed up and got the new Bimini installed! We added a small window so I can see the sails while the Bimini is up! I spent the day waxing 1/2 of the cockpit and the stern. We finished today literally moments before the first drop of rain.

Day 4: Waxing day! YIKES! That job just about kills the arms and wrists! LOL! So we spent Saturday wax on wax off. You'd think I was a Karate expert after all that! We did get visited by some boating friends and had a great chat! Many is Destiny looking good!

Day 5: Splash day! Well in more ways than one. It was miserable! Pouring rain, windy and down right nasty. Fortunately I was able to sit under Destiny while cleaning the prop, adding a prop zing and a shaft zinc. Except for the occasional drips I was dry while working! The Port of Everett arrived early to see if we would be ready to go by 1:00! Yep! They lifted Destiny again and gave us time to paint where the jack stands were. 8 total plus the bottom of the keel received the last of the paint!

Woo hoo! a short trip in the crane and the wind died! Still raining heavily but hey, we can motor out of the area without issue! They set us in, we fired up and were off! WOW! Finally done!!

Destiny is safe and sound in her slip!

photos to follow . . . . .
Captain Scott