Mast bridles

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
clair hofmann

Mast bridles

Post by clair hofmann »

Hi Crew
I'm finally going to try to make time to do some work on my 26. I foolishly thought after retiring I'd have more time to work on some of my projects. I work more now but don't get paid for it. Another factor, 10 feet down the dock from the Chrysler is the fully rigged ready to sail Venture. Guess what wins

Our next trip to NC I might get the boat on a trailer and get it over to the house. Due to one electric wire across the road between our lot and the house, I'll have to drop the mast. I thought I had the dimensions for the bridles but going through my notebook I can't find them.

Could someone please help me out

Thanks
Clair
br-549

Post by br-549 »

We are so blessed
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

br-549
Thank you
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I gave up on the bridles a while back, and made up a more adjustable version using chain and carabiner clips. You can then just make sure the center clip on each chain aligns with the mast step, and is also clipped into the right toe rail slots by trial and error. Also lets me reset the whole thing for another boat if needed.

Also took a tip off the board here and am using ratchet straps instead of tying off lengths of line in just the right manner.

Pic of both in use is at

http://www.svemergencyexit.net/AG2/wp-c ... 50x422.jpg
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

EE, I had thought about chains. then I saw the drawing br549 posted and wondered how critical that 24 3/4 dimension is. Do you recall about how far off the toerail the chain is or doesn't that matter? I like the ratchet straps. Did you add a padeye to mast to attach the r straps. If so about how high off the deck?

Thanks for the picture
Clair
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I think the measurement ensures that the bridle center eye is at exactly the right height and fore/aft spot to be aligned with the mast hook IF the bridles are attached to the toerail slots specified in the manual.

And that's the key location. So however you use the chain and whatever toerail slots you use, if you can pass a rod thru the two center carabiner clips and have the rod pass right under the mast hook thats perfect. And you can eyeball that, its not very very critical an inch off.

My issue was I knew I'd never get that bridle and all the loops just right and wind up with the exact length lol. I'm horrible with things like that, so I made a more forgiving version. And you later could use it on your other boat too by moving things around. Note on the ComPac pic, I use stanchion base loops as tie points with the mast hinge pin lined up with the center clip.

The straps also will let you tighten and loosen on the go if you find the mast is swinging or there's a bind from being too tight. Easier for me than staring over and retying the line

EE came with a padeye, and I can hardly reach it when the mast is up, so I guess 8 feet up ?

Your mileage may vary, but it works for me, just don't get cheap chintzy with the chain size, dog chain won't do !

Hope that helps
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

EE
Great description. I'll add a folding padeye. I'm 6 3 I'll put it at the top of my reach Thanks so much for the help.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

You are welcome.